Hip replacement and osteotomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I was diagnosed with perthes when I was 5. Had

Two osteotomy and 1 year in plaster from waist down . Now aged 47 have had hip replacement plus another osteotomy as femur was bent. Just wondering if anyone else has been through the same surgery

Fiona xx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fiona,

I had the option of the year in plaster at the age of 11, very late really developing it, did you take a lot of sport at school as I read that it was down to a loss of blood to the joint probably from a knock.

I haven't had a hip operation yet, I am 45 but I will need one soon, I always wondered whether the plaster would help but I ended up on crutches for a year.

Jason

• Posted

Hello, I have not had that type of surgery, but my understanding is that each case is different...Or each hip has its own odd shape for each person and each doctor is hopefully treating that way.  How are you doing now??
  • Posted

I'm not quite sure what osteotomy means, but i did have the top of my femur cut and repostioned (Not good with surgical language). This was due to my socket flattening and at 7 years of age, due to perthes.

Is this similar??

Laura

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.