using a TENS unit on upper lip

Posted , 4 users are following.

My dropped a large heavy TV set on my face 5 years ago. I had to have a bone replaced under my eye. The left side of my nose and upper lip area became numb. My thinking is that my sensory nerves were severed and the axons never reconnected properly. While most of the numbness is gone, there is still an area of my upper lip (left side) which is numb and never goes away. My idea was to try electrical stimulation using a TENS unit. The insrutction manual for the TENS 7000 says to not use this on your face. I don't know of any other way to try to encourage my nerves to heal and grow. Is it wise to try this? What harm can it do? 

0 likes, 3 replies

Report / Delete

3 Replies

• Posted

Are you stupid ? It says don't use on the face or neck for a reason it's dangerous using a Tens on any part of the face or neck

Using it on a lip is madness

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

The contribitors to this forum are generally seeking help for real problems. Some may not fully understand the dangers of using a Tens machine in ways outside its design limits. Let's see if we can improve their understanding without being offensive.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It can do harm, please do not use a tens unit on your face. Please speak to your doctor as I have heard different tens units are being designed for different parts of your body. Any electrical current to the face could potentially cause a seizure so you should only seek this route as therapy with a medical professional, not at your own hands experimenting. I hope you get some help in the medical field as that loss of feeling is definitly unnerving and frustrating.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up