Felt Terribly ill after finishing 3 day course of Trimethoprim

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was prescribed Trimethoprim 200mg for 3 days for UT infection. The UTI cleared up but, after finishing the three day course, I began to feel incredibly run down. A week later and I was getting increasingly run down with fatigue, bloatedness, hyper-allergin skin reactions and lack of appetite. I felt generally exhausted and very run down indeed. I continued to feel worse and worse over the next two weeks.  Only after more than two weeks did I begin to pull through and feel normal again.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Last week I was prescribedTrimethoprim for a UTi over 3 days I am a stroke survivor 2 days after my 3 days o taking this medication I was contacted urgently by my Gp to pick up a different UTi medication the next morning Co-amoxiclav to take for 2 weeks.this was when I realised a mistake had been made and explained the vomiting,lethargy plus delirium  which scared me imagining I was on the way to having a second stroke,  my brain was feeling all over the place. I have just started to take the new medication and hope to God I will improve, the infection had stopped after the 3 day cycle.i have lost trust in our GP now
  • Posted

I too have been prescribed Trimethoprim 200mg but for 7 days (twice a day) for a UTI.  They seem to have worked on the UTI but I am feeling sick, very weak, tired and lightheaded, have a dull headache, and a dry. rough mouth, tongue and throat which even makes my voice sound awful and gravelly. I am off  my food and have lost 8-lbs in 5 days.  

I have now finished 5 days of the 7 day course but I will stop now as I see you have had a 3 day course which worked, so I hope 5 days is sufficient!  

It's very helpful to know that you are over the worst of the side effects which took two weeks to get back to normal. Thank you for posting that information.

• Posted

I was prescribed Trimethoprim 200mgs twice a day for 7 days for UT infection. The UT cleared up quickly but I felt more ill  each day, From the second day I was completely anorexic due to severe nausea. I found that even the smell of a teabag made me want to retch. I have never felt so ill in my life. By the fifth day I could only tolerate sips of water so I discontinued tablets. I am now making a slow recovery six weeks on I am reasonably enjoying meals but during this episode I have lost 6kgs in weight have a raised liver enzyme and reduced kidney function!
  • Posted

It was interesting to see one of the bloggers who has no faith in his GP.

Due to several occasions when I've even had a brush with death I too have a more serious attitude to many GPs.  As of the last two years I have had a deep rooted

infection that was affecting my inner ear so as to cause dizzines out of the blue when I turned my head quickly, chest wheeziness severe bladder tenderness

all the time but fluctuating to nil to severe over years. Due to me being a male

my bladder symptoms I was fobbed off in no uncertain terms alast year and told

directly by a male GP that he would not prescibe any antibiotic for me despite

my wife having blood in her urine as did I months before she did.  

The alarm bells ring when one sees about an eggcupfull of blood before urination so I thought it was time for KILL or CURE,   I had a course of Septrin over a year

and so took the course over 10 days. After three tablets my inner ear was clear and after 3 days it was a pleasure to pee.   After 2 years of having my sleep broken to get up to urinate I have now had unbroken sleep all night for 12 days

since the antibiotic course..........   I find it absolutely unbelievable that around 7

doctors did not referr my to conduct more in depth analysis in this scientific age.

My situation might not happen on a regular basis but I feel in this instance I have been treated with gross proffesional misconduct..... plus  a blatant lack of basic care.....   I have suffered miserably....   I am thankful now to feel about thirty years younger.   

• Posted

My previose post should say I had the antibiotic (septrin ) to hand over a year but did not take it till 19th October 2015. The tablets were genuine with exp date of 06-16.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.