Chronic Plantar Fasciitis for 3 yrs

Posted , 23 users are following.

I have PF in both feet, in the arches and its very painful. I have tried lots of things such as shock wave therapy, orthotics in my shoes, corticosteroid injections, taping, physio..... But nothing seems to work. I go to see the chiropractor regularly just to keep things moving but things have got worse over last few weeks and am struggling to drive as get sharp twinges in my arches. I just feel i dont have much quality of life as i cannot do much at all. Can anyone suggest any further treatment to try? I have just read there is PLatelet rich plasma treament and people use botox injections to numb pain? I had a foot massage done a week ago and the lady was reflexologist, and i not sure if she made it worse? Any advice would be much appreciated

3 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Im the same and truly soooo feel for you!!

I think personally you have done everything people tell me eventually it does go away ! When is my question???

I have this condition for three long years, In both feet  I had cortisone three times it didnt work for me. I ve had everything from gastrocnemius release which caused me severe bunions my feet are now unnaturally wide!! I went to chiropractor,podiatrist, physio. Osteopath which all made it worse!

Ive also had shock wave treatment.That was hell!! I wear orthotics, plus cupped gel heel supports. I do stretch,use iced bottle every day.The the only relief I get is from mueller arch wrap supports I got the best ones from ebay and physio room I also get some relief from night braces!I work on the theory of just keep off your feet ! dont over do standing up wear breathable shoes its hard as I work on my feet all day and have a family to look after!! 

I recently had an NHS appointment heal clinic for my plantar fasciitis I asked about PRP injections and they do not do them on NHS despite me taking in the article from the Daily Mail showing a success story plus according to USA this does actually work.

Like you ive also heard about Botox but where and whom will do it in UK is another question?? I did google someone in Worthing that may do PRP injections but costly, so i may save up and try it!

The NHS dont have funds to help not their fault but like you the pain bores into your life !They were soooo unhelpful unsympathatic and virtually dismissed me they said theyd send me for a MRI scan in the future. Who knows when and all very uncaring attitude they gave me some more orthotics that do not help me at all. This dreadful condition has given me bunion!

I have tried swapping my diet quit rubbish foods that are toxic now surprisingly this does help the pain I literally quit sugar and wheat as they cause imflamation and eat pineapples they have a property in them that helps and blueberries, spinach eggs.Drank more water. The plantar can be dehydrated so drink more and do yoga to heal the fascia I know this sounds and seems weird but a nutritionist I  went to truly did teach me sometimes we can ease pain with our foods. My body did respond to this self healing and although never overweight I did feel sugar does cause me inflammation 

I live in croc shoes. Those fit flops made me worse! Although the hospital said wear them I think they mean those goph pro fit flops for nurses though not sparkly ones!

Try those arch wraps on ebay also. I wish i could help you more but please dont give up hope! Somone told me if you can remember how it happened you may be able to cure it.!!! For me I was overzealous at Zumba and Spinning ! Good luck if you fid anything else I havent tried out let me know until then stay strong and fingers cross you can send me tips also.   

• Posted

Hey Jacquanne, how you doing? Just reading my old post. Do you still suffer with foot pain? Its coming upto 5 yrs for me and still no change. Was reading your poast about how you have chaged your diet and cut out sugar? Does this help a lot? I have a sweet tooth but dont eat it all time but may give it a go. But i so fed up now as have this pain all day long and no chang ein 5 years. I truly have given up. I wish there was something else i could try. Did u ever have the prp injections?
  • Posted

I have recently been to the doctors who has confirmed to me what I already know, which is plantar fasciitis is degenerative!  If you get it when you are older the chances are that you will have it for life which is a depressing thought.  So it's up to us to see how it can be managed to allow us a better quality of life.  I am trying to find someone who has had Botox to see if that works and also this PRP treatment. Perhaps if there is anyone on this site who has had these they could let us know.

• Posted

I do not agree - I am 66 and had PF for 16months, changed to only wearing Alegria shoes and now am free of pain. I have had two new knees in the last two years and my Orthopaedic surgeon injected it for me and told me to keep stretching  and strongly massaging my arch. He did not tell me I would have it for life. My sister has now got it & I have told her to get these sturdy shoes & do as I did. Heel supports & insoles just dont do it.
    • Posted

Nice to hear some positive news.  Will try the shoes.  However I have to believe my doctor if he says it is degenerative, as they are the experts.
    • Posted

I have never been told its degenerative by my doc and also my chiropractor said its self limiting but not degen and it should go. But who knows!
    • Posted

I tried the Algeria with no relief. I have hardly any shoes I can stand to wear. Maybe I need a different style? I have a very very high arch
  • Posted

Thankyou for the replies. I also wear crocs all teh time around teh house and i only have 2 other pairs of shoes that are comfortable /bearable to wear with my orthotics.

I also tried teh night splint but did not work and i gave  it a good try for about 6 months.

Jacquanne, are the arch wraps like K-tape? I will look into it and give it a go

I have tried lot sof shoes but not teh Alegria. I am happy to try anything, i am so desperate to get rid of this pain, its just ruined my life and i feel for my kids as i cant do activities with them that i would like to.

I even had to change my job role because of the pain, but if its degenerative i am so worried i cannot work

I am always told PF is nor permanent and it will go, but 3 yrs later i am loosing hope. I feel like i am alway smoaning about but but i am in so much pain and recently it has got worse, so its very depressing.

• Posted

Your crocs are not working go on ebay & get Alegria - good luck
    • Posted

Hi sim7777

When I first wear them the pain is that burning pain so expect this but after ten mins approx it subsides.Miracle! i/ found these ones better than the physio room ones and take them everywhere with me.

I sometimes wear them all day then swop to to leg braces at night. Lateley ive noticed im able to stop the night braces so maybe progress at last

Try quitting sugar and wheat it really helps also. Imflamation really dies decrease. I went one step further and drank apple cider vinegar too with water I found that idea on a usa website but weirdly its helping my progress

, Im just desperate to walk again pain free!!!

My family dont really get my agony and neither do my job or doctor so this forum is a god send.stay strong shout and scream on here and we will all help you, the worst thing is you feel so alone with this condition it is a mind game also. But do not let it win keep fighting. Im going to also try allegra shoes.Although my crocs with the wraps are my own saviour at the moment !!Good Luck 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed company names/ebay details as we do not allow posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

the Arch plantar fasciitis wraps are sold on ebay, I tried to put the seller on but dont think Im allowed.They are black wraps with velcrose. Good luck  
    • Posted

Hi

I had a quick look at the wraps and i have bought something like this in teh past from Amazon and it feels ok for awhile but pain still bad. But maybe some are better than others. I have just come from my chiropractot and decided to invest in a deep tissue massager to use on  my feet and calves. Hope it helps and eases things and even if i just go back to the way things were a month ago that would be a start. 

• Posted

Thanks, i am glad someone knows how i feel, as your right a lot of people just understand and it makes me mad as i am in pain all the time. My crocs are pretty good. I am not convinced by the Alegria shoes as i just checked them out and the base/sole inside shoe does not look that great. Plus my pain is in teh arch so i wear shoes with a slight heel just to take the pressur eof the arch. I have felt so down really that it was good for me to come on hear to speak to people who have the same condition and understand. Thanks again smile
    • Posted

I have just sent you a an email in regards to which wrap it is.
    • Posted

Forgive me Sim7777,

But are you sure you have PF? Sounds more like nerve issues or something like that. My PF is in my heel only...feels like I'm walking b on rocks and it's my understanding that's true PF. But lots of people get told they have PF whenever it's an issue on the bottom of the foot...when it really isnt. Either way..I also wear Crocs bc they cup my heel. You said it's mostly your arches that hurt so I'm wondering how Crocs are helping? I've had my PF for about 2 yrs but for some weird reason right now it has eased up on my heel. I'm scared to even talk about it for fear of it hearing me and coming back...lol I think it may be degenerative bc almost everyone that has had a good case of it and then get better, usually say it came back later so if it gets better...never go barefoot again!! Keep us posted...I would love to know how you do

• Posted

This is what i have always been told that its PF as they say the fascia runs from the heel to the toes and fans out so you can get it in the arches. My croc sandals just feel comfy as they are padded but feet have got slightly worse over last 2 weeks so that had improved slightly over last few yrs but still not the extent that i could only walk about 10 mins and could not stand in one place for more than few mins without being in pain. My chiropractor thinks there maybe some degree of tendionitis but  as its pain in teh tendons and soft tissues its still hard to treat. I ruled out blocked nerve issues as i had a check to see if i had tarsal tunnel. I am going to see another consultant in a few weeks who deals with feet, he is a sports medicine and orthapedic doctor. Am hoping he can help me. Am glad things have eased up for you, its nice to hear a positive story. Did it happen over time that it got better day by day?
    • Posted

Dang sim7777, I'm so sorry I never saw this response from you to me or I would've answered you. Let me tell you what really worked but it was a teaser....about a year ago I got admitted to the hospital and was diagnosed with COPD. At the time my PF was real bad too. Well, I was in the bed for 6 days and they had one of those circulation matress pads on there too. By the day I left my PF felt like it was gone! The best thing is to stay off of it but the reality is most of us just can't do that and in about 2 weeks...it came back but even today it's not as bad as it used to be...or it could be I've learned how to favor that leg and foot and don't put too much pressure on it. But I have Lymphoedema in that same leg so it swells all the way to my toes and that fluid is like the worst thing ever for PF. I no longer can work and I'm 55 and it's all very hard on me mentally as well as physically since I have worked all my life. My hospital made me a sandal for that foot bc it's very swollen and I had to buy size 10 Crocs just to get a shoe on it! I wear 7 1/2!! I remembered to tell the lady that I had PF in that foot too and she put a slight dip in the heel part in the inside and it is a Godsend for me! She heats this very dense foam liner stuff and put it around my foot for measurement. Then when it cooled, it held the shape of my foot and that little dip she put in it so when I put it on I feel no pain at all! I actually just feel the liner squish from my weight but it's even denser than memory foam. It's awesome! Maybe you can get a shoe custom made or liners like that for your regular shoes from the occupational therapy dept at your hosp. They just need a prescription from your Dr. Anyway....please keep me in your prayers and I'll do the same for you!Ladyjack51
    • Posted

I keep Banigng on about the shoes that were like an angels gift to my feet...'ALEGRIA'. They have massive fat sloes with ortho insole. As soon as I put them on I knew I should have been wearing these for years .My PF has gone, unless I foolishly think I will wear a regular pair of shoes - ok for an hour but the tell tale signs remind me to Change into my wonderfully comfortable Alegria, I bought off ebay.I now have three pairs. I spent a small fortune on other gel heels, insoles etc all crap. 
    • Posted

would you mind sending me an email detailing which wrap you get also - many thanks
    • Posted

Hi Carly

I have just sent you an email with the details

• Posted

whats this about a wrap??? did it help???
    • Posted

Hi Cindy, can you tell me if your Alegria is still good for you, and do you find that walking isn't so bad on hard ground with those type of shoes? So glad to read that someone is getting relief from this terrible condition. Have now had PF for nearly 3 years and looking for comfortable shoes/boots is quite an ordeal, in fact when I go out with the intention of buying a pair of footwear I come back home very despondent and feel like chucking it in as it is ruling and ruining my life. Can't wear heels of more than 1/4" and even low heels can feel as if ithe heel is trying to get through the shoe and into my heel. I'm forever in my trainers and trousers because the trainers are the only shoe that feels remotely comfortably even though I am limping by the time I get home after doing some shopping. The only thing I suppose I should be grateful for is that it's only in one foot.
    • Posted

Hi Cindy, did you buy Alegria shoes in the UK or are you corresponding from the USA?
    • Posted

hello, thought i was readin my own story!!! how r u now?? do u feet ever turn pink n swell after standing like 5 min and they start hurting? I have to sit down and put them up and they buzz, pins n needles and throb. ice water is only thing that helps them calm down!! ps i hope u get this and r little bit better!! ive had this 3yrs and no help. my shoes are adidas super cloudfoam slides!! softtt w lil arch! ps i got this after 2 wks on treadmill walkin in poor flipflops!! first time i felt pain, it felt like I was walking on my foot bones,hurt so bad! pain is balls of feet to right b4 heel. sry for my typing. I am on a phone atm

• Posted

still have it 8 yrs later, seen several consultants in that time with no official diagnosis so no easy fix. I learn to manage pain and have changed my life style. changed my career its been hard but had no choice. I don't have swelling. I have pain in arches of feet and I have peripheral neuropathic pain. I hope you manage to find the cause of your swelling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.