sativex

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there people . I have been suffering with back trouble for about 15 years . Over the last few years things have been getting worse . I've had a couple of Mri scans that show that I have herniated discs and bulging. I have been taking tramadol for a couple of years . Which does not really keep the pain fully away ,but just gets me bye . I'm a bit worried about taking these meds for such a long time . I have been reading about sativex prescription cannabis. Does any one know if I can get this on prescription in the UK ? . Or is there any one taking this medicine for similar condition? . Many thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

As far as I know it is only prescribable for MS (multiple sclerosis) patients, but yes it is on prescription in the UK. 
    • Posted

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg186 ;

its use is restricted by NICE in MS patients, it seems funding isn't there and would probably need a private prescription in any case. 

You wouldn't get it for back pain. It's for spasticity in MS. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Sarah . . Perhaps it will be available for this condition in the near future, hopefully! . Thanks again.
    • Posted

No worries.

I read it was going to be trialled for cancer pain. 

I understand why you're not keen on tramadol long term!

speak to your GP for pain review...maybe pain clinic? 

• Posted

I suppose if it was to be on prescription it would then A postcode lottery. Yeah I will speak to my doc and ask to be referred to pain clinic. .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.