exercises at the gyn for tka

Posted , 7 users are following.

My surgeon wants me going to the gym 5 days a week. What kinds of exercises is anybody doing besides leg presses and elliptical?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Gym ball wall squats, exercise bike, hamstring curl, leg lifts and various stretches, step ups and other core body stuff as its not only our legs our core body and balance needs re-educating. My walking and posture has really improved since going 3 times a week - I was told to avoid leg press for a while as can dislocate so only do them on a light weight and with supervision - tendency to use the other leg which then starts aching. Good for mental health as well. I only do 30 minutes x 3 sessions a week and 10 mins a day at home but its enough. 

Quads and calves need stretching and strengthening to help your knee feel normal 

• Posted

Darla. Is that the best advice your surgeon can provide? Surely not. What you need is good advice from a physiotherapist  not just some generic so-called advice that could easily result in damage to your knee. Have you had an operation, are you preparing for an operation or is the "advice" aimed at avoiding the need for an operation. Was this a private consultation or with an NHS consultant?  Go back to the consultant and ask for physiotherapy support and an exercise program that is designed for you and your knee problem. For your own sake do not go it alone with the exercise. You will hurt yourself and live to regret it. Take care and best wishes.
    • Posted

Hi Coroline, how long post op were you before you started the gym. I'm having a hard start this time. This is my second TKA and I'm 13 days post op. My pain was a little difficult to get under control. It is better now. I'm just starting hospital to home exercise. I start Phsio next week. I'm defiantly shy of the pain so am procrastinating. 

• Posted

Have you had your operation and if so how many weeks are you post op.  You need to take it easy to start with, doing simple exercises including walking, raising leg exercises etc and you should have been given sheets with these exercises on.  I was 3-4 weeks post op and started on an exercise bike, but haven't been to the GYM yet.
  • Posted

Have you always been that active. Or do you have an active surgeon. I tend to agree with Caroline. Three days a week and at home therapy should be enough. 

Ultimately it should be our own decision with guidance from professionals. Physio has a saying. "Let Your Pain Be Your Guide!"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.