Olanzapine doses and effective use

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since January 2015, I've been taking Concerta XL for my ADHD. After a struggle with the dose and routine, my GP intervened. With his help, I've been sticking to the daily dose of 72mg with much better results.

Periodic mood swings and occasional manic moments persist. Something, I've managed to hide or disguise, so far. But in July 2015, the GP decided to prescribe Olanzapine.  First at 2.5 mg and then increased to 5 mg. I take this in the mornig at the same as the Concerta. Until the GP prescribed this, I had never heard of it.

May be it's the Olanzapine or may it's seeing my GP more regularly, but I am noticing improvements. There's been a marked reduction of the annoying anxious internal dialogue in my head; fewer mood swings; almost no angry outburts and general calm. I've noticed a slight increase in appetite, but nothing more. I'm fine with taking it.

When I went for my assessment and diagnosis for ADHD (Nov 2014), the ADHD doctor decided to refer me for autism spectral disorder (ASD) assessment. On the recommendation of my GP, I've also been the health centre's pyschologist. Based on his own observations, he also thinks I may be on the ASD spectrum.  I'll be assessed by the NHS ASD unit in Feb 2016.

I also take Mirtazpine 30 mg. I've been taking this for ages. Mainly because I'd occassionally go the GP and say I was feeling anxious. They gave me a prescritption and I'd go away again.

So I am now wondering :

how long should I take Olanzapine ?

is evening better ? I take it in the morning ?

what about coming off the Olazanpine ? (eventually ?) 

anything else I should know ?

Thanks for any advice.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I took Olanzapine for about 9 years I took it at night for the sleep factor, I took 20 mg doses and would have never stopped this med if it wern't for weight gain. I just had my son put on this med he's 13 and has been in a manic state for about 4 months after 9 day's of this med. he's almost stpped his cycle's and is able to think more clearly... he's on 2.5 mg the lowest dose and seem's to be responding very well... I got off Olanzapine and the transition to Saphris was no problem but you should never just stop Olazapine without cutting the dose down I cut the dose by half every 7 day's until I was done... Hope this help's you...

• Posted

Thanks for your advice.

Taking Concerta, Olanzapine and Mirtazapine helps. I feel benefits. In time, I'd like to come of one or all three of these. 

• Posted

Hi there, I think the best thing to do you have to go back to your GP and express how you feel, your GP know your medical history..Mirtazipine is vey good as it work in to two points..normally patients take it an hour before sleeping...to give them a nice rest, just check with your GP is that worth while get it off olanzapine?..normally you don't stop taking it straight away though.

Good Luck

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. I'm a month into this new pill routine:

Morning - Concerta XL & Olzanzapine

An hour or so before bedtime - Mirtazapine

I have felt a marked improvement in my mental health recently. And my GP is pleased with my progress. I am fine about staying on this routine. But I'd like to think I can come off these pills, in time. 

My GP has been very helpful. He's seeing me 1-2 per month and referred me to a pyschologist. He's fully aware of my ongoing medical situation including ADHD diagnosis and ASD assessments.

• Posted

Great...sometime Selenium and Flax seed Oil also help with ADHD /ASD and it does not caused any harm as it is vitamins and mineral...or if you can, just eat brazil nut (just two each day- that is daily recommended dose for selenium) or tin of tuna/salmon or even mackerel or tesco (80p per tin) that is enough and better than flax s.oil, try to  reduce bad food (such as anything junk food: fried food/welldone meat/anything with lots of gluten: wheat/bicabonate drinks such as:coke etc, aspartame (sweetness)/any meat with contain nitrate. If you can, try to eat beet root, kale just once a week, rink plenty of waters at least 2 littre a day, try to walk 15 - 20 minutes each day even though just a gentle walk. Take a deep breathing exercise each morning when you just waking up (even though ust 2 minutes) try this for 1 week..at first its hard..as you get used to it..its getting easier..and your body will crave to do it as its become a habbit to you..and it cost less than going to the gym, you feel rejuvenated...red wine is good to take just a glass each day or guiness..stop smoking if you could if you can't try to reduce it bit by bit..(basically change your life sytle..L.O.L)..try it..let me know how are you getting on..my partner used to be in mirtazipine and others treatments..but he used it less and less each month now..he is only on a very low doze of mirtazipine..my goal is trying to get him off completely...drug is OK to help temporarily..but a longer use...can have side effect..(DO YOU READ THE LEAFLETS OR WHAT THE PHARMA CALLED THE SMPC OF EACH TABLET?..THE SIDE EFFECT..???,  IT IS SCARY ) however in UK, we have such a fantastic NHS...and NICE and DOH has such an excellent guideline..they would like the patients to live a healthy life - they advise people to choose a healthy life style first..SO If YOU CAN...better do it naturally..it take time..but you will get there..ask your GP to help you to achieve your goal..let me know how ar you getting on...
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice. I'm following much of your advice already ! I cycle to work - 30 minutes there, 30 minutes back. Been doing that for years. More recently, I've signifigantly reduced alcohol to about 6 units per week. The recommended maximum for men is 28 units. Most days, I eat 5 pieces of fruit or veg. I have take a vitamin pill mainly for the iron and zinc. And 1-3 portions of fish per week. Junk food extends to a couple of biscuits per day. I cannot remember the last time I bought a fizzy drink. The brazil nuts thing is an excellent suggestion. I have still to stop smoking altogether. Currently having smoke free days and 5 per day one other days.
    • Posted

Well you are getting there..just keep carry on..do not give up ..do you eat lots of bread..choose brown instead of white or alternate rice or potatoes if possible..do you drinks waters..perhaps try each morning with a slice of ginger and lime...if you like tumeric..mix tea spoon tumeric..honey and either rice milk or normal milk..it is unbelieveable how eating habbit can change people life...good job you are cycling..if you are not..you might be worse off..it was scientifically proven that doing exercise and eating healthyly will reduce any kind of disease mostly malnutrition..GOOD LUCK
    • Posted

Been eating rye bread for years. I seldom eat white bread. I like rye bread - partly for the taste and partly because it keeps you going. Think it's something to do with GI, energy and blood sugar. Like your suggestions about ginger lime. And thanks again for the good luck wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.