My story and how I beat globus sensation

Posted , 164 users are following.

I made a promise that if I got better I would share my story on this discussion board in the hope that I may help someone. All the posts on here were a great comfort to me when I was experiencing this awful condition.

It all happened about 8 weeks ago. I was in the theatre and just sat down to begin the show when I ate a sweet normally, took a sip of water normally and afterwards felt like I was having difficulty swallowing. My mouth went super dry and I felt like a had a lump in my throat and my tongue was enlarged (it wasn't). I thought perhaps I was having a reaction to something so before the interval I had to leave and get out of there. I felt complete terror and danger and thought I was going to die. My husband was worried and took me to A&E. I couldnt breathe properly but was not wheezing. I felt like someone was strangling me, standing on my neck and I was in a complete panic that came out of nowhere. Apparently I had a panic attack or severe anxiety episode. Well, I didnt believe this diagnosis because I had over the years suffered from anxiety on and off and bouts of low mood but even when I have faced the most difficult times in my life, never have I had a panic attack so wondered why on such a happy day I would develop this. Anyway the initial attack was only the start of my problems, I was told the symptoms of my choking sensation would go away within a few hours. It didnt. This made it worse and I was not so easily going to put this down to stress as most things seem to be these days. I went to my GP who said I did seem to have some swelling in my neck and ordered me an ultrasound. As I couldn't wait 3 weeks for the paperwork to come through I saw an ENT consultant privately who put a camera up my nose and down my throat and said everyhing looked perfect and likely to be globus sensation which is common when experiencing panic attacks and anxiety. This only gave me some comfort because I was still feeling these awful symptoms. After the 4th week I had scan and this showed nothing. My thyroid was perfect, which I suspected may be the issue due to my high thyroid antibodies, although I knew I had normal thyroid function. This was also some comfort. I was suffering, and it was really really getting me down. Having to get up every day and go to work was so hard and I was so anxious I was not sleeping or eating well. I thought I would have it forever. After a while I started to think, well this isn't going to kill me as time has proven, its not getting worse or better so I need to start trying things to see if anything helps. I also had a strange crawling sensation in my neck not on top of my skin but underneath - hard to explain. Also when I put chin to chest I felt like the part between my neck and chin was swollen. I tried breathing exercises, hot water bottles, hot baths, drinking red wine, taking NSAI's, drinking loads of water, trying to eat better, sleep better, watching funny films but nothing worked. I then found a couple of websites online suggesting a very simple neck exercise to do many times throughout the day and specifically for globus sufferers. I started to do this and over a week the symptoms started to ease and has got better and better to the point that its only 5% there. The most important part is to make sure your shoulders are always down and pushed back as far as you can. No hunched shoulders or it won't work. Then carefully, with mouth closed, ease your neck back as far as it can go, all the time looking up to the ceiling. You should be able to feel yourself stretching your neck. It may make you cough a little. Then roll your head a little to left and right and centre. It probably won't work the first go. you have to do it many times a day over a week or so. 

My GP said that panic attacks can cause a lot of problems in the neck, real tension and muscles, and other structures and a horrid sensation of a lump in your neck. I have to understand now that this is the cause.

Apologies for the long post but it's a long story.

I hope it helps someone.

Good luck to you all and take care of yourselves.

x

35 likes, 1120 replies

1120 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi, I have suffered from globus for over 18 months. I went to ENT and got the same answer as you. It was very servers at first, I take omeprazole for acid reflux since then. My GP put me on antidepressants for anxiety, but the globus was the thing that started it all. I have got better, but still have flare ups of really bad globus that last about a week. I just try to forget about it and it gets a little better, but it's always kind of there. Thanks for the tips I will try it x
    • Posted

Good luck Amy. The only time I really feel it now is when I'm trying not to cry at the TV, it's such a similar sensation but g
    • Posted

Yes that's the exact feeling it is when your going to cry and try to stop yourself.
    • Posted

i have been suffering with this for 6 months i am trying to learning how to carrying with it and i didn;t work either so any good advice for me ?
    • Posted

CURE : 

TAKE 1 ANTI HYSTAMINE tablet  :  Cetirizine 10mg

Its a low level histamine attack on your body , thats why your throat closes like a bee sting its not life threatining just annoyence .

enjoy the cure , had it for 10 yrs finally got answer . I tested neg for all allergies this is a hystamine release from body unrelated to allergins , mine is caused by immune system attacking itself due to heat , others get it from drinking COLD water . write back let me know if FIXES .. cheap fix to a life draining problem .

• Posted

Where can we get this tablet? And do we have to take it on a daily basis or just once?
    • Posted

Hello Jim

?Thanks for the advice. It was funny too cause I had that in my closet. I've been thinking about this maybe being an allergic reaction to the Volcano dust that comes here to Hawaii from the trade winds. I just took it and hope it works . I never had this before until I came to Hawaii to live. Many people here said that you could get affected and I hope you help me find the reason why I have this problems with my throat. I thought for a while that may be stress related too since I've been in a lot of stress lately. What I notice is that it goes away when I drink white wine. Is strange but it does take it away. Let me know if you still doing well.

• Posted

Nice one, I tried desloratadine and it worked for me thanks a lot. It's a drug that contains anthyhistamine. I think Anthyhistamine helps.

• Edited

Hi

I’m going to try this ive had it since 2011 im also taking antidepressants and acid reflux meds and neither have eased the symptoms.

How long after taking ceterizine did you notice a difference?

Thanks 

• Posted

Zee, after you took desloratadine did your Globus, gagging go Away?
    • Posted

hi yes i thought taking the pills was worried tho long term they are bad?? 
    • Posted

yes, mine goes away too, when I drink white wine - especially Chardonnay!

• Posted

How long did you take centrizine? And how many times a day?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.