Is it possible to have 47XXY with regular sized testes?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 19 year old male and feel like I fit most of the symptoms for the disorder. Tall, wide hips(both in the fat that I have and the actual bone structure) , fat distribution, late puberty(late and never completed), female pubic hair patterns, little to no body hair, gyno, many symptoms of low t, very low sperm count near 0 (from my own microscope lol), underdeveloped penis, personality traits,facial features never developed etc. . I went down the list on webmd and almost very single one was a check mark except for the tell tale under developed testes. They are by no means huge but they do fall within the normal range. I will not neglect my appointment with my physician but that is three months from now so wanted to see if I could get some info beforehand. 

I feel like I fit very well into the disorder but the key sign is not there.

maybe I'm just a teen with some very late puberty. Can't wait to have my doc get the tests ordered and have everything figured out.  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

that's all very interesting.  I don't have testicles at all, I had them both amputated years ago, but when I did have them they were both less than 1.0ml in volume, that's about as big as a pea.  However when I was 11 my next door neighbour asked if I had pubic hair, which I did have, and he wanted to see it, so I showed him.  At that time I recall defintely having balls bigger than 1.0 ml  not that I actually measuered them, but they were definitely palpable as my next door neighbours wanted more than he was letting on at the time of asking.  He didn't just want to see my pubes he wanted to feel my penis and my balls too!  This is how I remember the events, who forgets the first time their balls were felt by someone else?  lol

So the balls of XXY guys aren't 'under developed'  they're atrophied, or shrunken, or diseased.  They do actually grow normally to a point.  My reading says they can grow to upwards of 12 mls volume before they atrophy.  My reading also says is it possible for an XXY man to have normally sized and functioning testes.  Of course such a man will not have any of the symptoms of KS as KS is a form of hypogonadism, and hypogonadism is caused by, of course, low testosterone.

Balls only get big in puberty because of more testosterone production.  So when I was 11 I had more testosterone production, which resulted in development of my scrotum, and testes, and penis.  I predict it must have been by age 14 that my balls started to atrophy. And 3 years later I was found to be XXY  when my balls measured in at less than 1.0 mls.  I had all the normal male developmental stages of puberty, frequent spontaneous erections, lots of masturbation, orgasm, ejaculation, everything.  I had a frfiend who had a bigger erect penis than me, but so what? My penis was the biggest penis I'd ever had, and in my eyes it was enormous. What I didn't do was grow facial and body hair, and didn't develop musculature associated with males in puberty.    Even his mother commented on how much body hair her son had, compared to me with none, and he was a year younger than me.  We would sunbathe naked in her back yard, covering ourselves only when she came out, so I suppose she saw much more than we thought she saw?  

I do recall not being able to find swimwear to fit me when I was 14, but I could fit female swimwear, which was most upsetting.  

All people have the same degree and style of pubic hair when puberty begins, as initially pubic hair is influenced by adrenal hormones not gonadal hormones.  The male pattern described is brought about by testosterone but as females don't have all that much testosterone their pubic hair doesn't develop that diamond shape most males have, after some time in puberty.   So young males can have female pattern pubic hair for quite a long period of time and not be XXY or hypogonadal, it just depends on their own family genetics.  

It's only if there's FPPH, atrophied testes, lack of male musculature, for an extended period, and all at the same time, that doctors will notice.  Or possibly the mother of a Jewish friend watching her son and his friend sunbathing naked? rolleyes

So I suggest you go and see a doctor.         

• Posted

Hello Andre82901,

iI have read you post with interest, in truth I doubt you have  47XXY because of the size of your testes. I am not saying it's impossible but it is unlikely. It is not unusual for young men to develop late, so at 19 that is only midway for those of us with the condition because we tend to mature usually around mid to late twenties, sometimes later than that.

That said, keep your appointment with your doctor, and ask him if you should have developed more by now, then mention your other issues. But, a word of caution, after all their years of study they tend to resent patients telling them their theories and Internet search evidence, so my advice would be to prepare for your appointment by having legible notes to refer to, then list them in order of importance; practice reading them out so you feel confident enough to discuss but from a subjective position. This should elevate the doctor to listen attentively, then get eye contact and smile; people like people who smile.

i shouldn't say this here but the Mayo Clinic give very good advice on how to prepare for a doctors appt. Give it a try Andre, and good luck.

best wishes,

John

• Posted

I think that's a pretty good reply there John.  I use my Smartphone to take notes with, and ask my doctors questions.  It's much easier as I never lose my phone.  biggrin  According to my Endo the possibility of being XXY and having normally sized and functioning testes is astronomically tiny!  However, as I can quote from a document that describes such an individual, then it must be more common than he thinks. That XXY man is still said to have KS though, no symptoms of KS at all, but getting doctors to change is like getting granite to melt, it can be done it's just not easy.  rolleyes

cheesygrin 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.