Codeine addiction...and how to kick it.

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hello,

My name is Jayd and i am 24 years old. I have been a codeine addict for the best part of 3 years now. I am now in my 3rd month of being codeine free and i cannot begin to explain how amazing i feel. You read forums and horror stories about how horrible it is and difficult to come off codeine and i am here to tell you now...it's really not all that bad. I want to help people like me. I will be 100% honest, i will share my feelings and tips and help you become the person you used to be before this nasty drug took over. I can help you. And the new, codeine free you starts today. Do know where all of the pharmacies are in your area? You know what time they open and shut right? You know which one you went to yesterday so you can't go back there today? You know which staff question you and which ones don't? You know the ones that remember your face and know what you're doing but don't say anything? You know how easy it was to get taken in by the warming, floaty feeling you get when you take enough codeine but then you had to start taking more and more and more to get the same effect. And then that warm floaty feeling is gone...you dont get that anymore....you  just have to take it because your body is craving it. And then you take too many and get that sickly feeling in your stomach. You haven't been to the bathroom for days and days because your so backed up. You know your bank statement has a different pharmacy on it every day. You know that you shouldnt be doing it but when the feelings start wearing off, you have to have more. Just a little more. And then you feel okay again. You think nobody notices. Your family, your friends, your partner & your colleagues. They do. They don't know the extent, but they know. Please, let me help you. 

7 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Let me know the secret - I was taking 1200mg a day and have been detoxing and really struggling - been to NA and following another person's taper plan
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

I know your struggle. I really do. But there is no secret. You have to truly want to be clean first of all. There is no point trying if you just give up at the first hurdle. But take it hour by hour. Human instinct is to succeed and if you tell yourself you've done well let's just go another hour. Then you reach a day. And another. And another. And after a few days the headaches and the shaky restless legs and the part of your brain that's telling you to get more codeine subsides. Months and months onwards I still see pharmacies and think out of habit I'll nip in and get some Solpadeine Max or I'll go get another prescription for my 30/500s but I promise you it'll be the best god damn thing you'll ever do. Good luck! X

• Posted

I’m brilliant thanks Sharon! Haven’t looked back since. It’s a regular struggle at the doctors as they just seem to want to prescribe you cocodomol for everything pain related and to say you don’t want opiates without explaining why can be tricky but other than that I’m brilliant Thankyou! Best thing I ever did. X 
  • Posted

Hi Jayd! Please let me know your secret! I've been on codeine for just under 15 years and relapse every time I try 😢
    • Posted

Hey,

I assume from your name you have a lovely bundle of joy! Do this for Skylar. I'd say from a personal non medical perspective for you I'd try cutting down every day by a few tablets but you've got to fight your body. It'll tell you to have more. But you're in control. The symptoms of withdrawal can be bad I'm not going to lie it'll keep you awake at night and you'll wake in a pool of sweat and it's no fun. But every single time one of those things was happening to me I thought "ya know what - good. This is my body getting rid of the codeine. This is my bodys way of telling me that it's not used to this" and every single time it made me more determined not to reach in my drawer for my codeine. You've got to have that determination. You're in control. Good luck X

• Posted

Hi Jayd,your post was basically my life for past 16 years. Especially the bits about chemists. I'm now tapering down and although past 2 weeks have been a nightmare I'm just about managing to stick to plan. I'm glad your clean and yes I'm starting to feel good again.
    • Posted

Hey Jamie,

Well done you! I don't know you and probably never will but I am so proud. You forget when youre on codeine what normal feels like. You only know the nice dreamy sensation and the withdrawing sensation. But when your withdrawing for good - after that few days of nightmarish feelings you start to feel normal again and it's the most amazing feeling in the world! Please carry on! I wish you the best X

• Posted

Hi Jayd, I think this discussion shows that different things work for different people. I never imagined I'd be able to kick and be normal again but it just goes to show what we are all capable of. I just hope anyone reading this who's hooked on the little white pills and there life revolves around going to different chemists every day can see that it can be beaten
  • Posted

Hi.

​    reading your story took me back in time, like you i was crazy addicted to codeine. this progressed to other opioid drugs. then I was introduced {illegally mind you} to methadone. well it was like i had found the love of my life!!!!!

​I was buying around 30-150mgs every 4 days and this went on for two years. all my wages were sucked up into this drug, I finally got myself the help i needed and went on the methadone programme. 10 years later im still on it, I  have tried to come off it twice but it seems my will power is weak and i went back on the programme, I wish you well in kicking your habit, good luck.

• Posted

Thankyou Bernie.

I'm so sorry to hear about your problems. I wish I could help. If you need a chat you know where to find me! I wish you all the best. Hopefully the next time we speak we can work towards a cleaner more healthy you. God speed X

• Posted

Are you going to tell us how to get off it?
    • Posted

He said if you ask he will help you. Try sending a pm to him explaining your situation.
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

I personally went for the cold turkey method. I started to take one or two tablets less for a day or so and then though sod it - binned all of the tablets and went through the motions. All I can offer is advice from experience but if you want to talk I'm here! X

• Posted

Hi Jay

I have been in rehab for a while.  I detoxed myself cold turkey in the end.  Went to the NHS and all they wanted to do was put me on a subutex script even though I was 3 days totally clean!! When I said no, they said well there is nothing else we can do.  So I paid for rehab - took every penny I had - 9K.  I am now over 40 days clean off everything.  Physical withdrawals have totally gone however I am suffering from depression and anxiety very badly.  I have had depression since I was 13 but have always self-medicated.  I just hope this is not me now without drugs!  Cheers for the reply Sue 

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Have you tried E.F.T. Also called tapping, or daily meditation practice?  I think these two things might help alleviate your depression. 

Regards,

Joe 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.