Day One (Champix).

Posted , 6 users are following.

So today I swallowed my first morning Champix tablet., I got them from my GP 3 days ago,. but had a real mind battle before making that 1st move.,I have smoked for 50 years,. this as taken a big toll on my Health & pocket,..hopefully now I have come to my senses to quit this awful habit,,my life can take on more meaning..

4 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I can totally relate to everything you say....how can you live without your ciggies! Well I stopped with Champix over a year ago after smoking for 30 years. You have taken the most important step in starting to take Champix. My advice is take each day at a time, dont look too far ahead. Take your tablets as prescribed. There are side effects, but deal with them as they arise, we will support you and advise as necessary. Keep smoking as normal, and just relax! I kept thinking the tabs werent working, but believe me they did. It took a little willpower, but honestly, I think these tabs are amazing. Im not going to say much more for now, but keep in touch, and we will support you each step of the way. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Debbie,.Good to know that Support is just a mouse click away., I have a feeling that I am going to need lots of Support & encouragment to Win this battle. But I am Arming myself with these Tablets,so let the battle begin,,,

• Posted

Loads of support here, every day. Try to relax and just go with the flow. As issues arise, post them and we will help. Most folk have some problems, but also the experience of how to overcome them. 
    • Posted

Hello again Debbie, well today was my 5th day on Champix.,& although I am finding it easy not to crave a Cig throughout the day,. I find my craving quite strong first thing in the morning,..I have not stopped altogether yet, but am only smoking 5-6 cigs a day now,thats from a 20 aday habit,.my quit day will be this Friday,, no noticable side effects yet.,
    • Posted

Hi Doglover. Its early days yet, dont rush things. Youre not even on the full dose yet. I didnt set my stop day until day 15, and stopped effortlessly on day 14. Any earlier would have been too hard for me.  What I would say is that on Friday, if you get stressed and feel you cant stop, then just reset your stop day to the following Friday. Does that make sense? now is the time to try to break habits. If you smoked in the house, make it a smoke free zone and smoke outside. If you had a cig with your coffee, have one after your coffee. I asked my friends who smoked to help me by not smoking around me for a few weeks. Etc, etc. But it does sound like the pills are working their magic with you in that you have cut down so much already. You are halfway there! Feel proud of yourself. Keep in touch.
    • Posted

Thank you Debbie, what you said does make sense.,I don't want to cause myself more stress in my eagerness to stop..

I will adopt your advice & make my home a smoke free

zone,,standing outside will not feel to comfortable in rain

or gale force winds.,if that dont do it nothing will lol..

thankfully I do not have family or friends who smoke,so thats

a great help.,Can I ask,, once you stopped on Day 14 did your

cravings stop? or did you still go cold turkey?.ty again for being

their for me,..

• Posted

Hi! I had naturally stopped on day 14, just couldnt be bothered to light up. Honestly, I was stunned. I would say 90% of me didnt want to smoke, but there was still a bit of craving....habit, I think. But thats where the alternatives come in handy....breaking the cycle, dont have that coffee if thats when you smoke, sit somewhere different, do a puzzle, walk round the house taking deep breaths.....i kept saying to myself.....why am I paying money to poison myself? That really helped. I was like you in that my fag consumption went down, until I was only smoking two half fags on day 13. Yes, there were times when I could have happily lit up after that, but I had a list of alternative things to do and I didnt put myself in social situations where I might be tempted. I do think Champix is a miracle drug. Trust it. I know from your commitment that you will stop. Just relax, trust the pills, change your habits, treat yourself whith the money you would have spent on fags. Get your home smelling nice, start washing your clothes so they dont smell of fags. I can now smell a cig from quite a distance, and cant believe how I and my house must have smelled!! Just think, this time next month, no more fags, chest starting to recover, more money in your purse, fresh breath I could go on. YOU WILL DO IT! Relax.
    • Posted

I was giving advice to a friends hubby who couldnt stop on his chosen day. Told hime to go and buy more fags, and carry on smoking for another week. He did this, then stopped and hasnt smoked for 10 months now.
    • Posted

Hi Debbie,. yesterday was my first day of not Smoking(Quit Day).Today I am having a little struggle with myself,. But am Determined to stay smoke free,.. making sure When craving becomes difficult to do Deep breathing Excercises,this is helping,.Just recovering from a bad Salivary Gland Infection still taking Pennicilin,.so this is not helping,..good news is that no visable side effects from Champix,.When does your body become free of the Nicotine do you know?
    • Posted

Hi Doglover, good for you. Keep doing diversional things and start saying to yourself...I am now a non smoker. Just think, today is the first day of a healthier, wealthier life. Wash clothes that smell of smoke, treat yourself to nice candles etc. Technically I think the nicotine leaves your blood within a few days? Every hour you are cig free, your body can work on ridding itself of nicotine for good. The side effects kicked in for me on about week three, but we will help you address them if they arise. Any time you have a craving, brush your teeth or take chewing gum...not nicotine gum. This next few days are the hardest, but I promise you will get past them and never look back! Keep in touch! X
    • Posted

Thanks Debbie for your continued support,. I really need this.,& yes I will certainly adopt the methods you mentioned when I get the cravings., never realised what a strong hold Mr Nicotine had.,,good reason to stop & never go back to it again,,
    • Posted

Look upon it as a week of feeling deprived compared to the rest of your life. You CAN do it!
    • Posted

Hi,Debbie, nice to know you have been keeping me in your thoughts,.ty,.Well I am happy to tell you that today I completed my first week of Smokefree,.It has not been so easy, my thoughts have turned to (just one more smoke) but I have resisted,.Have changed my daily routine also this as helped.,My only gripe is that I joined the FB Smokefree support group & was given a link to the online Chat support,. I completed all the Info & was told an adviser would prompt my Question,. this never happened,. I really needed the support at the time,. felt very let down,..Moan over,.. Happy though for your support,..

• Posted

You are through the worst. Moan on here anytime. Stay focused, avoid temptation....you are a non smoker! So pleased for you!
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, just popped on to update you on my progress., well on Sunday I will have gone 3 weeks without a Ciggie,..only one snag though,. as my Addition nearly won over one day last week ,I was sorely tempted to buy a pkt of fags,..decided to instead purchase a E-Lites Ecig & just use it very sparingly,. this I have been doing for this past week & it is satisfying me.,,

• Posted

Hi again Debbie,.just to update you,. I am now into my 5th week as a non-smoker., still taking the Champix., Things are getting much more easier,. not thinking often about smoking like in the early days., seem to function better through the day,finding stuff to keep me busy,.. I have been fortunate, no nasty side-effects from Champix,,ty for your continuing support..
    • Posted

I am so happy for you. All you have to do now is resist temptation. After a year, I still get the odd feeling that a cig would be good. Just say to myself I dont smoke any more, and the feeling passes quickly. Spent an evening with a friend who was puffing away, my clothes were so smelly the next day, It brought back all the memories of being chained to the nicotine cycle, bad breath, anger at myself. What a relief it is to have overcome it....thanks to Champix, the wonder pill! Stay strong and enjoy the benefits, Im sooooo pleased for you. Read back you older posts to see how far you have come.....huge pat on the back!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.