CHICKEN POX?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm looking for some advice please. I managed to avoid chicken pox for 48 years ( all my siblings and children had it ). I have developed a rash and it's starting to blister, with blisters in my mouth, extremely hoarse, swollen glands and severe headache. I developed a chesty cough yesterday which has got gradually worse today..are these normal symptoms or do I need medical attention? Thank you x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

All those are normal symptoms but if you catch them in time you could be prescribed anti virals to make it less severe. I think if you take the anti virals within the first 24 to 48 hours of having these symptoms they will still work. I took them too late and they did not help at all. Do seek for medical attention because the older you are the more severe complications can be, including pneumonia, so go see a doctor ASAP! Take care x
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your advice, too late for the anti virals, spots started on Friday and G.P has no appointments until Wednesday! x
  • Posted

You could argue its an emergency as chickenpox in adults is very serious, I managed for a GP to do a home visit and prescribe me very strong painkillers to help me sleep, thats how bad I was. The best you can do is sleep it off probably. For the itching the calomine makes a mess, there is another product, a clear gel called vira soothe I think, it is a lot easier to apply. Keep it chilled in the fridge for extra relief. And dont knock any of the scabs off before they fall on their own no matter what or it will leave marks! I should know! Best of luck, CP is no fun at all x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.