Great, my dyshidrotic eczema returns again!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been having recurrent dyshidrosis for the last two years and I am sick of it, I've had enough, luckily it's not severe but still I get it every autumn/winter and I just want it gone. If I make an emergency appointment for the GP would they be able to refer me to the dermatology department of my local hospital, the creams don't really work and I'd like to maybe see if I can be given UV photo therapy as that could maybe help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jonathan, I feel your frustration as I've had a similar problem for the last few years, except that for me it seems to occur at all times of the year. I've had many disappointing consultations with GPs and dermatologists, but I think it is worth persevering. Perhaps you haven't yet used the most potent topical steroids (which can make a big difference over a short time)? Do you need patch testing to detect specific allergies? I haven't tried UV therapy, but this is reputed to work for some. Getting stocked up with gloves can also help with the everyday.

All the best

Anthea

• Posted

I have tried a low powered tanning bed with great results, I also wash in dead see salts. When I'm on holiday my dermatitis go away so I mimic it by salt water sun. Try & seek out a tanning shop with low powered 100w tubes & a 10-15 minute session depending on your skin type should help a lot. Most people find the winter flairs eczema/dermatitis & psoriasis up.

Good luck

• Posted

I know the feeling, Jonathan! I suffered from dyshidrotic eczema for five years. I had a pretty bad case too -- terribly painful and itchy blisters on my hand and foot that would keep me up at night and would occur several times a year. My dermatologist was able to get me some topical meds that did help treat it, but it was such an awful recurring issue, that I was determined to find the cause.

There is some evidence that dyshidrotic eczema is caused by an overabundance of nickel in one's system, which unfortunately is in a lot of foods, as well as most of your tech devices, like phones, computers, game controllers, etc. I actually cover my devices now with tape or other material to limit my direct contact with them, as I seemed to get a tingly, irritated feeling if I worked on my laptop too long and my hand was in contact with it.

I also changed almost all of my personal products to less toxic, more natural solutions -- from face washes, creams and shampoos, to laundry detergent and cleaning products. Almost all of my personal products now are naturally derived.

While I can't say exactly what caused my dyshidrotic eczema, I can say that ever since I made these lifestyle switches two years ago, I haven't had a flare-up. My advice would be to gradually switch your products to more natural ones without a lot of harsh chemicals, and be conscious of your contact with technical devices. See if it makes a difference. If it does, great! If not, you just rid yourself of a few products that were probably harmful to you in other ways anyway.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi there,

does your condition start with small dry while patches of skin that then peel getting bigger as they do.

mine do this, and mine are stress induced which fits as it only started 12 months ago while trying to sell my home.

Nurse advised Cotton gloves at night and gave me a prescription for a really thick petroleum type cream. Also told me to use gloves to stop hands getting wet. Put moisturiser on after washing hands, now its barely visible.

ps no scent or smell to either ointment or hand cream. Have you tried this?

• Posted

Hi yes I've started suffering in last couple years and am in mid 60s. No idea of cause but think must be allergy related. Started after trip to Madagascar and came home with horrible virus so wondering if picked up something that caused it there. Been to a dermy privately this year but didn't like being on steroids so have gone it alone just using emollient like Epiderm. Travel a lot so top up the rays but skin often reacts badly. All a learning curve.Like the ideas re tanning and salt etc. Well good luck with it as we all have to find our own way through the battle!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.