6 Weeks Post Ankle Surgery...need help!!!

Posted , 137 users are following.

Hello:

I had surgery 3/2/15 for a fracture of the left tib/fib and spiral fracture of the ankle.  I had a rod inserted and 7 screws.  For 6 weeks I was non weight bearing, but 3 days ago I was told I could start partial weight bearing.  I need some guidance if anyone is out there.  First, it is normal to feel the pins and needles on the bottom of the foot and how long does that normally last?  Am I doing any additional damage to the foot if this tingling i continuing?  And also, I noticed today my ankle/foot/toes is very swollen.  I am elevating the foot now and have an ice pack on it.  Is this also common and any recommendations on how to help this?  Thank you so much for your help.  Any would be greatly appreciated.  I am just at a loss, beginning to get depressed and just want to finally hear that I will walk again and soon!! Thank you. Danielle

5 likes, 446 replies

446 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Pins and needles are normal, and so is the swelling, you're doing the right thing with the ice pack and elevation, just take it slowly your ankle will tell you when to stop. I'm at the end of week two partial weight bearing and can already feel a difference, and find it much easier to get around, you'll get there even if it feels like it's taking forever.
    • Posted

Hi Susan:Thank you so much for the response.  I go on Tuesday for my second day of outpatient PT.  The first day was Friday but was really just an evaluation. You mentioned that you were at the end of your second week of partial weight bearing.  How are you doing now?  Where are you at with the actual walking?  I just want to feel like I will get there, but days like this is seems so far off.  ANy help will be so appreciated.  THank you so much
    • Posted

Hello I too had a Rie surgery I'm starting my 11th week I am in a boot cast I have no pain I've never had the pins and needles in the bottom of my foot I did have a plate and I'm a fan because I just located it and I think 546 screws are put in for the surgery in less than 3 hours I broke the tibia bone in two places and the fibia bone was broken as well what I'm having is just swelling a lot a lot of swelling and I'm not going to PT I'm doing it at home via YouTube so I'm going to see how that turns out since I have no pain I'm assuming that the hardware is what it's doing what it's supposed to be doing I did have a little scar tissue and one area but I Google that as well and they said to massage that area and that little blister like not would go down or go away and it sure did I'm practically within 72 hours it was gone so that's what it was that was around the scar tissue was around the outside by where one of the Staples was I'm in a boot cast and I'm walking I'm in the apartment without it but the swelling is what I'm concerned with that's the bummer part about it but those first weeks were living you know what and I was so depressed and I lost my job and I had to have a walker and a porta potty a potty chair in my room haha and I had to have them I couldn't use the crutches that was a joke a lot of people who are saying get the scooter chair if you still have on a cast I would highly recommend you're getting the from Walgreens or CVS if you're in the area that has those stores getting a shower curtain looking cover up for your past and has plastic like a shower clear light blue and then it has a elastic band around the top that fits very securely that keeps all water out of the cast and it really really worked and it helped me tremendously thanks for letting me share on here and it has been very helpful and Danielle you will get where I'm at and I'm just thinking that I'm not going back to the doctor because the beginning it got infected the Staples did because I'm bandaged the wound area and the air Airborne cause an infection and I had to take 4 weeks of high potent antibiotics to get it to go away but they had to recast it weekly so they could look and see how the infection was healing and that was a bummer and then it got wet so I went to the ER Dr said there was no infection and so I ask them for a boot cast in that was in my 7th week and I've been using it ever since and I have no pain so I think the hardware is doing what it's supposed to be doing just the swelling need to get some exercise in that area to get the blood flow by moving in that area and I'm beginning that now in week 11 so I'll be getting that now and weak 11 yet alright bye bye

• Posted

I wish there were some way that we could edit our post because I'm talking texting and it's saying whatever it wanted to but the fan is not bad I had a pen put in and I had oral surgery

• Posted

I had a plate put in and 6 screws and a pin because I dislocated it.

NOT 546 SCREWS. LOL

• Posted

Hello I fell and broke my ankle in two places but was told it was not dislocated . The orthopedic PA saw me in the emergency room put a splint on and told me I needed surgery, even though he said my second X-ray looked good. I'm scheduled for surgery on Monday, but I'm not sure about having the surgery. Any information about my situation?

• Posted

I had 2 ride and six screws and my ankle bones fused together. I am 7mos post surgery and my ankle is still so swollen it looks like a grapefruit is in there. I have alot of pressure/pain when I try to walk without my "boot" on. I'm not trying to give you a negative or Bleak Outlook I'm just trying to give you a little bit of reality that it could go either way you could have all your swelling go down all at once and be able to walk great or you could be like me and going on a year later and still has to walk with the big boot or crutches

• Posted

I am counting my blessings. I will return to my life it will be different but I'll be ok. My life will mean doing things different. Not confusing my ambition with capabilities. It will not be without pain but it will be a life. I will do my job different but I have a job. I see so many people on here that suffer so much worse than me and my blessings add up to " I'm doing well. ". I personally hated the boot only used on off on off on off for a week 1/2 too painful and I knew of the secondary injury caused by not being instructed properly on the use. My secondary injuries are from spinal crutches and wheelchair. I wish you a good recovery and a great new but different life.  The best advice my dr gave me was. "You will never be 100 % we are aiming for no less than 90% "My expectations have almost been met. 

• Posted

Hi happy 2016, I hope all is going well on your journey. Would it be possible or to get an update on where you left off at week 11, I know it's been 8 months since but how did progression go. I am just about at a month after initial break 2 weeks after final surgery and would appreciate any insight. I still have a long way to go and it's hard to stay positive especially as when life is finally going good difficulty happens! Thanks in advance

• Posted

Hi there. I broke my ankle in 3 places last year and have loads of screws and plates in it. The pins and needles are normal but I know how weird it feels and it really bothered me more than anything I couldn't even put a shoe on for weeks after my plaster came off or stand the quilt on top of it in bed. It's now 14 months since I broke it and I still have pins and needles but nowhere near as bad. I can only wear sketchers trainers as they're the only thing comfortable. I'm 58 so I think this has a lot to do with it but things are a lot better than they were. I can drive again and do my garden but still have a bad limp when I'm bare foot and still have to have codeine now and again. But really the pins and needles are very unnerving I know but it does get better. Don't let it get you down. You will soon be feeling an awful lot better. Take care
    • Posted

Hi Pami56:

Thank you for the response.  I am just hoping to be able to get to back to some type of normalcy.  It has been so difficult as I am sure you understand.  I have only had 1 day of outpatient PT, and it was really just an evaluation.  So when I go backon Tuesday I am hoping to start really working on it.  Thank you for the encouragement.  I am really hoping to feel better soon.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Pami, Your experience seems to compare to mine, and similar age.  I am now at 13 weeks post surgery, was non-weight bearing for 12 weeks, so only just on crutches, having mainly used a frame for non weight bearing (easier to do stuff and carry stuff).  I get pins and needles under the foot and an 'electric shock' along the plate, down the front of the leg. It is still very swollen especially at the back of the ankle.  Your tip on Sketchers Trainers is good, as I am wondering what to look for. Did you get a size up. At what stage were you able to drive.  I need to drive for my job, and I am wondering how easy this will become and when;  also coping with stairs - when was this easy??  I must make decisions and it is difficult to do so when the future is so unclear.  I hope you can help.

• Posted

Hi Danielle it is tough going when we are use to living busy lives, I had my accident on the dreaded Fri 13th Feb. I had surgery with pins and plates and was non weight bearing for nearly 8 weeks. At 6 weeks it nearly broke me with the frustration on being able to do so little, oh to carry a drink from one room to another. I did get very good at my flamingo look balancing on one leg to do things in the kitchen and to wash... I had my plaster off 11 days ago, my first physio session is tomorrow and I can't wait.. On having my plaster off it was like off you go then see what you can do.. I have moved from 2 crutches to 1 crutch to managing to get around the house without anything. I am very swollen most of the time and it hurts every time I first put weight on it but once I am moving its more of an ache.. I managed my first trip to asda on Sat for over 2 months thank god for Internet shopping and delivery. I needed to have the trolley for support but it was great to be out..I am not driving yet not sure when I can..will be good to here what physio say as not sure if I am doing any harm. Would be good to hear what people are wearing on their feet as socks dig in slippers dig in and leave ridges.. We will get there Danielle stay positive think a small weight bearing is a step towards carrying a mug, plate or just standing firmly on the ground x
    • Posted

Hi, I purchased socks from Amazon that don't have elastic in tops. I thought they would bag down but are actually brilliant. A pack of six pairs were only £4.99. As for footwear have found sketchers go walks are also very comfortable. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.