Strange feeling in left side of neck

Posted , 10 users are following.

It started about 5 days ago, I was sitting at my desk and all of a sudden I started to get an ache under the left side of my jaw, and soon after a headache began, for the rest of the day, I went to lie down hoping it would go however it didn't until the next day.

The next day the headache was gone but the aching remained, and it still does now. I went to the doctors 2 days ago because I was worried I may have been a DVT in my neck, however he assured me it wasn't, since the symptoms of that would first be shortness of breath due to it stopping off at your lungs first.

The day after going to the doctors, my neck started to feel thick, sort of like someone had there hands around the left side of my neck, and I can sometimes feel it uncomfortable to breath (but only on my left side), if I lift my head up, I can breath easy like normal and it becomes unnoticeable.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? The doctor thought it may be eye strain causing muscle ache or something like that, and I bought it until now, however then I didn't have uncomfortable breathing. The uncomfortable breathing isn't constant, sometimes it goes, for example after I wake up, I'm fine for several hours then it slowly builds up again.

Some background information on myself; I'm at a desk almost 24/7 while I'm awake, which is why initially I was worried about it being a DVT. Prior to the aching, my neck would click (and still does)if I tilt my head to the left or right, I'm thinking this may have something to do with it since I have some bizarre feelings sometimes when I move my head. Generally I'm healthy with no medical illnesses.

Should I be worried?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have the same symptoms as you. So just to ask have your symptoms gone or have you discovered the cause?

• Posted

I have pain which starts at the back of my head and spreads out into my jaw and left side of face and temple. Sometimes my neck is stiff and my left shoulder aches. Not managed to get to the bottom of it I'm afraid other than to say I have been told it is musculoskeletal in origin and working with a physio at the moment to try and alleviate the proble.
  • Posted

Have you managed to resolve it. I have similar problem and attending an Osteopath as GP wasn't

interested.

• Posted

I have been having severe cramps in jaw (left side) starting from under my ear moving down to my neck since last September. I dont have any headaches just the pain which is terrible and I have to take deep breathes to calm dowm.

I am going to have an MRI on the 18th Sept on my neck and spine and hopefully this will show what may be going on with my jaw.

• Posted

Good luck with the MRI. Mine is down to tight muscles in neck and jaw. Having some physio and addressing some posture and anxiety issues, so hope that will help. Xx
  • Posted

I'm having the same thing almost. My left jaw has been killing me and I can't open my mouth hardly. The pain goes up to my ear but also all the way down my neck. My neck is very sore and it has that thick feeling you mentioned. I haven't been able to eat or even feel like getting our of bed. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and was wondering if that could be a cause.
  • Posted

I have been experiencing the same thing. I googled it and there are a few things that came up. Tonsillitis is one and an ear infection. I assumed it was an ear infection because my left ear kept getting stopped up at night and also that's when the pain would start under my left jaw. So I started taking amoxicillin and sucking on coughbdrops. It helped for a while now its back again. I'm hoping it's not tonsillitis. Maybe I just need some more antibiotics. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Thanks!! I actually found out that my RA has settled into my TMJ joint. I only feel it now when I have a flare, but when I do it's horrible! I hope you feel better!!

• Posted

did you ever find out the issue you were having and what was causing it with the pain in throat? thanks
  • Posted

Hi,

I too have same problem since two days..Feel pricking sensation at the jawline of the left side of the neck once in a while.

What do I do??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.