Silicol Gel?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone tried silicolgel?

My dads just brought it in to try and supposedly it "fixes IBS and IBD". Gunna have a read about before trying anything.

But if anyone has used it, do get in touch smile

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm just trying symprove now day three
    • Posted

Nadia,

please be sure to keep the forum members "informed" ....for many it takes time.

• Posted

It took nearly nine weeks before I realised I wasn't going to the loo anything up to a dozen times a day or worse.  I'm now on it as a permanent maintenance treatment.

• Posted

there are 2 Gel types..one is for exterior useage..meaning skin not your insides...the other is for the insides...its

Silicea Gastrointestinal Gel.

Use "plos one" to do your study...and ask your pharmicist they ought to have the most recent information...moreso that anything one can find on the Internet.

• Posted

This is a "Collodial silicoc acid for gastrointestinal disorders"

My mam used to have tablets like it as it helps with hair and nail growth. But apparently, it's really good for IBS and IBD but can make you feel like you can't go properly, like you're not emptying completely. So just wanting to see if anyone had any opinions? smile

• Posted

I tried it, made me dreadfully constipated, really painful.
    • Posted

Excellent "heads up" Fiona,

the title silicol gel is kida missleading  it isn't a gel..its a product that forms a gel...and its mechanism is via "water"...it isn't affected in the small bowell but in the large intestine where it forms gel "absorbing water"...toxins are known to bind to the gell.

I would "think or presume" adding much more water to ones daily intake  while on this product might be helpful to reduce constipation and slow transit.

As far as hair, nails, and skin via oral ingestion...the Finland Study showed some skin improvement (thickening)...I'm unaware of the other two possible benefits...may need help from some minerals like zinc

• Posted

Hi, yes I have tried it and it didn't work for my IBS which is very severe at the moment.  I had a colonscopy in 2011 and was diagnosed with it then.  I am booked in for an endoscopy at the beginning of August as I am now having problems in my upper left quadrant.  I have been suffering terrible cramps and bloating and food is not passing through my stomach properly.  I have been given Buscopan tablets several times by my GP but unfortunately they do not touch the pain.  I ended up in A & E twice over last 6 weeks and when they give it to me intraveniously it works, but that is of no use at home!  In desperation I asked my pharmacist if he could suggest anything that would help the cramps and bloating and he suggested Kolanticon Gel.  I was sceptical but had nothing to lose.  I take it after meals as I know that is when the trouble is going to start!  I can only eat very small meals at the moment.  It has helped me a great deal and I live in hope that once I have had my endoscopy and found out what the pain is 'up top' I will hopefully be able to cope a bit better.  Kolanticon Gel seems to ease the cramps better.  It has an antisposmodic (different than buscopan) antiflatulent and an antacid.  So it it helping me a bit with my pain 'up top' too.  My pharmacist has told me I may be able to get it on prescription so I am going to ask my GP next time I see her.  It is about £9.00 for 500ml, which is quite a big bottle.  I am just turned 60, and am entitled to free prescriptions, so I am certainly going to ask her!  It may not work for everyone but it has helped me cope a bit better,while I am waiting for the endoscopy.  I really was in severe pain.  Hope this helps some of you fellow sufferers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.