Relief for migraines? Pepto Bismol (seriously)

Posted , 12 users are following.

Relief for migraines? Pepto Bismol (seriously)

I stumbled led on this after a stomach ache; the next day my head wasn't throbbing so much! I googled it and 100's of people have been reporting this. Try it, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I take it 4xday and it comes in tablets or liquid. 

FYI - I suffer from chronic daily severe migraines. More than once I considered ending it all. I've had these for 30 years!!! I'm mostly bedridden. 

God bless all of you pain warriors!!! I hope this helps someone; please let me know what you find. 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm just recovering another 'head-banger' so I may well giv this a go. As you say, got nothin to lose. Will let you know how I get on.
    • Posted

WOW! And, I thought I was the only one to call it a "Head- Banger"

So sad, that is what I can relate to you....I may as well try the chalk tasting pink too!

• Posted

Yeah! Must be from the same era Rocketman. Anything is worth a try but not everything works for everyone. Unfortunately I get in-between symptoms which now include severe ear pain and I can no longer enjoy my music at the levels I was used to. I wonder if cannabis is any good as I know of an MS sufferer who gets benefit with this. Anyone else know of possibilities?? Best wishes, Liz.
    • Posted

Oh yes, I did try cannabis(lol) did not work for me...:P I have tinenitis...my spelling is horrible please excuse it-and I have many ear pains- sharp ones as well as all over the top of my head. I had sinus surgery, a large cyst in my (L) cheek area...of course this doctor that would end my pain!
    • Posted

Mine started after a bad viral attack over 2 years ago but all the symptoms seem to change and I have similar pain to those you are suffering. I take Gabapentin 900 mg three times a day and if I miss a dose or try to reduce it, the migraine intensifies so much I almost drove into the harbour. Thankfully the blogs in this forum have given me support and I hope I have been helpful in turn. I really think there is no one answer but live in hope. Xx
  • Posted

wow   well I will try it for sure.  I hear you on the pain and despair of the migraines.  I have them just about daily, take Imitrex just about continually -God knows what that is doing to me but hey I gotta have a life!!  Good luck and God bless. 

I am on disability from the headaches, I missed so much work I got in trouble all the time. Employers just dont get it!!

• Posted

Thank you for this, I've had a bad 2 weeks with a migraine every day, Dr will only give 10 triptans a month so I have to cut the tablets in pieces as thats the only thing that helps.

Everyone on the Forum who say had enough I so understand as I am at the end of my tether nothing works for me, last week someone mentioned asprin that did not work, whats wrong with me ??

I will go to buy pepto bismol, will try anything

Thanks glad you found something that works

• Posted

You need neurology referral and a sympathetic gp. Keep on at them.
    • Posted

I haven't found a neurologist or GP that's compassionate until I moved to San Franciso sadly. Good luck.
  • Posted

Having botox on thursd for migraines will try pepto bismol bfore i go
    • Posted

Hi Angela291164,

Please don't try it just before Botox , the consultant will not be able to tell if your condition is being affected by the Botox if you mess it up by taking another med not prescribed just before it.Botox takes time to work you are wasting the NHS money £3000 approx per trial the docs and your time if you make any additional med that the consultant doesn't know about.It actually may be ok but ask the consultant first.Botox is not a cure nor is peptones Bismol but give Botox a try first .Its helped me a great deal many others here .No one I have ever consulted has as yet found a med to prevent the hemeplegia which for some long term is worse with paralysis at any time for any length of time days, weeks, months .If pain is your major concern then try Botox first.Its a very expensive treatment and many many Hm sufferers are on awaiting list to get on it .Dont waste the opportunity now it's been given you.It can work within a few days or works gradually over a few weeks the majority of those who ve had it have had some success with it.I know many who'd be glad to take your appointment

think about.. Good Luck Yvonne

• Posted

Thankyou for your advice ill wait for botox after forty tears of suffering xx
  • Posted

I've had Botox, been tested for h.piloi, MRI's, CT Scans, blood flow studies, topomax (3 rounds), physical therapy, and I've been to every major migraine pain center in the U.S.,  I've also had occipital nerve blocks, trigger point injections, sympathetic nerve blocks(both sides), biofeedback and on and on... I hope this gives a little more background and answers some questions. 
    • Posted

maybe try acupuncture   I think I am going to try it again, it does help with the pain...
    • Posted

Wow! I have only had half of what you have had. I am so going to pray for you. I, too have chronic migraines almost daily. However, Zomig nasal spray usually knocks them out. I just wish I wouldn't have to take so much Zomig. Botox, imitrex, maxalt, accupuncture, massage, topamax and aspirin did not work for me. I was going to try trigger point injections to see if it would reduce my headaches. I'm curious about the pepto bismol. I will stay in touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.