I feel spaced out, drunk/high 24/7

Posted , 60 users are following.

I've felt like this for about 3 weeks now. It hit me like a bus. One day I was perfectly fine, and then the next I felt like I was half way through my 10th pint on a Friday night. And it hasn't stopped since.

I feel spaced out, I struggle to concentrate on things. It's really hard to explain, but my vision seems to focus intensely on one object (like an up close macro photograph) & then everything else around me seems to fall away.

I can still function day to day. I can still talk to people, walk/run, make food etc. but I constantly feel drunk/high.

I've got exams coming up within literally weeks and this just cannot continue in to that period.

I don't know what to do. Welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

PS: I've never been on any medication before and blood pressure etc. are all fine. All good in the health department.

1 like, 118 replies

118 Replies

Next
  • Edited

First of all, are you in the UK?  I ask that because this was apparently posted at about 3.30am UK time and if that is the case, then I am not surprised you are  feeling the way that you describe.

Another thing that occurred to me, was, you say you are medically fit and you also mention exams.  Are these panic attacks?

Have you discussed this with your doctor at all?  I think you need to see your doctor and ask whether perhaps you could be suffereing from panic attacks.

Good luck!

• Posted

Nope. Based in Salt Lake City.

I honestly don't believe it's a panic attack. I'm not in a state of panic/shock. If anything it's the opposite, I feel too chilled out.

Before contacting my doctor I just wanted to do a bit of research online to see if it was just something trivial.

Thanks.

• Edited

It sounds like anxiety/panic to me. I also functioned as you did but always had this feeling of "being out of body"... my heart would race sometimes, but it felt dreamlike most of the time. Are you taking any over the counter meds (like Sudafed, etc.) that might cause such symptoms? Glad you're seeking medical advice. Let us know what happens.

• Posted

What was the solution? How long did it last? Did you also have trouble sleeping?

Thanks! Currently experiencing something similar and its been 7 months and it still hasn't gone away.

• Edited

I had similar symptoms to this years ago, a few weeks after my son was born, and they went on for a while. It was a feeling of not quite being connected to reality! Or if I was standing still, or walking, a feeling that I would fall over (although I never did). My family thought I was mad- until my mum had exactly the same after breaking her arm. All I can think of now is that it was extreme, longstanding tiredness- me with a new baby, and my mum with pain which prevented her from sleeping. We are both fine now, (although I do get the odd day here and there where the symptoms, albeit to a much lesser extent return- usually when I'm tired or stressed) but it did take a few months to get back to normal initially. Are you pushing yourself too hard with exams etc.?
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think I'm tired at all. If I was getting ~4 hours sleep and I had these symptons then yeah I probably would've put 2 & 2 together, but the fact I'm getting a solid 8 hours kip, and my studying is by no means keeping me up at night is what's got me a little confused.

• Edited

hi i feel spaced put with a very heavy head and cannot seem to fully focus

has been going on for 6 weeks. i also had a baby 10 months ago my third.

biggest symptoms are feeling spaced out off balanced and a very heavy head

any help on how this will pass or how long

doing all the medicals also to make sure its nothing sinister

• Posted

After I had my daughter in the 80s and emotional breakup with boyfriend I had all types of terrifying symptoms. Believe me been there done that

• Posted

You don't give your age.  'Exams'...implies you're in your teens, but not necessarily.

You know your blood pressure is fine, which suggests you've tested it recently. Could there be a connection to whatever reason you had your BP tested for?

Also.... how much of this is an eye problem precisely and how much a metabolic problem...?

Feeling drink/high is not necessarily about the eyes, unless you're seeing double?

Are you taking quinine in any form, by chance? It's taken under prescription for cramps. Quinine also comes in tiny doses in tonic water. But large amounts could cause something akin to this.

I would hike it to my GP asap.

Mrs Mop may be right, it's just panic attacks – in which case you need to take a break and breathe deeply – but it also may not be.

Your doctor will advise you best...

Take care! Keep us posted!

• Posted

ya ive got that right now! lol. its great but it inhibits concentration. try googling hypomania. once the high side of it settles down there should be a low. then eventually the brain will re-balance. i think its caused by a big drop in subconscious fear level.
  • Posted

i have the exact same symptoms for a long time.Did u find a cure? Keep me informed
  • Posted

I would suggest getting a complete neurological check done to be on the safe side. That said exam stress can bring out the strangest of things even if you are feeling laid back about it all. None the less what you are experiencing warrants checking! Hope you get to the bottom of this, feel better soon and sail through your exams!
  • Posted

Here's something to consider.  I had or am having the same types of symptoms.  Been like this for 17 months now.  Never thought that it was my vision until just now, despite the fact that visual symptoms has been the common denominator.  Just went to a doctor who told me I had slight exophoria.  Then i began doing a little research and voila, i found all my symptoms in a condition known as vertical heterophoria.  Look it up and see if that fits you.  I just made contact with an eye doctor that treats this condition.  I'll repost results in the near future.  By the way my symptoms-dizziness, headaches, visual problems, spaced out, foggy brain, difficulty concentrating, fatigue, anxiety (as by product of my symptoms and the other way around)

• Posted

Thank you for posting . I have been going thru the symptoms you mentioned for a month now and feels good to finally know what it is called. Do mention if you were able to find the right treatment and if it the symptoms ever came back again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.