i am so depressed i cant do anything at all what can i do

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi there this is all new to me...i am very depressed been prescribed mirtazapine now for 2 months starting at 15mg now on 30mg....i cant wait to go to sleep and when i wake i dont want to do anything i just stare at floor thinking the worse things are going to happen to me any ideas what i can do just to move regards

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're feeling so low. Was you prescribed this for depression initially? And do you feel worse now than when you were put on them in the first place?

• Posted

hi sunshine thanks for replying...i was put on them for depression initially....think i do feel worse for being on them.....cant do anything just took a valium and feel totally numb..just want this feeling to go away
    • Posted

I was put on mirtazapine for anxiety which worked quite well, I have been off them for 3 weeks (going thru hell with withdrawals!) when I first started them I was tired for the first couple of weeks and then it died off, it didn't last as long as yours has. My advice to you would be to go back to your docs and ask to come off them as they are not helping, (you have only been on them a short time so hopefully the withdrawal shouldn't be too bad for you) perhaps ask if you can try another. Sorry it's not very helpful, it's so difficult to find a tablet that suits and actually helps x
    • Posted

Hi Lesley

I am sorry to hear that you feel like that.

You should not self-medicate ie take the Valium without doing so in discussion with your doctor (I assume that you are noot advised to do this.

I assume that you are under a GP rather than a psychiatrist.

Whatever you should make an emergency appointment with your GP and tell him know how you feel.

You are presumably depressed for a reason. Assuming this is the case you should ask for counselling or see a psychologist.

That is initially the first step.

If you feel unsafe then you should go to A&E.

You also could call the Samaritans but they will listen to you and talk through your problems with you. They will listen to you for as long as you want.

Good luck

Nick

• Posted

thanks for your advice sunshine will try that many thanks for the positive advice  xx
    • Posted

hi nick yes you are right i am self medicating and just drank some strongbow to take the edge off that just made me worse.......will take your advice one the fog has worn off still in pjs mingmonged ...ure comments really help thank you so much  xx
  • Posted

Hi lesley, sorry to hear you are so low, i think others have given excellent advice. Is there a reason for yyour low mood or has it just occurred? I find mirtazapine an effective anti depressant. Originally I was on 15mg which was Iincreased to 30mgs on which I was stable for many years, however my contract of employment was terminated due to ill health in November and I have taken this badly so my doc has upped my dosage to 45mgs at present. I know from experience how easy It is to self medicate with pills and booze but as you know this makes depression worse as well as being dangerous. As others have said contact your GP to discuss, don't keep taking risks and don't suffer alone. Another AD might be more suitable as would CBT or counselling. Good luck
    • Posted

hi sheila thanks for your advice the reason for my low mood is fear of being homeless as i rely on sickness benefits to keep a roof over my head that was the catalist i think......the mirtazapine has lifted my mood but i still sit alone in my pjs ..i am right now...i have no family to rely on and i am very scared which is rediculous at the age of 58......every night i go to bed and think tomorrow it will be ok...but its not..but will take your advice and keep on taking the tablets thanks so for your support  xxx  i do hope that you are ok
    • Posted

thanks for your comments am really struggling today have no incentive to get dressed or look after my flat...do these feelings go away if i stick with the meds....feel like ive been hit by a train and cant regroup myself...much love  xx

• Posted

Hi lesley, I don't know if i can be of much help other than to say you are not alone. I am lacking in motivation too today. I have rheumatoid arthritis and am recovering from severe pneumonia (I was hospitalised for 6 days). Yesterday I managed some gardening in the lovely sunshine but today I can hardly move. Sometimes I feel 100 years old. I used to have such an active lifestyle before RA I was 45 when this was diagnosed. I lost my job due to ill health last year that's when my depression took off. So difficult
    • Posted

Hi sheila thanks for your reply thanks for trying to help but you sound like you need some help too to positive thoughts going out to you....RA must be awful i cant imagine what it must be like to live with that..i count myself lucky ...and fully sympathise that depression sets in when you have no job..its very difficult to stay positive and keep the head occupied,,please hang i there i do hope the pneumonia recovery is going well..here anytime for a chat...thank you...kind thoughts coming to you  xx
    • Posted

Thank you lesley. Yes today has been a horrible one for me. Sad to say I've just gotten under the duvet, just given up! Hopefully tomorrow will be better for both of us! I was at the hospital earlier for a steroid injection to give me a boost. The pneumonia means I cannot take my anti rheumatic med for 8 weeks so I'm struggling with pain and stiffness. Of course all of this drags me further down mentally. It's a rotten vicious cycle . However there are folk with many more problems and illnesses than me so I must try harder!!!
    • Posted

Hi sheila...sorry to hear you have had a horrible day....please dont feel bad about having a duvet day try to be kind to yourself...you are going through so much so 
    • Posted

Hi sheila ...sorry sent message before finished,  state of play today...just to say hang in there you are doing incredibly well considering...so feel proud of yourself.....and yes tomorrow is another day so lets hope its more positive......and if its a duvet day so be it.......sending positive wishes hang in there xx

• Posted

Hi sheila hope that you are feeling a little better today...kind regards lesley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.