walking on eggshells- just can't get on with others in long term

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have some problems that have been with me most of my life- I am moody, people feel like they are walking on eggshells around me.  I get very emotional and suffer anxiety.  I feel that people are against me and lack trust in them.  MY long suffering partner has been a rock but can't always be there.  My question is will my relationships and mood stabilise on starting Quetiapine, which was prescribed today at 25mg? I despretly want to get on and develop a career as all previous jobs have ended with me leaving or sacked.  People can also see that I am very caring, considerate andb loving to others but the problems above overide all the good.  Will my relationships and mood improve?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Altair

I sympathise. You sound a bit like me. I have described myself as being allergic to others. It would clearlybe difficult to work with others in a caring capacity if you fall out with people and you throw wobblies.

There are creative fields such as music or art where you work on your own and occasionally work with others eg in an orchestra or a choir which you might consider.

These days there are many occupations where you can work on your own via the Internet or email and occasionally meet with people.

I suffer from bipolar (is that your diagnosis) and after my most recent breakdown and subsequent long hospital admission I was advised not to work fulltime again (I am now 61). This is partly because they thought that I couldn't cope with the stress.

For instance, I take things very seriously and I would not leave alone things that concerned me there.

Outside work one can generally walk away from confrontation or leave activities where you find that people wind you up etc.

You therefore need to get counselling to consider what work might suit your personality and mental health issues.

Best of luck

Nick

• Posted

Many thanks Nick.  I have been on Fluxotine 20mg and Quetiapine 25mg for two days now and last night was awful as I woke early hours 3ish and couldn't get back to sleep.  However I am hopeful that this will improve my lot.  In terms of work I am a qualified counsellor and have worked for MIND and other charities but it's a lonely existence and want to be around others.  I love people but I sometimes misinterpret their motives or over read or over react to things and my mood is awful -up and down!  People generally like me and approach me but after a while relationships turn a bit pear shape and people get a bit nervous around and I've been told by my partner and others that when they are around me it's like walking on eggshells.  I even contemplated the final solution at one point-thankfully did not act on it.  I want to know if these meds will allow me to function well and continue productive, helpful relationships without p*ssing people off with my moods and over reactions etc.  I did consider counselling and booked with a CBT therapist who basically I ended up supporting during sessions cos she always had a bad day when we met.  I got the courage after 3 sessions to end it but I went cowardly behind her back and told them I needed someone else as it was not working.  I soon just gave up on the idea and did not follow through.  I guess I am looking for a quick fix in short term and while look for a CAT therapist in long term.  Anyone have similar problems in the past and did these meds help?  Many thanks.
  • Posted

I've only been taking quetiapine 25mg for two weeks for anxiety related to my special needs daughter and haven't seen too much difference so far so I might have to up it.  Anyway, taking things as others perceive "too seriously" is not necessarily a bad character trait.  I worked in law enforcemnet for 13 years and was often mocked about taking my job too seriously and by the book.  I eventually accepted this trait of mine as not being a flaw but who I was.  I might add in the 13 years unlike the others I did not receive a single complaint from the public nor receive any reprimands from my superiors.  Find friends who accept you for who you are and don't go chasing chemicals that might change the person that you are if that is the only reason for taking these medications.  I'm sorry for your anxiety, it is such a terrible, often crippling feeling that leads many people to self-medicate with drugs and alcohol.  
  • Posted

Hi Altair, you sound very like me! I too am moody and they swing from up to anger to down within hours. I decided to seek help as have been on and off anti depressants for a long time. I have been diagnosed with Cyclothymia and I have been prescribed 25mg quetiapine, twice daily. Only started last Friday so not feeling too great tbh but know they will take a while to kick in. It's the drowziness that is the worse during the day. I should be at work now but have had to tell boss I will be in late as was a zombie at 8am. I can relate to your anxiety problems as suffer really bad and sometimes just cut myself off from all of my friends and family but like you consider myself to be a decent person so don't want to be this way.  I am hoping this drug will help me but all I see are bad reviews about it! How are you doing so far as see this post is a few weeks old? 
    • Posted

I've been on Quetiapine for four or five weeks now, 50mg before bed, and I'm feeling so much better.  The fatigue just lifted about a week ago and I find I have so much more energy now and thinking more clearly.  I know all our body chemistries are different so it'll work differently for different people but please persevere if you have just started on it.  I take it about 6pm at night and have no problems getting up at 5am each morning with no lingering tiredness.
    • Posted

Sorry, I was looking at my previous post three days ago and it was Paroxetine I had been on for two to three weeks and Quetiapine for about four weeks. Over the weekend it seems I just broke through the fugue and nolonger feel exhausted during the day.
    • Posted

Glad to hear it is taking effect. I'm just concerned I have to take it two separate times a day! Only thing I can do is see if the zombie like side effects wear off. Must admit it's after 10am and I feel ready for work. Just a shame I'm suppose to be in by 8:45 😁
  • Posted

HI Altail.

Sounds to me like you may have Borderline Personality Disorder. My fiance has this same exact behaviors you're talking about. Weve been together 4 years now but over the coarse of the 4 years I have gotten severe anxiety and panic attacks because of feeling I'm never doing things right, he thinks I insult him all the time when I'm not etc etc etc. Anyway now I am on seroquel 50mg. It's helping me tremendously. My fiance isn't on any meds. He was on 5 dif meds as a teenager and Risperdal. It gave him gynoclamastia and now he won't take any meds. I know this medication would help him so much. I feel amazing and I know this would help him too. He did try abilify for it but he lost all sex drive and it actually turned him into a zombie like state for 6 mos post taking it (only took for 2 mos ) Abilify is awful! I do not recommend that one to anybody. How are you feeling? Are u still taking the seroquel? Is it helping your symptoms? Have you had any weight gain? And what's your current dose? I'm very curious how your treatment is coming along for the sake if my fiance and our relationship.I know he truly loves me . .I just wish he had some relief from his thoughts taking him over and controlling him like this. I hope I didn't offend you in anyway. AND very sorry if I did. Maybe we can help each other find some answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.