How to cope when some one Alzheimer's .

Posted , 2 users are following.

My young sister became a victim of this Alzheimer's disease about 3years ago at age 64 they tried different medics  nothing worked for her. Now in a home and to me it seems she gone done very quick ,I visit twice a week but and to watch her eat is very heart breaking it goes every where and the thing is I'm not coping with this for a couple of days its wares of then it's back to see her ,any help with copying with this would help.thank you 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

A couple of questions for you.

I. Does she recognise you and remember your name?

2. Is she pleased to see you?

3. Do you take her magazines etc?

Are you not coping because you feel guilty or can't face the facts that are in front of you?

I ask these questions because I care for my husband who has advanced Alzhimers. I can't just raise up my arms and wail I can't cope! I face this dreadful Alzhimers and cope. I laugh when he empties drawers and I ask him what he was looking for? His reply is usually I forget. Yes eating is messy and yes changing his pad is difficult at times. I am 68 and suffer with severe arthritis but I refuse to just give up on my husband. I get no help at home with caring for him. I get one day rest when he goes to a day centre until 3pm.

just love your sister and see beyond the Alzhimers.

I know first hand it is tough very tough and heart wrenching. Don't feel afraid and don't feel sorry for yourself. Just be kind and love your sister

• Posted

As soon as I'm in the home she comes to see me and tells every one I'm her sister.which I love ,Sheila will go and ask for tea for me and they bring it to us .took her a puzzle just the other day but had no interest in it she use to do lots of them.i don't feel guilty it's just that out of 8sibling why her I try to take her home but like you I have severe arthritis and spin trouble,my hubby getting over  triple by pass so he's to watch what he's doing.its hard to understand the desize  I'm 74and he's 77 I need some one I can't talk to that's doing or has the same thing ,I love her to bits c
    • Posted

You can talk to me. I understand what your going through. We can all ask WHY? There is no pattern no reason why some people get it and yet others don't. I hate the disease with a purple passion. I had a lovely husband who built things like wardrobes and kitchens. He was an electrician and kept everything and everyone safe. My son's adore him and get angry at me if I say how hard it is to care for him. I am soon to be 70 but feel more like 90

my husband is 84. The biggest scare was his heart attacks. He had a stent fitted and that part is fine. I have 5 little poodles which keep him occupied even though can't remember their names or distinguish between a black poodle or a white one. He adores cats and there are 4 of those to care for. I cannot rehome them as it would upset him too much. So I just plod on thinking tomorrow will be a better day.

On my day off which is a Tuesday I go to a friends house and have a piano lesson, a cup of tea and a chat. We put the world right. I do feel so much better and the week does not seem so long. I am the one learning to play the piano after an absence of 25 years. Chat anytime you are welcome

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.