Shingles Buttock and Vagina

Posted , 7 users are following.

Diagnosed 2 weeks ago. Acyclovir 800mg for 7 days.. never experienced anything like it. Itch is driving me crazy. Only thing that relieves it temporarily is ice packs. Has any ladies on here experienced this?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Mar,

So sorry you are suffering.

Is the rash truly one-sided, ie did not cross the midline of the body, and did the vesicles-blisters come in crops? This is to differentiate the Shingles rash from other rashes.

If you are truly only having itching, which from personal experience I can attest to is agonizing unto itself, here are options to help.

Oatmeal baths (Aveeno in the States) will help relieve the itching while you are in the bath.

Continue the ice packs.

The prescription medication DOXEPIN is the best anti itch medication. It is an antihistamine and sedating, but with the amount of blisters and itching, that is what you need. Benadryl does very little to control itching..

I hope this helps. Sorry I took so long, but am at my twin's home. Her server is sporadic and it is 4:25AM, the best time to use the Internet. Please let me know if this helps. Call your physician today for the Doxepin.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks so much. Will be visiting my Doc tomorrow.Marinax
  • Posted

Hi. I found heat via a hot water bottle better than ice and bought an electric blanket last winter. Used it so much it packed up working! ! Ha ha. Have a try though. I've even tried heat patches but the sticky glue affects my skin. Do not need any more itching!

Am still waiting for a fellow sufferer to say, I tried so and so and the pain has gone, but this it will be a long wait somehow.

Chin up

Barbara

• Posted

Thank you Barbara. Will be re visiting tomorrow. Marinax
  • Posted

Hi Mar12.

Hot water bottle very good for my shoulder/neck/arm pain but not sure it would help in your situation! lollol Pain killers plus anti histamine, (one which makes you drowzy) helps a bit at bedtime. I've just started my 5th bout since just before Easter and going mad very quickly now! frown

• Posted

Hi Re visited my Doc. Admitted into hospital with secondary infection. Cellulitis, swollen buttock right round to public bone. OMG!!! Hot, pain, itch, but too painful to scratch. Already had Acyclovir for 9 days. Antibiotic drip for 24 hours. Things calmed down from what it was. Home now with 9 day course of antibiotics, anti histamens and Co codamol. Shingles will have to run its course now. After reading so many posts advising Lysine caps, I acquired some from Holland and Barrett Health Store and also lysine ointment, which is quite soothing. Very depressing, but keeping busy. Standing or walking is uncomfortable but better than sitting!! Anything to keep your mind busy😔

• Posted

Oh, ecky thump! What a nasty situation. Good thing you went back to doc. My son's had cellulitis a couple of times and tends to get shingles on his nose! (Not cold sores!) Hope you're soon feeling better. I might try the Lysine caps and ointment myself when I go into town again during the week. I keep getting recurring rash in my scalp.

Look after yourself and rest up if you're feeling tired. It helps the body fight off the virus I'm told. I'm 72 in a couple of weeks, the "right" age for shingles apparently but not yet had vaccination.

Best Wishes, Ellie. rolleyes

• Posted

I have shingles and they have moved up from the back of my mid-thigh area to the lower buttock section. This has occurred over the last 2 years which is starting to scare me and before that they laid dormaint in between that area for 2 years. I am 50 years of age and was 35 yso when my doctor told me that a vaccine was being created but it would not help me as I was already diagnosed. But, I made sure to tell me 76 y/o mother to get the vaccine.
  • Posted

Hi Mar

?I just found this site today, I have had shingles in the same dermatome as you for the last 8 weeks but the itching (inside and out) just started a few days ago and its driving me crazy. Did you ever find something to relieve the itch? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.