Severe Bloating

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All

I have IBS and all symptoms of Levator syndrome so put my self on Magnesium Citrate 100mg they have helped a lot with muscle relaxsation but now I have a VERY VERY bloated uncomfortable stomach, anyone else had this problem with Megnesium?

Regards Pamela

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm not sure if my symptom is caused by magnesium, but I started to have bloated stomach around one day after I took calcium supplements with magnesium in it. 

Have you stopped taking magnesium? does that help?

I don't think I have IBS cause my bowel movement seems pretty okay & consistent, but I do feel gasy and rectal pressure that makes me feel like I want to pass gas but nothing comes out. Oh but I burp more often and my stomach grumbles so I certainly think I have gas, never thought that magnesium can cause excessive gas in guts? 

• Posted

Hi

I have only been on Meganesium for 13 days for muscle relaxing reasons and it has worked, one of my symptons for rectum pain and presure along with a number of other things. I found a site called Pelvicpainhelp, you should check it out! I've just bought there book called A headache in the pelvic. So I am a bit concered about stopping right now as i've had 6 months of constant pain. Thank you for your reply. I will see how it goes.

Regards Pamela

• Posted

Hmmm have you tried other ways of relaxing the muscles or go to physiotherapy? 

Do you mean that the magnesium supplement has helped you with your rectum pain and pressure? I think mine is the opposite, it might have caused the bloated stomach (or generally bloated gastrointestinal system) and thus rectum pressure. Don't think it's due to muscle spasm  sad 

For the constant pain was it mainly in the rectum? 

It's strange cause I thought dosge of 100 mg (for my case I took 85 mg a day) isn't that high, but it can give us such a funny stomach!

Please share with me if you have found any solution to your bloated stomach smile I think I will cut down or get rid of the magnesium in my supplement to see if it helps.

Thanks! 

• Posted

Hi

Yes the magnesium has defiantly helped with the muscles in the rectum. I thought a supplement would of been safer than all the drugs the Drs have been given me and I also thought 100gm was low from what I've read.

I have had to sit on a heated pad for months as nothing helped the pain even pain killers so I was quiet please when I read magnesium helped this problem, which it has but now I have this massive belly! I look like Iam 10 months pregnant if that was a possibility.

I am actually waiting for a pain management appointment, I've had every test they can possibly do and everything is clear.

I have never had bloating this bad ever! Looks like I'll have to stop them to see what happens.

My rectum pain is like sitting on a burning ball that raidiates pain to my front and up my back, with spongy pins and needles feeling too.

I've not sat down properly or been able to drive or go to work since it all started.

Hence the reason I was chuffed to find magnesium citrate tablets and I did read these are the best to tolerate.

what other ways can you relax your muscles? which type of magnesium are you taking? And for what?

This really bad bloating has started in the last 4 days I've been in magnesium 14 today.

Regards Pamela

• Posted

Hmmm that sounds like a tight muscle compressing the nerves in that area.

I'm not sure about muslces in rectal area in particular but to to relax a tight muscle the logical way is to lengthen or stretch it? though can't really imagine how it's gonna be like for that area. Have you tried seeing a physio?

I am taking calcium citrate supplement with magnesium oxide in it. The calcium citrate supplement is for another issue I have which I was desperate to resolve and I think is helping, so the magnesium isn't the thing I was after. 

Did the bad bloating happen gradually or suddenly? 

• Posted

Hi 

No i've not seen a physio, probably one I haven't seen, ha ha ha.

Bloating just started suddenly. I am actually at my GPs tomorrow so I will ask her about Magnesium.

Yoga is good for stretching which I usuall do but i've been to ill and in pain to go, which is odd when it can help, all the different drugs i've been given have made me really bad though! I've ended up in hospital 3 times because of them.

Well i'll keep you posted on the bloating.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Pamela

• Posted

If strecthing helps then it's probably a good idea to go to a physio! They will teach you ways to stretch your tight muscles taking into account of your pain smile

Hope your consultation with your GP goes well! I've been cutting on my magensium so far and the bloating seems to get a bit better but my rectal pressure is still the same sad 

No prob and yes please keep me updated smile

• Posted

Hi

Went to my GP this morning, yeah she has confirmed magnesium can up set the stomach! So she said since there helping with the muscle spasms take one every other day, should help.

Are you having your pain investigated? It's really awful pain and very embarrassing too.

She's given me a website to look at but unfortunately am in bed with a migraine so will check it out tomorrow now.

Regards Pamela

• Posted

That's good to know! Hope your stomach bloating will be better without having an increased rectal pain smile

I think I might consult a GP soon but not sure who to go to, to be honest I don't have confidence in them. I thought my rectal pressure has something got to do with gas but after stopping all source of mg from last night, I still feel bloated esp after meal and the rectal pressure seems not that relevant to abdominal bloating.

Let me know if you've gotten useful info from that website! Thanks :D

• Posted

Hi

The website my Dr gave me wasnt actually a site it was about diet, rubbish. It was FODMAPS diet if you read that then theres nothing left to eat. She is suposed to be getting me some other information too, so we will see.

Think you should change you GP if you feel like that, you need some help.

Regards Pamela

• Posted

At least she is trying to help haha!

I don't really have a regular GP so I'll try someone from my uni's clinic but they are usually not that great. I just feel like a GP would not have much knowledge on gastro-intestinal prob sad

How's your pain after stopping mg?

• Posted

Hi

Any GP should have knowledge of a number of things really so you should get your self a good one. I only stopped Magnesium for one night as DR said have one miss one, the pain started late on yesterday so they are definatly helping with the muscle pain that's for sure.

• Posted

Hi,

I went to the GP today and she said I probably have constipation! She examined my tummy and said it was hard on some areas (that's the poo!), so gave me some medicines to relieve. I really hope everything will be fine after taking the medicine smile of course with the maintainance of fibres (which is hard to take sufficient amount). 

Maybe when you are less pain days you can try to stretch? Think that'll help you more with your prob smile and I really think physio is worth going if you want to rely less on magnesium

• Posted

Oh that's good then, see how you go with that. I am already taking fibre for my bowls too. I've been back in touch with my GP this morning about my wait for pain management!! Still waiting for them to get back to me.

Good luck with the meds👍

Have a good weekend.

• Posted

I took 2 tablets of dulcolax and 2 tablets of coloxyl and that was a huge mistake! Having bad cramps and pain in my stomach and diarrhea sad think the dose was too strong for me (the doctor just asked me to follow the instructions on the MED and I did). Have you tried these before?

Just curious for the fibers, what are you eating mainly to get enough amount? I read that lentils have high dietary fibers so will try to eat more of that so that I don't have to eat that many fruits and veggies (it's hard to have 30g just from them)!

Thanks and hope your GP will get back to you soon!

Have a good weekend too smile

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear your having problems with them MEDS! No I've not tried them, ive been on fibre gel for a while it's more natural.

I have just been changed to movicol last three days incase the fibre is contributing to the bloating! Been ok with both really.

My GP rang me Friday telling me she has printed off a lot of information about a diet that helps IBS people so I am picking it up tomorrow, here's hoping.

I've been bad with migraine the last few days too, but feel a lot better today thank goodness.

Hope your feeling better too.

• Posted

I've stopped the med cause they are making me sick! I think I can pass descent amount right now even though sometimes it takes effort to stimulate. But sadly the pressure is still there & I do still get bloated easily. Going to the doctor tomorrow again and hopefully she gives some insight sad

How's your bloating? Hope you are doing okay with the pain too smile 

Your GP is so helpful! 

Good to know your migraine is getting better! I've been feeling tired and sick from this symptom, it's such a distraction sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.