Why have I started frequently sweating all over?

Posted , 3 users are following.

It seems like every day I have something else to post about on here ... anyway ....

I have been going through a difficult couple of years with depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc.

At this point, I am on several meds for same: Trazodone, Quetiapine, Lyrica and Temazepam.

I have also foolishly gone on a few drinking binges, though not been drinking continuously except for the week before last.

I have been having an increasingly bad sweating problem, which has recently reached the point where I am having frequent (several times a day and night, so they are not "night sweats") all-over body sweats, with sweat even on my legs and arms.

I will be seeing my doctor very soon about this (and other matters) but has anyone come across this sort of thing before, and any ideas as to what might be the cause or causes?

It's obviously a horrible complaint and quite socially isolating, so a solution to same would be great to hear.

Many thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I empathise with your sweaty situation as I am the same, although I've had my issue for 20 years.

Sudden changes in sweating could indicate some other underlying issue with your health so you really need to get your blood tested to check you thyroid / endocrine system etc etc as sweating can just be a side effect.

If you are deemed healthy and just have "over-active sweat glands" then you need to consider: Has anything changed in your life? Have you started taking any stimulants or increased your coffee intake (caffeine)? What age are you and are you a healthy weight? Do you exercise?

My sweating increased dramatically recently and I was confused until I realised it was probably a side effect of a thermogenic supplement I was taking to kick-start my fat burning to complement my exercise/diet regime.

The stress/anxiety/depression/insomnia and consequent drugs you're on is probably not helping though.. Maybe some light meditation, breathing exercises, yoga and running might help you.

• Posted

Hi chidsta,

Thanks for your reply.

I have always sweated a lot in hot weather (quite rare here in Northern Ireland!) and when exercising (eg. walking quickly).

However, it has got out of hand, and I break into sweats when eating food or having hot drinks, or sometimes jst spontaneously.  I'm not especially sweaty at night, so not experiencing 'night sweats'.

I have had regular blood tests - full blood count and liver function - and the full blood count has all been normal.

I guess the recent spells of heavy drinking haven't helped, though the sweating pre-dates that, as well as occurring before I started on some of the meds that I am on.

It is quite socially limiting: as fel as feeling horrible because of the symptom itslef, I am very uncomfortable in public because no one else seems to be sweating and I feel unclean ....

• Posted

Hmmm.. Great that you are healthy! Has it been especially humid round your way recently? Even if its cold, if its humid I look like I've walked out of swimming pool!

Something that seems to work for masses of people (but not me) is Sweat Block wipes. You can get them from amazon, they get really good reviews, maybe it will work for you.

• Posted

I am on thyroid medications and have been for about a little over 15 years I have also had a hysterectomy & blood

pressure problems with other medical problems but the excessive sweating has been occurring for a little over two years & I don't have a clue why but it's all over...

• Posted

I am having similar problems and I have wondered what to do it's mostly at work but everyone else will say how cold it is and I don't know what to do next wish I had an answer for you... I am on several medicines and don't know if that's what the problem is or what

but it's sweating all over like you talk about...

• Posted

Hi my name is Eva, I was having issues with sweating for years thought it was a hormone problem, but as it turns out my problem was medication and for years I was stumped as to why I was sweating so bad but some medicine when combined can cause excessive sweating and some medications have excessive sweating as a side affect so you may want to research your medications to see if one of those has side effects to cause the sweating or if combined with other medications have that side effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.