Amitriptyline and ear ringing!!

Posted , 15 users are following.

Is anyone else getting this?  If I come of the amitripyline will it stop?

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I find the amitriptyline  causes this. Xx
    • Posted

How long have you been on the Amitriptyline?  how do you cope with the ear ringing?  have you considered stopping Amit. x
    • Posted

I didn't have the ear ringing until I started the amitriptyline and it definitely stops and starts with the medication. I have found that gabapentin does this too. I don't really notice it too much now so I'm not sure if it has got better as I've got used to the medication or if I've got used to the ringing but it's not a major problem for me now. I know some medications can cause a ringing in th ears and everyone is different so I guess it doesn't do it for everyone. I've been on the amitriptyline for a number of years now although I'm currently in the process of reducing the dose and changing to something else. If you have only recently started it might be worth trying it a bit longer and see if it settles down xx
    • Posted

You say it stops and starts with the medication, how long after you stop does the ringing go?
    • Posted

To be honest ,I can't remember. I do recall when starting the dose realising that the ringing was there and realising it was related to the medication but I can't remember the other way so I'm guessing it just gradually disappeared as I reduced the dose to a level where I didn't notice it any more. Sorry can't be more specific. Xx
  • Posted

hi valerie ive been on amitripyline for for about 22 years now ive never suffered with ringing in the ears go back to your doctor as you have tinnitus and may have a infection in your ears do hope this message helps 
  • Posted

yes its a major side effect of taking this drug been on it over a year had ear ringing before but its must worse taking Amitriptyline 
    • Posted

Do you find the ringing is worse some days than others?  Mine has been horrid today.  What dose are you on?

• Posted

Speak To your GP first don't just stop as the side effects are horrendous what dose are you on ?
    • Posted

I spoke to GP today actually, I needed reassurance that this ringing IS going to stop eventually.  No, I wouldn't just stop taking them I have to taper off,  I was on 50mg daily when the ear ringing started!!!  She said I can drop down 10mg fortnightly.
  • Posted

Good luck with that it's been a god send for me with neve pain at night
    • Posted

Thank you,  this is my 3rd withdrawal so I am getting quite an old hand at it!!  Worst by far was Seroxat it even mentions on Wikipedia that it is hard to withdraw from.
  • Posted

Mines been there since my teenage years playing loud muisc when it's quite its horrible ringing but I just put up with it I use ear plugs at night which helps me sleep

The dose I take is 30-40 mg per night makes me constipated too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.