macroplastique injections advice needed!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello just wondered if anyone has had these injections, can't seem to find out any information about them.  Already had tvt surgery which was unsuccessful so really want more information before I have another procedure.  Thank you for any advice.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi my advice would be look threw the messed up mesh "mum" for short site you may get a few answers there and with info you get of this you may get your answer. I got offered Botox after my sling op. But I have many complications with it so suffering with urge and slight stress as well as a lot of pain. But I am hoping my new consultant can do all this after the tape is removed I wish you luck xxx
  • Posted

I had the sling Feb. 2014 didn't work completely. I ask for a second sling to criss cross for extra suport. Dr said he wants to do macroplastique injections, briefly said they inject in the urethra tube for bulking, if that didn't work he would do another sling. He never gave any details or info about the injections. 2015 I developed severe abdominal pain it got worse 2016 had a lot of tests done.. Recently finally got into Dr he ran more test thinking this mass was cancer. After many test, painful exams, 3 different see examini,g together, it is the injections I had. The injections have formed a granuloma at The urethra and bladder. He says nothing can be done. I will love my life in severe pain with days I can barely walk, cough and hard to move along with the strong urge to urinate but I have to push to go to the bathroom every 20 to 30 minutes because I can't empty my bladder. Day no to injections.

• Posted

My advice on Macroplastique:  Avoid if you have any other alternative.  I had injections in 2013.  After the injections I couldn't urinate for three days.  When I was finally able to urinate, there is no pressure and it feels as if I'm urinating through a straw.  I have subsequently had two more surgeries to remove the material from my bladder because of persistent UTI (bladder infections).  One surgery kept in the hospital for three days.  Removing the materials has helped but if I had known what I know now, I would have NEVER tried this treatment. 

I understand the feeling of desperation for some relief from incontinence. :Living with constant bladder infections, which for me eventually turned into an over-active bladder (needing more medication) has been miserable. This treatment has turned my otherwise very good health into constant medical treatment and antibiotics.  I would suggest trying accuputure or monitoring foods that inflame your bladder.  I would never recommend injecting a foreign substance into your bladder after all of the medical problems this created for me.

• Posted

Thank you all for your responses.Im so sorry you have had horrible side effects. I think i will pass on the injections and try to live with it. Naturally my uro gyno didnt tell me thses side effects. He lied about the sling so that is why i posted to get some "real" info on procedure. Hopefully a new treatment that doesnt have all the sude effects will come out soon. Take care and thank you for sharing your experiences.

• Posted

Hi Ladies,

Sorry that you all have not had great outcomes with your treatments.  I'm a stress continence expert and have to say that the issues you report are not device/product issues rather they are surgeon issues.  Mid-urethral slings for Stress Urinary Incontinence have 90% cure rates and the highest possible complication rate of a 5% chance of mesh exposure (mesh coming through the incision when healing). This can be treated quickly in-office with just a little snip of the exposed mesh.  Mesh slings are the gold standard for SUI and one of the most studied implant in the world.  There are few surgeries on planet earth with that kind of cure/complication rate.  In addition, through all the mesh litigation the last 5 years more studies were order and these implants have been deemed safe.  I would lean toward a mini sling if your SUI is straight forward.  If anything ever went wrong in the healing process you can access all of the sling to remove it and you haven't but the sling anywhere else.  Transobturator slings have the highest complication rates bcz they go through the growing and have a small risk of contraction and can cause pain.  Depending on the type of sling the complication ratio above will vary slightly.  I would recommend this surgery to my mom & wife.  

Urethral bulking has a similar safety profile but their is no risk of mesh exposure as the implant is a silicone elastomer that the body would just dissolve and excrete if it became an issue or was not put in the correct way in the urethra.  50-75% success rates but UBA's are indicated for ISD (itrinsic sphincter deficiency) as Slings are primarily used in Urethral Hypermobility.  Each approach does much better in their specific indication.  Urethral hypermobility=Slings.  ISD= bulking (Macroplastique) (Generally).  The issue of a granuloma at the bladder neck is operator error.  Slings & UBI's are implanted at mid-urethra and should never form a granuloma if implanted under the mucosa correctly.  Granuloma's form when their is a perforation and the procedure was not done correctly.  

When a well trained UroGynecologist or Urologist implants UBA's or slings things generally go very well.  When an Obgyn tries to do reconstruction procedures there are higher rates of complications bcz they go to a weekend course trying to learn these procedure and don't have the many more years of surgical training the other two specialities get.  85% of the mesh litigation were Obgyn lawsuits because they don't get the same reconstruction training and surgical experience that the other surgeons get.  Obgyn's need to stick to babies, hysterectomy & birth control procedures.  Nothing has ever been found defective in these products but in the end device companies become liable for the bad outcomes of bad surgeons. 

In summary, I would go to another highly thought of UroGyn or Urologist that do 10 of these cases a month vs. an Obgyn that does 5 a year.  You can find these best of the best surgeons in highly populated cities.  Rural surgeons tend to be sub par in my 15 yrs of experience.  They general can't compete in the dense ptnt. areas and move into underserved areas.  This is the trend I've notice.  Let me know if you have other questions or want the suggestion of a good surgeon in your area.  Don't give up home, there is always a resolution with a great surgeon.  All the best!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.