Chilblains - symptom alleviation using Dettol ointment

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dettol ointment works for me every time, with symptoms disappearing within a few hours.This is hard for me to understand in light of the apparent cause and I have no biomedical explanation, but I wanted to share my experience anyway.

These days I apply it at the first sign of that weird hot slippery-toes feeling, and from there the symptoms rarely progress (reapply two or three times per day). But even if I let it get bad, Dettol seems to work fast. I typically discontinue after a few days.

I had no success with anything else, including using prescription-only cortisone cream (try anything, right?)

Disclaimer: I have not been clinically diagnosed, and by all accounts my symptoms are not as severe as some I've read about. But since it worked for me there must be others for whom Dettol will be effective. If you are a medico please refrain from dissing the idea too badly – I have a degree in biochemistry and I know that there's no real basis for a topical treatment affecting chilblains. No harm in trying?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thank you. I try anything !!!

gry

• Posted

Sounds like it might be worth trying Bruce but are you sure they're chilblains?  Might be a fungal infection perhaps.  Do you get numb and pale fingers or toes several hours before the itching and burning starts?

As I said somewhere else, I'm trying the calcium/vit D supplements this winter, and also gingko tea.  And giving up caffeine.

• Posted

Indeed it might not be chilblains as I've never had a diagnosis. But I suspect that many others are in the same boat as me (and self- or misdiagnose) and so antiseptic cream is still worth a try.

For me the symptoms begin with a sensation that's kind of 'cold' and 'slippery', if that makes sense. Each of my toes feel like they're covered in oil (they feel that way only to the other toes, not when touched by hand). It only happens in cold weather.

Evil bloody condition, huh?  

• Posted

Oh, and also I tried antifungal preps, with no success, before stumbling on Dettol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.