My skin nightmare: Nickel allergy (+ epoxy resin, sodium metabisulphite, palladium chloride)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I have been dealing with a skin disorder for more than 8 months now. I have been misdiagnosed several times (rosacea, perioral dermatitis), but after the patching test, it was clear I am VERY allergic to nickel, among other things. Doctors won't listen to me- I have visited several (even private) and they keep on jumping to one conclusion to another. When I mention my allergies, they say I just have to avoid the culprit. Yeah right. I think I am eating/putting in something at the moment that's causing me flare ups, but I don't know what. Some days my skin is almost cleared, and then out of a sudden, starts burning again. No apparent reason. As allergies/ allergic dermatitis are usually delayed, I can't seem to find out. Nickel is everywhere, epoxy resin is everywhere (plastics, foams, glues, etc) Obviously, I'm not putting anything on my face that can cause it (used to wear glasses, not anymore) but to this day, I am really really struggling with it. I have also requested psychological medical help cause it is affecting me mentally, both personal and professionally.  

If anyone's dealing with the same problem, please let me know how are you getting in with it.

At the moment, I'm at a low nickel diet (started last week), not so much improvement, but we will see. I am not using any prescribed cream/medicine at the moment. Last doctor prescribed doxycicline 40 mg but I have decided to ditch it since there's no point in it.

Many thanks.         

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have a nickel allery as well. But I have never heard of a nickel diet. What is that. However, there is nickel in cutlery, so try using plastic for a while, just to test that. Lakeland do a nickel free cutlery range. Also have you had any operations or any surgical instruments used on yourself There is 7-8% nickel in all surgical instruments, to strengthen them, and surgical needles are coated in it, to make them strong enough for injecting
  • Posted

No, I haven't had any surgery. The culprit were the glasses I bought back on xmas time (nickel + epoxy resin: boom) It seems once your body reaches a certain level of nickel it can abide, then you have a flare up. Here's more info about the low nickel diet: http://www.pennstatehershey.org/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=0888ec6e-3d2f-4766-833e-b38bd920ffcd&groupId=102184

I usually wear earrings (prolly with nickel) and necklaces, but since I have never ever had any reaction on my ears/ neck or other any place rather than my face (nose and cheeks), I never thought it could be affecting it. Do you think you can put nickel on a certain part of your body and have a rash in some other part? I am pretty confused.

• Posted

Hi

Writing on behalf of Alison Bell who is 32 years old, seriously ill and predominantly bedridden

For the last 15 months she's had extreme perioral dermatitis. Every topical cream or treatment she reacts to. Finally we found a doctor who could perform patch testing at her home as she's housebound. The tests show she's allergic to nickel. We looked back and she started using a stainless steel steamer a month before the skin condition started. We're told it's not likely the cause but we've read people online saying otherwise. Do you have any info on this? I can send you pictures of her face if it would help. Many thanks for any info.

• Posted

Ps doxycycline actually has antiinflammatory properties but it can take a long time, 2 months course.
  • Posted

Nikle allergy too. but since I took my ring off cleared.up. wear silver and platinum now. when. I found out about allergy I also reacted to sodium metabsulphate. never changed.diet or anything now.2.years on I seem to.suffer.terrible from sodium metabsulphate. now react when.I drink.prosecco. but Drs just think hang over. I know it's. not as 36 and had hangovers and drink it for years. had just started drinking it 2014 ready for my wedding so.not a soba bride. since April 2016 I now react worse. don't drink often. so I can pin point cause. where can I go to find.out more or more. testing on.sodium metabsulphate. get vertigo symptoms now and lasts four days!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.