petrified... so many side affects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi...

I'm absolutely petrified at the thought of taking this medication... There are so many side affects and I don't want to get more diseases through treating crohns disease... The thought of getting cancer makes me feel sick... I have two little boys that need their mummy.

My crohns is active as my sample inflammation levels came back at 458 but I am symptom free and feel 100%

How does anyone else feel on this medication? I'm due to start it soon but feeling rather doubtful.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am on medication, I just feel tired on them, been on them for a month. I have crohns of the vulva, I just want flare up too go away. Yes, I have that fear too but, might not happen. I hope this helps
    • Posted

Hi stephaney, is it Azathioprine that you are taking?

There are so many worrying side affects....

I'm contemplating Chinese accupuncture first to see if it reduces my inflammation. X

• Posted

Well,

I know people who have taken it for over a decade with no side effects, indeed look at the leaflet that comes with the pills and most side effects have odds of 1/10,000 to 1/100,000 and are unlikely to happen to you whatsoever.

The alternative is to be like me where the azerthiaprine did not work, my colon perforated and I ended up with major, emergency surgery to prevent my imminent death and have spent the past few months getting over it and using a stoma bag after having an ostomy done.

I would take the pills if I were you

• Posted

Hello,

Firstly i hope you are ok and are recovering well after your surgery.

Did your colon perferate because of the medication? 

It is so scary seeing the words written that this medication could cause lymphoma cancer and skin cancer... i have two very young children and i do not want to risk leaving my babies without a mummy and dying of cancer....

But obviously there is the risk of not taking them and having life threatening issues through that aswell...

crohns is a cruel horid disease!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi,I've been on azathioprine for 26 weeks whilst reducing my prenidsolone.every medication has side effects.you just have to weigh up the pros and cons .the only side effect of aza for me was a sicky feeling,but that soon passed off.i read everything about the medication before I started it,the serious side effects are rare and for me it keeps my autoimmune hepatitis from flaring.your consultant should be able to answer your questions.good luck .its a worrying time for you,it was for me and my children but I do feel well on my medication x
    • Posted

Hi Janet,

I'm glad you feel well on your medication.

It is a very scary time, going into the unknown...

I got diagnosed about 13 years ago, and havent taken any medication as of yet. So it came as quite a shock to get my results and them say they want me straight on this medication!

I am contemplating trying Chinese accupuncture and Chinese herbal tablets first to see if they reduce any inflammation, I'll try anything before I have to take the awful ones with horrific side affects! X

• Posted

Yes, I'm on Azathioprine. My mum had to wait  up to 2 years on a waiting list  to get  accupunture. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.