Has anyone any advice to give on Ulcers ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have an ulcer 1" below my ankle bone on the inside of my foot, Ive been having it dressed by the local nurse at our surgery, Ive now had it 3 months and its not healing, Ive had dry dressings and used an antibiotic cream given by the doctor, this has progressed to honey patches and a dressing ontop which can breathe, but Im still suffering, its so inflamed and sore, the hole is only about 5/16" of an inch ( 8mm) in diameter and looks about an 1/8" or 3-4 mm deep,do herbal remedies work and could a poltice do any better like drawing out the infection, I dont I admit know how to do a poltice. I keep it elevated when sitting and have followed the doctor & nurses advice. Can any one help?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

What I would suggest is to use the absolute barest minimum dressing to cover the Ulcer, air is your ulcers friend. The problem with these honey patches and creams etc are (and you might have noticed this) they turn the area into a sloppy gooey mess (as will a poultice,, avoid), there seems to be an infatuation with the idea that 'scabs are bad' by some people I say that actually 'scabs are good', scabs are healing. So what I would suggest is to simply use a non stick lint dressing held in place with the minimum of Micropore and some properly sized Tubigrip over the top (of course you can wear a nice open weave sock over the top of that and woven slippers (tetley tea folks),, not shoes though, well not on the affected foot anyway). Now the drying this causes may cause tightness in the area, so if this happens give your feet a soak in some comfortably hot water for 15 - 20 and lightly pat the area dry, leave the area uncovered until the scab is crispy again and redress. If the dressing sticks (most likely when you first start the minimum dressing) then leave it on and do the foot soak, it'll come off.

Would it be fair to assume that you might be suffering from some mobility issues, Varicose Veins or how about Diabetes, Peripheral Vascular Disease (poor circulation)?

All this 'resting' is making your condition worse, I don't know how mobile you are what with the Ulcer as well but a little walking exercise is good,, it doesn't have to be hours just 10 minutes will do, walking / the foot is crucial to Blood circulation.

Whatdyathink, sensible suggestions or bonkers question cheesygrin

• Posted

Emis Moderator comment: Posted as a reply here on behalf of Rady as this was posted as a new discussion. Please use the "Reply to this discussion" button to continue a discussion.

I would like to Thank Benny Blanco for his advice,

Ive noticed that my foot hasnt been so badly inflamed since I started putting just my support sock onto my leg without a dressing, I tried leaving the sock off so it was open to the air but found that the sock was necessary due to the water retention in my leg, I have bad circulation in both legs and normaly wear support socks just upto but below my knees but I think I need to have a cover over the ulcer as you say some gauze and minimal micropore this I feel is the way forward and need to cover it for its own protection in case some thing rubs against it, or it could get even more infected..

.As we speak I am looking at it and it seems to have shrunk in one direction by at least 1/8" of an inch and its about 1/4" to 5/16" of an inch the other way, I am normally very mobile but at present am recovering from a cataract operation so have managed to keep it elevated, whilst Im on the sick, but have had some walks around the village where I live.

I have 2 more wks off and then I have to return to work, I'm an engineer and have to do a lot of walking around our plant in relation to my work, due to my ulcer I am allowed to sit occaisionaly to rest my leg, my company has been very helpful thankfully. I think for now I will avoid the honey patches when I go for the next dressing at the surgery. Has anyone any other good advice about this topic ? Regards Rady

• Posted

I have a lot of extremely positive experience, but I would like to particularly draw the attention of those who are suffering from long-time persistent skin problems, such as wounds. Over the years I suggested the Arquebuse Water with 75 herbs to countless of friends, whose families had these kind of problems. In many cases the wounds recovered fully, epithelization occurred. It was simply indescribable the gratitude what I got. The most recent case, I suggested to my dermatologist friend to buy the Arquebuse Water with 75 herbs to her husband who had an ulcerated hole in the sole. For several years he had an unhealed wound about 2 cm deep and 5 cm in diameter. My friend works as a dermatologist in a clinic in Budapest, but she could not help her husband. She started to use the herbal essence. The full epithelization took four full months. Dermatologist colleagues came over from other institutes to look at the incredible results. My dermatologist friend happily called the Swiss producer and reported the miracle that happened to her husband. It was a beautiful day for everyone!
    • Posted

Hi. I read your article and I am tapping into your positiveness in relation to Arquebuse Water with 75 herbs. I too have a leg ulcer that will not heal.  I have used several products. In desperation, I ordered the product online.  Hopefully it will help as this problem is so depressing & debilitating.

Thank you for your recommendation. Have a nice day!

• Posted

Hello Frances,  I looked up Arquebuse Water 75 and all the directions are for skin problems with rash type symptoms.  Are you sure it's alright to put it on an open wound like an ulcer?  If so I'll give it a go.

• Posted

Rady, if you still have trouble with your ulcer please give Solcoseryl a try.  My ulcer is in exactly the same spot as yours and it is extremely painful. I've had it for about two years but it healed up just about two weeks ago with the use of Solcoseryl.  It is a gel made from protein-free haemodialysate of calves' blood and it is the only thing that's done any good for me and I've tried everything the doctors and nurses have suggested. I live in Australia and can't buy it here so get it online. It is made by Legacy Pharmaceuticals in Switzerland.
    • Posted

Hi Pengwen

I also have a leg ulcer and have tried everything as well. I have just started applying the solcoseryl that I bought online too as I live in Sri Lanka. Mine came from Bangkok for some reason. I hope that it is the same.

I am feeling hopeful about the jelly but it does stings.  Did it do that to you? I hope that your leg ulcer has completely healed now.

Have a nice day

• Posted

Hello Sandra, 

Yes mine came from Bangkok too.  That's just the online shop. And yes it does sting for a while but can you take some pain killers - Panadol or something? And yes my ulcer did heal but now I have another one in a different spot and the gel hasn't done anything this time, but I'll give it a rest for a while and try again.  Good luck for your ulcer and I hope you have success.

Regards,

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and words of encouragement.

I'll keep trying the solcoseryl. I will try the panadol.

Hopefully your new ulcer will heal soon. sorry that you know

have another. 

Best wishes.

• Posted

hi , about 3 years ago i was at my gp about a sore i had on my leg above my ankle , he called in the nurse who said it was a leg ulcer , i went to have it dressed with a mazuka patch then a pressure dressing . then i was sent on my way with the advice of , it might sting a little but dont take the dressing off. however while driving along the m4 motorway the pain was so severe i had to stop in the hard shoulder , remove the dressing in order to stop the pain to be able to get home safely. i have since not been to seek any medical help and the ulcer is about 2inches x 3inches . the pain at its worst is totally shocking.
    • Posted

Hi marc i can relate to you, im 37 and have ulcers on both my lower legs, i havnt been able to sleep in my own bed since jun 2016, ive see my local treatment room nurse 3xweek, and i find the dressings so painful i have to remove them, ive never felt pain like it, nobody seems to understand how difficult it is to keep them on, much to the nurses dismay, i myself am looking for any help as my lower legs are a mess, and i feel quite angry at the surgery i attend as it took 6 mths of sore leaking legs before they ever told me what it was

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.