Post Op Boot is very Painful

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am hoping someone can describe through a picture or message me a link to an alternative boot that I will then email to my surgeon to get his approval...I have NO ROOM in the toe area and have the terrible "bunion pain" that I have not had for 10 years because I faithfully wore wide enough shoes with orthotics in them..Anyway, I am 61 inches tall and this boot is so heavy also, and I told my doc that I need to come in and get another boot - they will give me this same one in an even bigger size and I cannot bear to wear this one...my sutures in the bunion area just are throbbing - so if I can get something picked out, I am hoping my surgeon will let me get it myself...thanks for any options you can suggest...

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have a small boot that goes to my ankle they gave it to me after surgery n its lite idk how to send a pix but its small n goes to ankles feels like a shoe hope it helps a little
    • Posted

thank you, Tanya.  I need to clarify - my achilles was cut on the back of my leg so I need one that comes up my leg and holds my foot at 90 degrees.  maybe I will send some pics to my doctor and talk to the foot doctor's office to see what alternatives would suit my doctor..SO, I do need something set at 90 degrees that goes up my knee, but I am hoping there is another choice - maybe not.  how about this QUESTION:  how many of you wore a boot similar to this one I have post op?  anyone?  again, thanks.
  • Posted

It seems to me that the only other option would be to have a plaster cast made with your toes showing.  I only had a wedge shoe, as didn't have Achilles op, but even that was uncomfortable, I kept it off when sitting and just about used it to walk.  Hope you find an alternative, sounds painful.
    • Posted

Barbara you are leading me to what I think is the best alternative...For four hours last night I, in a sense, reinjured the painful area, cramming it into the stupid boot which is way too heavy & clunky - I have emailed my doc my latest idea I just posted with pics. thanks.
    • Posted

Sounds good I hope it's not doing an damage though, you obviously need to keep foot from moving the Achilles.  Keeping your foot up higher than you show will also be to your advantage.
  • Posted

Hi Susan, while you're waiting for advice from GP and Forum, have you looked on the web or YouTube?  There seems to be a video of boots & shoes.  I hope that helps.  Sorry your in such pain but you've had a lot done.  Also have you been given good pain relief?  You shouldn't be moving your foot much except for necessities either remember. 
    • Posted

thank you Mumbles - I will look at the videos, good idea.  I have vicodin right now; yes and I must hold myself back from doing too much, but I can whiz around my house on the knee walker, which I love...
  • Posted

I will read all the replies, but I wanted to update you as to Jim's (my husband) good idea:  use the half cast they took off and I brought home,)put black stretching braces on big and 2nd toe, sock on, rest leg in the cast and then bind my leg and I have something for the foot to bind it - very comfortable and something I can live with until I can  maybe custom cast, which I think caught my eye last night from one of you.  What concerns me is stuffing your foot that needs to heel into a "one size fits all" which caused me immense NEW pain, it does not make sense to me...
    • Posted

I think the reason the boot is tight is to stop any movement while your foot heals.  I really would see a professional rather than trying to adapt as you could end up without the correct support.  Good luck and keep taking the pain killers and elevate your foot.  
    • Posted

okay, I will see someone tomorrow - but I cannot wear a boot that is rigid and hits my healing area...you are right...
    • Posted

I'm glad you'll get sorted out.  Maybe you need a slightly bigger size of the same boot?  Let us know how you get on, it must be horrible for you.  
    • Posted

My surgeon sad no more than one week with the makeshift cast; SO I'm heading down tomorrow to get fitted with something rigid that does not cause me terrible NEW pain...Thank you all so much...My surgeon is very nice about answering my emails...lol
  • Posted

my huband is getting me a larger boot of the right kind my surgeon wants today so i am happy about that.  Thans for all your advice
  • Posted

My new boot.  It gives me the toe space I need - I realize that the Achilles with it's long slice into it and lots of staples is the reason I need this boot...so now my surgeon is happy and I am happy...I do see that I have to raise it higher.  It is so heavy that the pillows just crush down - I do have the ortho wedge - so I need to use that.
    • Posted

Delighted that you persevered and sorted out this lovely boot!  Well done for your quick result too.  It's not a problem I've read about on this forum so you've also helped others who might suffer from the same problem.  Now you have to just keep your foot elevated as you said and don't fall over it as its so heavy! 😁 
    • Posted

yes, I thought it was just a scarf bunionectomy and hammertoe cutting and pinning, then the week before op, he says I'm going to go into the back of your leg and cut (something) that will allow your achilles tendon to drop down...I believe I will still need to wear a splint every night when this heals.  I can see the reasoning for a tight boot to hold everything in place, but when it causes NEW pain that is intolerable, then I cannot do that - securing it is one thing, but the pressure against the bunion area (which in my case still sticks out somewhat) IMO is just starting down the road to forming a bunion again very fast... - 
    • Posted

How is it going?  Hope the new boot is working for you.  That must have been a shock, knowing your having the Achilles done too!
    • Posted

Hi Barbara,

1.Couple of pics of my foot – I think it is looking better – pics of the scene from my “sickbed”

2.Now I have a very heavy, clunky boot, but necessary to keep my foot at 90 degrees to my leg – the Achilles lengthening will not work unless I keep this stretch.  I do need to be careful getting on my knee walker as it is easy to get snagged up in this boot.

3.  I’m starting to get a little down.  My time with no wt. bearing on my left leg has extended by at least 1 more week, and even when that starts, it will be a very little each day…I think I need to read more and start a cross stitch project.

4.Jim has been a fabulous caretaker.  Classes will be over for him May 15, thank goodness.  His main problem is getting clutter picked up by May 13, when the house is cleaned.  I can do absolutely NOTHING like that, and we cannot see hiring someone and directing them to clean up our mess…I think we need to go room by room and I could supervise and maybe move some things while on my knee walker.

5.Something to look forward to:  Monday night at Abbey Resort – May 18- on Lake Geneva.WI - 

6.Tuesday night at Fairfield Inn, Moline, IL, so we can see nephew Austin play Varsity High School at his high school and be with more members of my family.  It is a 3.5 hour drive west to get to Moline, IL from our house.

7. One question – we think a wheelchair would be safer for this trip where Jim can push me and lift me up a curb for example, rather than me trying to propel myself with my right good leg on the knee walker – I believe a wheelchair would be safer for me for a trip like this…some of you may know through experience the answer to this.

I hope everyone is progressing as much as possible and not in immense pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.