I am going to stop taking and I am terrified of the withdrawal period. nobody knows I am on them.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been buying them on line and I got carried away sometimes taking up to 30 a day. I stopped enjoying taking them. I feel like I've become a slave to them. I think I'm going to ask my GP for help. Any advice?

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Alexandra, bless you..yes I think it would be the best idea would be to see your doctor as soon as possible....they will be able to help and advise you.....30 a day seems an awful lot to take, you were very lucky that you did no harm to yourself....if you cut back slowly, you may well be okay...also, if you felt the need to take them to give you a lift, you may well be depressed and need other treatments...

I was on a high dose of CO-CODAMOL and also tramadol for years...I was able to just stop dead without any side effects whatsoever....try not to worry, just ask for help and you will be fine...also don't feel anxious about being honest about the dosage you have been taking....I wish you all the very best, please keep in touch....big warm hugs to you..Deirdre xxx

• Posted

Hi Alexandra,

It will be so much safer for you as you don't know what ingredients are in your "online"tablets if you consult with a doctor. He/she can prescribe you some! You should startwith tapering 1/2 tablet or whole tablet (depending on how much is in each) every 3/5 days as this will stop the full force of any withdrawal symptoms.

Good luck.

Kate.

• Posted

Thank you for replying to my post. It's been about 25hours since I last took any. Apart from a couple o f hot and cold spells I feel ok. It's a bit frustrating because I want to take them and know i can't. I'm very anxious waiting for these horrible withdrawal symptoms to start.
  • Posted

25 hours is brilliant! You may not get any major withdrawal symptoms, you may getrestless legs which taking a warm bath will relieve and bananas are high in potassium so will help as well.

I believe you will do it as 25 hours is a long time.....keep going! Think of how much money you will save!

• Posted

Thank you for your words of encouragement..unfortunately I caved and took some at about 4 pm. It's only cause I had them in my pocket. I wasn't really feeling any withdrawal. It was purely no willpower!! I really was hoping t o get through the day. Angry with myself but also very scared of what's ahead of me. I only have 20 left so it's probably just a matter of time.

To answer the other members questions. I get up at 7 every day. IWork 6-7 days a week. I don't take my first dose til 11am. And I take 22(30mg) and then about 4 more around 5pm. And that's it til the next day. It's a vicious circle I think. I have never been addicted to anything before. Although I do smoke. And as I have found out the hard way you will NEVER get that same feeling as when you first started.

I am off to bed now. And I want to let you all know that I appreciate each and every bit of information..advice...encouragement..etc...please keep it coming...i have to believe in myself and your kind words and information are helping me.

Thank you!

• Posted

Hello everyone. It's me again.lol ...I have not taken any since 1030 yesterday morning. I have none left..so now the hard part begins. So far I feel good...I'm hoping maybe just maybe I will skate through this...I feel positive..at the moment...and I also feel ok with the fact that I don't have any to fall back on..which is unusual for me cuz I had to always make sure that I always had a cupboard full.. so it's a start.

This is the first day of the rest of my life!!

• Posted

Hey great to hear you managed to stayoff em for a day and should be two days as I write this. I don't mean to bring any bad news but if you were taking 30 30mg DHC tabs a day...I think you should be cautious and not have a false sense of security. It is usually day 3 (atleast for me) that you start to feel the effects coming on as you may metabolize the drug slowly so it is still in your blood. That's not to say it will happen to you as I said before some people have stopped just like that. I hope you are one of them. It will still be good to see your doc about it as they can give you additional advice and tests if you need any. There's no shame in admitting you are addicted to rx meds as you had to start somehow and chances are it was a doctor that first prescribed them to you. And if you find that you do need them you can call your doctor emergency. You don't want to be going to the ER at 2am.

So nice start to the rest of your life and it can only get better. Get your self some multi vitamins and drink lots of water. And as a gift to to yourself....some Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Let us know how you're doing and if you feel like you slip don't feel bad with yourself as you are doing very well going cold turkey. Good luck  

• Posted

I congratulated you a few minutes ago as I just saw you post today only to look further down and see you slipped. Don't be hard on yourself as it is very rare to just stop. If fact if you do just stop then get back on a few days later you may take more then before. So based on what you said about taking 22 30mg tabs at about 11am the 4 30mg tabs about 5pm, It does seem like it's will power you are lacking because that is not usually the pattern an addict would follow. I personally think if you have just been on DHC then you are looking for that feeling of euphoria by taking the 22. Well I can help you. Sorry but you will never get that feeling again and even if you could, 300mg is what your body can try metabolize so the other 360mg you taking would be a waste. So I say it is time to ween you off and your loading dose shud be 10 30mg tabs as the other 12 would be pointless. And you HAVE to tell someone close to you because you will need someone to talk to. In the same way you had said you have not taken any in a day and you don't even have any....you managed to get some very fast by the next day. So...you must have thrown them out but not really thrown them out. Having someone know you are trying to stop would help keep track that you are following your steps to quit. As I said...stopping is for ever. Even going for surgery you will have to let them know you addicted to opiates incase they give you Morphine which could stop your breathing if to much given. And...see your doc so they can prescribe you the agreed amout to be taken daily over 28 days. So you may do 20 a day for a month. Then 26 a day for a month. Just an example. I think you will stop in a short time if you can accept you are throwing money away. If you have kids or family etc just think of how you can get em a nice gigt with money you save. Think of this DHC as your enemy cosw you may love it so much but ut will never love you back. 

If you would like to get my 2 cents in the best way for you to stop let me know I can give you a few tips on how you can wake in the morning and wait an hour before you take a few tabs and wait hours before you take 1 or 2 more.

• Posted

Thank you to stay off for all your words. I am still off them ...last dose being those 4 Monday afternoon. I have NOT ordered anymore which would be so easy! I really want to do this. And yes I agree with you that it's total willpower I lack. Although I still believe I must have some sort of addiction.I don't feel too too bad. Lots of hot and cold sweats. Which are uncomfortable but bearable. A few sneezing attacks and dull headache. I also think that my legs are starting to ache. Oh the joys!! Lol.

I saw my GP yesterday and he is aware of what I'm doing. Checked my heart and pulse and was satisfied that I wasn't rattling. So was happy to continue with my cold turkey withdrawal. I have also told my son who knew I was taking them in the first place and also another friend who knew as well. They just didn't know the extent I was popping.

And I do realize that taking all those pills would not make the buzz come any better but I felt better taking them. It's a vicious circle and I had become a slave to them.

I don't have any nor have any plans too source any.

So here's to hoping......

• Posted

Hi there

Just wanted to support you with good wishes.  I came off 30/500 co-codamol cold turkey last November, when I decided to do it I gave all my remaining supplies to a friend, told my gp to take them off my repeat form and gritted my teeth.  I had four horrible weeks but I haven't taken any since and feel like a new woman.

Keep at it, its worth it

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

Good that you managed to get off the co-codamol tabs which are codeine before you moved up to co-dydramol which is Dihydracodeine and really making friends with the devil. I wonder why GP's prescribe them for severe pain knowing that they are very addictive. The addiction just creeps up on you. On the packet it says do not take for more then 3 days yet they prescribe enough for 28 days. Weird!!

• Posted

Hetagain. Great that you are staying off and that the WD has not come on as bad as it did for me and I'm sure alot of other people.Forgive me if I come across a bit harsh but I think it will be good for you to know that you may not be out of the woods yet. Quiting cold turkey takes alot of will power. And by your own words you say you do not have the will power to do so thats why you take so many knowingthere will be no effect. Trust me....DHC is so bad it will come to you as a friend offering to take you out and the more you say no the more it will ask. You started off well by admitting you have a problem but I think you should also admit that you do take a whole bunch at once cos you looking for a buzz. Once you accept that you will hopefully you can follow my advice in what I am about to say. If you could keep in mind that the extra 14 30mg tabs you take at 11am are doing nothing except bring up your tolerance I feel you will be completly opiate free within a month. If your leave out the 14 tabs it will put you on 16 a day. That may be a bit to much to soon so I say keep 20 a day as your max starting point. It will help if you can get a antacid for acid in stomach and heartburn....I used prescription acid blocker Omerprazole. It will stop the DHC from being broken down so quickly so that loading dose of 10 tabs when you wake will stay in your blood for a longer peroid so on set of physical WD effects will not come on so quick. So when you wake you will take the antacid and eat brealfast. The good thing is you will have to wait an hour before you take the 10 tabs. Now you are going to start to take your tabs in a controlled manner. So if you take ure antacid at 10am you know you will take 10 DHC tabs at 11am so you will be anxious looking forward to it but stick with the time as its better to know you will have some trhen have none at all. So in that hour do something productive to take you mind ofr it. I would take Omerprazole at 7am with my prozac and have a shower, get ready, brekki, watch the news until it was time to take my loading dose of 600mg all at once. But still trying to not rush into taking them. Its all about you taking control of the tabs so you can ween off in a way suitable to you. Now the reson I said 20tabs a day to start with is so if you feel that yopu need to take some, keep it at one tab that you take on the hour. So if its 12.15pm and you feel the need remember you have to change focus cos you can not take it until 1pm. Again.....just knowing that you can take one later will help you get through. When 1pm comes...again don't rush to take it. try doing something that will take a few minutes....eat something and ifvyou find its 1.15pm you know you cann do without so push it to 2pm. But it don't mean you can take 2....lol. And if you do find you have to take it then suck it so to go thru that nasty bitter taste. The reason for this is you want to hate that taste so much that it will make you not want to take it. I don't know bout you but when I took the tabs i smoked much more. Because of this when I stopped and was going thru the WD I found that a cig helped me get through the peroid of 15-20 mins when your mind is on itr that you start to sweat. This was in addition to the other things I took to help me get through. So, by the time you get home don't take the antacid just stick to a tab an hour or every two hours. Eventually you will get use to being able to control yourself and the following week to start with your morning load at 9tabs and you will be on max 19 a day. Week after its 18 and so on. What ever you do don't go up!! With DHC you will find any little reason to use as to why you took more. This is why gettinmg them on a strict 28 deays refill from your doc is important cos if you run out and go try get more you should ask them to put in their system...no matter what excuse you come up with as to why you finish your cycle early you should nbot be given any until your refill date. I know....there's always the internet. I will tell you this....alot of the meds on the internet are over priced generic brands that are mostly all made in India. You may order to a EU or USA website but the tablets will be shipped out of India. It is how they get by selling rx meds without the script. The active chemical may be 5mg dhc instead of 30mg and to give the same effect mixed with a antihistermine and fillers. So you maybe taking 30 tabs a day which is suppose to be 900mg but you only taking 150mg. So if you do get some prescribed to you by your doctor, I wouldnt take a whole lot at once. Take 2 and see what it is like. But if you find they are better and get you buzzing you have to maintain control and know after a week they will not work anymore. .

I ve written long essay. Thats because I really want to help whom ever I can because being on DHC you are at the gateway to heroin. You don't have to follow how I did it I only knoiw that it took me off the mnost powerful tab Fentynl. There are other things you can take to ease the WD if it gets bad and if you feel taking dhc is your way to feel better......don't take it as I said before....very high doses of Loperimide (Imodium) can get you thru as it is a non narcotic opiate. Can talk about that if you get to that stage. Wishing you luck again. A former president of the USA once said "The only thing you have to fear....is fear itself"!!!

• Posted

I'm on day 3 of cold turkey dhc stopping. I don't have any nor do I have any plans of sourcing any. It's very unpleasant but I am working through this. I don't think I'm out of the woods yet but I can only hope and pray I will be back to my old self soon enough.I hate feeling like this. My legs are very restless today which is annoying and uncomfortable. I don't want a script from the doc cause I think going this long without any is really an accomplishment..so I don't want to go backwards. I think that would be a mistake.I would like to think that I can be free from this by next week..getting better every day. I have unfortunate flu like symptoms as well...but I really think I have the flu...cuz these symptoms started before I stopped taking....and I also know that if I took even 10 all this would go away. But I would only be worse off cuz I would be back to square one!! It's my mind I can't stop it...it's over thinking all the time. I wish I could just sleep right through it all!!!

I am going to do this!!!!

• Posted

YES!!!!! That's the spirit. I'm glad you are doing well. I would really hope them tabs you were getting online were badly made so the dose of DHC was much lower then the 30 mg. Then the WD won't be as bad as it were for me. I think you may be feeling as thiough you you have flu cos WD from opiates and benzo's is 100 times worse then what you are freeling now. And you are right...knowing that all you have to do is pop a few and you feel fine is what make alot of people fail. So 3 days off you should not have even aone "just in case" tab. 2mg of Vallium (Diazepam) will help with the restlessness....but taking nothing at all is best.

Well stay strong and message any one of us for support if you feel a though you are going to slip. Keep in mind that the cravings will last 15-20mins then pass. If talking to someone is not possible then smoke a cig or eat candy. 

T.C

• Posted

There is no chance of my slipping up because I don't have anything to slip up with!!thank goodness! Just toughing it out. I do believe you are right about those online tabs...not being as strong..cuz from what I've read and researched this should not be as pain free as it has been. I'm glad for that...im really uncomfortable but that comes and goes. I still don't know if I have withdrawal or flu...or maybe both.

I will catch up again tomorrow..hopefully I can sleep tonight cuz last night was horrendous!

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.