12 weeks after appendix op open wound

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. Had my appendix out 12 weeks ago had already burst a few days prior so was in a mess. My bowels had wrapped around the appendix and it had started to attach to the abdominal wall. Also had a gangerous pus filled cyst. Spent a month in hospital they reopened my wound to drain had a vac on. Then was finally sent home still with a hole that is currently being stuff with seaweed every 3 days. Is this normal to be going on so long anyone had any similar experiences. Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

ahhh...here is your story.  smile

Very similar - my bowel also had encompassed my appendix - made a nest for it really and they believe that is the only reason it did not burst - it was protected and insulated by the bowel.  They also found gangeneous tissue and massive infection and inflammation which they thought was a tumour, but it wasn;t, thank god.  

They would not use a vac on me, which was dissappointing as having the stoma bag was very depressing - I wanted things moved along as fast as possible.  

Does the seaweed help?  I suppose its healing and keeps it clean?  

The hole can take forever to heal.  I had my op on the 10th of December, and it is still not healed.  Just over 6 months.  rolleyes   

Its a rough thing.  I have learned to only look at one day at a time or it was too depressing.  I didn;t think I would eve heal - and I am not yet healed - but getting closer now.....I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I sympathise with you, and its good to hear from someone with the same experience.  

• Posted

Lol just read this after replied to other one. The seaweed seems to be doing its job. Just worried that the nurses don't know what they are doing. The consultant advised to only put a small amount of seaweed in to encourage the hole to close il, they like to keep pushing as much as they can in feel a bit bossy cos I'm always telling them what to do. The consultant didnt want to see me again but might request I would like to.
  • Posted

Hi

I'm so glad I found this thread. My appendix burst while I was 26 weeks pregnant, mine was the same severe, was everywhere, I got peritonitis, septicaemia, so was cut open again ended up with a vac in for 3 months, big scar.

How did you find the vac pump changes? I found them like torture they were horrific, they would not stitch me again as said the infection would kill me.

It was nearly 2 years ago and I still have physical issues from it?

What about you?

Warm regards

Faye

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.