Hard lump just below right knee

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was exercising yesterday and went to kneel down on a bench and it caused a slight pain, more a discomfort in my right knee when I kneeled on it. Never had this before but when I checked I noticed a hard lump that feels like bone just below my knee, top end of my shin. It's more or less painless apart from when I kneel directly on it or press it really hard and even then the pain is minimal.  

After looking it up the most fitting thing I could find was osgood schlatter disease but it says the main symptom is pain where mine is virtually painless, any ideas what it could be? 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You are probably too young for osgood ... Sorry.  Maybe swelling in the bursea ???
  • Posted

My son had osgood schlatters disease in his teens, rested from sport for about 6 months and has been fine ever since but the lumps under his knees still remain now at 40. Coincidentally a dr has just mentioned it on a tv programme. It usually happens in your teens or early twenties and it's whilst  you are growiing. Same advice, avoid sport apart from swimming for a while and it will settle was the doctors advice. 
  • Posted

Oops...sorry meant to say "old".  As Kay says it is a teenage problem especially with jumping sports.  
  • Posted

Thanks for the responses guys. 

I'm 21 and also play football 2 or 3 times a week also so it could well be the case, it was just the lack of pain I found strange more than anything if it is swelling or osgood. 

I'll get it checked over when I have an appointment in two weeks time too. Was just curious as I've never noticed it before.  

• Posted

Hey Callum

I've stumbled upon this lost whilst searching for the same problem. I only noticed my lump today after a 70 mile cycle. Not painful really just boney and quite noticeable.

The only thing I can see is OS but again, being 27, I'm too old.

It's only on the right knee.

Did you get an answer from your doctor?

• Posted

I suffered a fall while running (triped on a wire) and banged my right knee a bit. Since then I have developed the hard bump you guys describe and minor soreness.  More when I run.  Is it my patella?  What's the cure?!

• Posted

I just had the same thing happen to me 3 days ago, I was walking kinda fast and I tripped and fell on my leg right below the knee (tibia) and all of my weight was put on it my leg got scraped up and I got up and kept walking, the next day I noticed discomfort in my leg and when I touch my knee/leg or put my weight directly on it, it hurts a lot and I can feel something that feels like bone move around when I move or touch it, but I can walk around perfectly fine without pain it just feels weird and is discomforting, I am 14 and a girl, please let me know if you found out what it was.
  • Posted

I have the same exact issue and its been about a year and a half since it showed up. My doctor said something about misplaced nerves or something like that. It's been awhile that I've forgotten what it exactly was. Just keep waiting it out I guess because mine hasn't gone away yet.

• Posted

Its called Tibiae tuberosity. In most cases I've been told that it isn't painful but it can be packed in ice or massaged if it hurts .

• Posted

My wife has a really noticable lump just below her left knee cap for years and years ...like yours it is pretty much painless...she is not worried about it except to noticing how weird it looks...I mean I don't  know?   Is this something to be concerned with?  Or just another weird feature like a mole or birthmark or whatever??   Lots of things are totally benign ...my dogs have lumps that the vet blows off as typical non benign "masses" that lots of dogs have .... I think every elderly dog I have owned had them from time to time ...are people the same?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.