Horrible Cramps after Stopping Norethisterone

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am new to this site but posted this elsewhere too. I have endometriosis and was put on the Mirena coil after a lot of pressure from my GP in February 2014, had been on micronor up till then, which had reduced the pain but I was spotting a lot. The coil gave me a lot of pain and after 3 months fell out, and I bled so much I needed a transfusion. I was then put on Norethisterone 5mg 3 times a day, which stopped the bleeding but had loads of nasty side effects. I ended up being on this for 9 months and then my consultant said I had to come off them, so was weaned off through March this year and this was replaced by Noriday. I have had a huge amount of pain since then, cramping daily and my periods have been heavy and clotty, virtually back to back (though stopped bleeding for now). I have also had bloating, nausea, off my food, constipation, IBS symptoms, anxiety, anger.

I have seen a lot of posts from people using norethisterone short term for period delay but has anyone else had problems coming off Norethisterone after long term use? I have since seen the consultant and he basically says I will have to ride it out till my body adjusts. I am worried about how long this may take!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Good luck !

I too was on northistrone as was due on for holiday was on these for 3 weeks while on holiday (worst thing I eva did) come home stopped them this was Aug/sept 2014 .cramps bleeding and everything else ! Fast forward to July 2015 in this time I've had a hysteroscopy, minera fitted ( lasted 1 week ) ,minera fitted ( lasted 7 weeks) both came out ! All the time on northistrone except 1 week when they tried to swap me to provera and ended up in hospital with suspected DVT . until July 10th 2015 when I've had an Endometrial ablation because without the northistrone my bleeding was uncontrollable. Fingers crossed uncomfortable at the beginning and infection there its settled and will woop no bleeding yet ! good luck don't suffer .

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear that you have been through so much. So little information and support is given to people needing hormonal therapy. I hope that the ablation will have sorted things out. I am making a slow recovery, the pain is a bit better and feeling a bit more settled within myself. My GP said I have been going through the mother of all PMT, it has been hell, still exhausted and having IBS symptoms so still need to be patient which is a pain!
  • Posted

I know this post is old. But I went on this 2 years ago almost 3. To delay my period as I was going out for my birthday. Not knowing nothing about the tablet!! As soon as I came off it in a week I got bad cramps in the left side of my stomach which moved to the right and into my ribs and back to the right side again. Went to the doctor he said it could be cyst and to wait til my next period which was 4 weeks away. When I went back and said I'm getting pain in my ribs he said I bruised them!! I knew something weren't right. But to cut it short it turned out I had appendicities ... not sure if it was to so with this pill but it's funny how it happened right after I came off. But my appendix is now removed. I am back on this pill though because I took the depo shot and I've been bleeding for 5weeks! So hoping It can help me again!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.