can appendicitis be misdiagnosed as early chronic pancreatitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

The reason I ask is over the past year my husband has had blood tests showing normal. Upper endoscopy and lower colostomy endoscopy which showed a duodenal ulcer. Now cleared. He had a ct scan and mri which showed a pseudo cyst in the head of his pancreas. He then had an ultrasound endoscopy which showed no pancreatic cancer and they drained the cyst. On the letter they put acute or earlchronic pancreatitis ???? as they weren't 100% sure. He saw the gastroloist in December who said chronic pancreatitis. No medication has been given and they have never mentioned lipase levels like I've seen in other posts. He's had vomiting, loose stools, constipation over time at varing levels. Over this weekend he had severe pain. He went to A & E and has been admitted with appendicitis. Confirmed by ct scan. A dr previously said a few months baxk that he thought my husband had grumbling appendix. Has anyone heard of this happening and been wrongly diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis for it to be appendicitis or is that wishful thinking on my part. X

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have heard of this however, an EUS (Endoscopic Ultrasound) IS the most sensitive test for Chronic Pancreatitis. There are 9 criteria that experienced endoscopists look for called the Rosemont Criteria. If he had an EUS, what number of criteria were found would indicate whether he has CP.
    • Posted

As far as I'm aware nothing significant. In fact they put chronic pancretitis and several question marks. What would I specifically expect to see in the points you mentioned? To be fair they tell you very little. He had a routine mri in may and has had to chase his appointment which isn't until Sept. He is still having pain and a bout if vomiting . Thanks for the reply.

• Posted

Send me a copy of the EUS report
    • Posted

Hi Greg. Sorry about the delay in my reply. Here us the report that was dine at The Royal Marsden Endoscopy Suite Chelsea in Nov 2014

Procedure: EUS

Findings:

Oesophagus: normal

Stomach: normal

Pylorus: normal

Duodenum: normal

There was cystic dilatation (11mm x 5.7mm) of the main pancreatic duct in the head of the pancreas, and normal diameter in the rest of the pancreas, the duct being normal upstream.  The pancreatic tissue was inhomogeneous with stranding and hypoechogenicity, but did not fulfill the criteria for chronic pancreatitis

FNA not performed

As you can see doesn't really confirm as definite. We saw the consultant 22.12.15 and he said it was chronic pancreatitis and not anything else. Since then my husband had appendicitis and had it removed. He has had another mri in may just before the appendicitis and now has the follow up appt with the gastrologist in sept. Any thoughts. Best regards Theresaa

• Posted

Conclusions: recent acute, ? early chronic pancreatitis.  Suggest review imaging and consider ERCP

Sorry the last part of the report got cut off which was the conclusion

regards Theresaa

• Posted

There is no correlation between appendicitis and chronic pancreatitis. If he has had an Endoscopic Ultrasound this test is very specific for looking for abnormalities in the pancreas for chronic pancreatitis. The Rosemont criteria has 9 indications for CP. If > 5 are found the disease is essentially confirmed.
    • Posted

Hi. I know it's been over a year but I just need to ask a question. My husband still has pain and vomiting and has been told he has a fatty liver and this can cause these symptoms. Today he has had a endoscopy and colonoscopy. They say the are normal and uneventful. Biopsies have been taken as standard and they are screening him to see if he is ceaolic. I'm totally confused now as to what his has. Is it definitely CP which is what they are treating him for. All blood tests and kidney function are fine and nothing outstanding there to show. No weight loss and no medication precribed apart from omeprazol. Any ideas??

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.