Oedema Should I drink more or less?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please can anyone tell me if I should be drinking more or less fluid (water, juice etc) as my Dr told me to drink less but most websites say to drink more? My oedema is not very bad and strangely is in only one leg but it makes it feel heavy, tight and uncomfortable. I have followed my Drs advice to drink less and elevate my leg but it's not improving. Should I try drinking more in case my Dr has got it wrong? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello kaydi I have swelling only in one leg as well. Mine is my left been happening over a year now and its very noticeable. My doc thought it was because of my under active thyroid but now that he says its normal range he doesn't know I haven't had it looked at by any other doc like vascular etc. But my doc says drink lot of water.
  • Posted

Hi Donna, Thanks so much for your reply, I was beginning to think no one was ever going to reply. I asked a nurse if I should be drinking more or less and she too said more so I then spoke to my Dr again, I told him most websites and the nurse said to drink more but he still insisted I should drink less! I feel so confused. Has anyone else with oedema been told to drink less or more water, juice etc? If so I would love to hear from you. I only have one kidney so have always been advised to drink lots of fluids to assure this kidney doesn't fail too so if my Dr is wrong I could be doing myself damage in following his advice. Any advice welcome.
    • Posted

Kaydi I'm just curious is it your left or right leg?
  • Posted

Hi,

yes you definitely need to drink lots of fluid! It is one of the most important factors of lymphoedma care, along with raising your legs above heart level,when you can, skin care and compression hosiery.

i have had primary lymphoedma all my life - 46yrs. I'm trying to get colourful compression tights on prescription at the moment. You can even get batik dyed 😊

• Posted

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I've only just seen the message. I feel so confused as I spoke to my GP again about this and he still insisted I need to reduce the amount of water I drink!! I could kick myself as two days ago I saw a different dr at the practice but didn't think to ask her as I'm sure the other dr is wrong. 

Yes I do sit twice a day with my leg raised above heart level and this really does help. As for fluid I've not reduced like the dr said but I'm not drinking lots either, just the same as I've always drunk. 

• Posted

I have had this stupid stuff all my life.The only way to help to live with this. Is to drink less and to prop your legs up  don't let the hang down for long periods of time. Rest when you can and keep off your feet and take water pills. that is the only way you will live a long life. You might try a vein clinic to see if your valves are working correctly.
    • Posted

even if you only have it in your right leg. keep  it up and drink less. that is the only way to help this out and don't forget  the water pills. one tablet a day should do the trick.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.