Long QT syndrome

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I've had seizures since I was 3 and I'm now 20. I've had numerous ECGs over my life and they all came back fine apart from second degree type 1 block and sinus tachycardia. However the seizures have we've been solved. I can have them when I'm extremely scared/worried or when I have a fever and am ill. Or they can occur randomly. I'm concerned as I've recently read about Long QT syndrome. Is it possible I could have this? Or does an ECG (numerous times) rule it out. I'm very worried! Also. If anybody know. Am I more at risk of sudden cardiac death or heart attack with type 1 heart block and sinus tachycardia? Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Amie2015.  Am so sorry to hear of your heart problem.  I would say that if you have had several ECGs it would have picked up whether you have Long QT Syndrome.  You are like me in that I suffer with my nerves and being anxious or worried exacerbates my heart problem more.  If you are still worried about what you think may be wrong, you should discuss it with your doctor who may arrange other tests.  Try to keep calm and focus on your breathing.  I can fully understand that when your heart mucks about it becomes very scary.  Take 10 deep breaths. Diana
    • Posted

Hi Diana, yes I thought that it would show on a regular ECG as well but I have read that sometimes there's something called concealed long QT where it doesn't show on a regular ECG and with me having seizures if I get extremely scared or shocked I'm worried I could have it. I've seen so many cardiologists over the years I'm just hoping it hasn't been missed. X
    • Posted

OH MY GOSH!! I have the same exact fear! This is because ive done all the reading and the articles are saying s$&@ like "long qt isnt always caught on an ecg and may be missed and stuff.." I had 5 ecgs and they never picked up anything! I went to a cardiologist too and got all the tests done and everything came back great and he said my heart is perfect!

Sinus Tachycardia is when the heart is in Sinus rythym but it has an elevated heart rate. I had these on some of my ecgs.. But the print out said "otherwise normal ecg" which made me feel better. The heart works like this... Its made with a conduction system. The sinus node is responsible for sending a signal to the Av node.. Which will send a signal down the bundle of his.. And will cause the ventricles to contract. Type 1 second degree heart block is when the signal takes longer to reach the ventricles.

If you've been to so many cardiolgists.. And everything is fine.. Then i wouldnt worry so much. Seizures can happen due to stress and fevers and seizures like these are actually quite common.

Now here are some questions,

Has anyone in your family been diagnosed with this?

Has anyone in your family passed out for an unknown reason or out of the blue?

Do you have a family history of cardiac arrythmmias heart attacks?

Has anyone died a sudden death in your family before age 50?

Have you passed out during physical activity?

Have you been on rollercoasters and had no problem?

How many ecgs did you have?

I highly doubt you have long qt syndrome. Usually people who have this condition usually have a family member who passed away from it already or they have early symptoms themselves. It could be silent but its not that silent if you know what i mean.

• Posted

And no.. Second degree heart block isnt really dangerous.. But if you are concerned about that you could talk to your doctor on how to treat it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.