Sleeve or Bypass?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm due to have surgery within the next few months at Luton. I was set on having a gastric bypass, however, after researching further I'm swaying towards the possiblily of a sleeve. I'm terrified of needles (despite being a type 1 diabetic for 30 years, the irony!) and I'm aware that with the bypass 4 deep muscle injections a year are needed to top up the body with the nutrients it misses out on due to the bypass. I know which ever surgery I opt for I will need to take a daily vitamin.

I've read that the bypass has a higher rate of weight loss, however, am I correct in thinking that the sleeve will allow a more 'normal' diet with smaller portions?

I understand which ever surgery I choose there will be dramatic lifestyles changes.

I am already on the 'milk diet' and in 10 days have managed to lose a stone, at my next appointment (June) I will have been on the milk diet for 5 and half weeks (I thought it would only be 4).

At my next appointment I will speak to the obesity team more about which surgery to opt for as I always have lots of questions.

Can anyone please give me their opinions on which surgery to opt for and their choices to the one they chose? A band is not an option for me.

Thanks in advance smile

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Beano,

I had the sleeve on 31/03/15, at my initial appointment I originally wanted the band and my surgeon wanted me to have the sleeve but at that time I thought it was too drastic so he booked me in for the band and I went away and did more research and obviously changed my mind. I was a bit rough after the surgery but it all depends on how you react as my brother-in-law had the same surgery 3 weeks later and was completely different to me. In my opinion the first few months after any of the surgeries are the hardest as you have to slowly introduce textures of foods and it can be a bit hit or miss. The good thing about the sleeve is that the part of the stomach they remove holds the hormone Ghrelin which tells you when you are hungry (quick explanation) and I have not been hungry since the op, now if you get what is referred to as "head hunger" you may still get this, luckily for me I didn't really suffer from this. So no hunger means you have to remember to eat, although I have found that when I need to eat it has to be there and then, no waiting. Negatives with the sleeve, it is not reversible and if you are not careful over time the sleeve stomach can stretch, that's the only things I can think of. So for me including the 2 week prep diet I am 2 pounds off of losing 3 stones, I feel good and Pinterest has become my best friend for recipes!!! Vitamin wise I take two chewable tablets a day, that's about all I can think of. Do what is best for you long term, the estimates that are given re weight loss are just that estimates, it all depends on the individual. I have seen and read about those that have lost all their excess weight with all 3 surgeries. Good luck in what you decide and any more questions I can try and answer x

• Posted

Hi there I am having a gastric sleeve in 3 weeks time and l very up and down about it I am terrified of GA but feel have to do something l am 54,and getting bigger every year !!

I would really appreciate talking to someone who has experienced it first hand any ideas

Best wishes Sue

• Posted

Hi Beano , I am also with Luton & Dunstable hospital was refered for Gastric band but was told they are veering away from bands as too much maintenance (refill) & failures . The nurse said at first it would be a bypass, but on meeting the surgeon at my last appointment March 30th he recommended the sleeve for me as you have your lower intestines intact for the absorption of other medication. So I did 4weeks on the milk diet, & now awaiting my op sometime in June😊 Mx
  • Posted

Hello Beano, I was in the same position as you and it wasn't until the morning of the surgery that my surgeon and I decided on a sleeve. I/ we felt that at the age I was, late sixties, the bypass was a bit too extreme. I can eat anything I want. I tend tohave minor difficulty with pasta and rice. I still don't eat slowly enough and yes my portions are tiny but the weight loss is well worth it. What I still struggle with is the physiological side. I have attended a couple of CBT courses which have helped. Good luck. Hopefully you will lose the diabetes as well as the weight. Thinking of you. D
  • Posted

Thank you so much for your fast replies.

Dianne, I would love to lose my diabetes, unfortunately this is not possible with type 1, I have had it since I was 12 years old and it's going nowhere sad

The more I read about the sleeve the more I'm opting for it, like I say, I need to speak with the surgeon.

I am getting slighty impaitent (maybe it's just me), as I would like a date to when the surgery will happen. I study full time and also work a lot of hours at work. As well as that I want/need a holiday this year but dare not book anything, I feel like my life is on hold.

I am an active person despite my size (was over 18 stone a couple of weeks ago), I'm sure once I have the operation to help me lose some weight I will be encouraged to do more exercise so the difference in potential weight loss doesn't worry me too much as long as I lose some.

As for head hunger I don't think I really get it (well, I didn't until I started having so much milk!). I've never been someone who snacks either, it's just about portion sizes for me.

• Posted

I forgot to say, well done Mollymoo on your weight loss smile
  • Posted

Hi, I had a gastric bypass at Luton three years ago. I lost about six stone afterwards. Over the past twelve months or so I have put on two stone due to eating the wrong sort of food. I am trying to get back n track now though.

Afterthe operation you do have injections for about a week if I remember rightly. I take calcium twice a day, an iron tablet, a multi vitamin and have B12 injection every ten weeks. this is for life now but doesn't cause any problems. 

The surgeon I had at Luton was Dr Barac, lovely man. Good luck, it really is worth having as it changes your life. I do not have high blood pressure now or take medication for diabetes. Howevr, I have been recently diagnosed with an underactive thyroid so take medication for that.

Regards.    Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue I am also under Mr Barreca, my op to have a sleeve fitted is June 25th. The under active thyroid is prob to blame for your weight gain, I had gained 2 stone before I was diagnosed ,then couldn't shift it. I don't have diabetes any more due to losing a stone on the milk diet😊 x
    • Posted

Hi Sue, thanks for your reply.

I am lucky in a way that the only meds I take are insulin via my pump and my asthma inhalers, I also suffer osteoarthritis which is another reason to have the op.

I hope you get your issues sorted soon smile

• Posted

Hi Marilyn,

how long was it before you were given your op date? I will have been on the milk diet for 5.5 weeks when I return to Luton and am told I will then have to follow a liquid and low calorie diet for a set time before going back on the milk diet. I'm just really impatient I suppose.

Great news on type 2 diabetes reversal, if only us type 1 diabetics could reverse ours smile

• Posted

Yes that would be good Beano, I first attended Luton in December last year so it's taken 6months, but I was in a weight management course here in Northampton for about 14months & they accepted that as part of my 3tier as I had lost a stone with that ,that took 14mth ,milk diet for 4weeks lost a second stone,so have come down from 16.4 to 14.4 but I'm only 4ft 10inch. So I had a lot to loose. X
    • Posted

I too did the tier 3 course for food nutrition and exercise etc and actually gained weight (how depressing).

I first went to LAD in January, my next appointment is June for the re feed diet. I'm just so desperate to get the date for the operation as hate being on hold.

Let's hope the dates come around fast for us. Good luck Marilyn with yours smile

• Posted

Do you know when in June you are at L&D, I'm there on the 4th for pre op then on 25th for my op (sleeve) it is a waiting game I'm afraid ,at my age 66yrs I hav'nt got time on my side...but I've been asking for this for nearly 10years. 😛 good luck with the refeed. X
    • Posted

Hi Marilyn,

I will be at L&D on the 9th June (I think).

I too have been asking for surgery for a while, at least 4 years. I was going to fund it myself but the doctor told me I could get it on the NHS due to my other health issues. I'm so close now yet still seems so far x

• Posted

It will soon come round now, where do you have to travel from? We are only about 36miles way but it's a treck when you don't have a car, I mostly get a member of my family to drive me but it can be done by National express. X
    • Posted

Hi Marilyn, I am fascinated by the differences in the pre-op and post op practices. I had mine at University College London and we only had to do the special diet for 2-4 weeks before theop. Once accepted we see all the appropriate departments, dietician, psychologist, etc on the same day and then an op date a week or so afterwards. The diet was weight watchers soup, yoghurts. My surgeon wanted me to do it for four but the nurses disagreed. I didn't think I could do it but I was fine. I was in my late sixties too and scared I would be turned down for that reason but I stressed that the women in my family are very long lived 80s and 90s and I was getting to the stage of being house bound I was so weary of dragging my 26 stone around. Just getting ready was exhausting. I lost 6 stone so I am still very large but the difference to my life is miraculous. I have got back my joy in living. Going out, dressing in pretty smart clothes. Hang in there and write, phone and pester them to let them know how keen you are. Good luck D

N

• Posted

Hi Marilyn,

I meant it seems so far as in the time length. As for mileage that's pretty far too, I live 135 miles away from L&D and the trip itself is about 3 to 4 hours drive each way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.