Starting 5mg of zyprexa

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was wondering if 5 mg of zyprexa will cause weight gain.  I was on 2.5 and nothing happened, but I'm afraid I will with the increase.  Any suggestions?  I'm nervous because I am having knee surgery in 4 weeks and will be sedentary during that time.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'd air on the side of caution. If your managing now wait till after you gave rested then think again. Does that help.

Tazjosie

• Posted

It depends on your priorities. At first I didn't care about the weight gain but now I do and want to go on something else.

Tazjosie

• Posted

Hi Maryann, i am trying to remember I think I did have weight gain on 5mgs a day, I am on 2.5mgs now. I agree with Tazjosie if u r managing on 2.5mgs then stay on it until after surgery or eat lots of vegies and fresh fruit and salads instead of the carbs and grains thats what i did and didn't put on weight it is when u eat lots of carbs that put on the weight, almonds r good for the carb cravings too they will stop that because i remember the olanzipine around 4pm each day i would get quite strong carb craving.

Good luck!

• Posted

5mg is fairly low but don't give in to munchies. Try lower dose, you really do not want to end up a depressed fattie.

• Posted

Hi, yes i agree maryann that 5mgs is a low dosage but if u can stay on 2.5mgs that would be better but to be honest with u i would switch to another drug as I have done the effect of olanzipine is so that over time u need to increase it or it basically just stops working there is evidence of this online and that's what happened to me the drug i'm on now is brilliant i am happy and relaxed thanx to my doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.