Olanzapine vs Aripiprazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was on 20mg Olanzapine daily for five years and grew from a physically healthy man in to a very large blob, patricularly putting on weight around my middle (The heart attack zone) after some pleading my doctor eventually mentioned Aripiprazole.

After she contacted my psychiatrist I was switched over a month to 10mg Aripiprazole. It has only been a short time, but I feel much better mentally than I ever did on Olanzapine and I am finally losing weight despite still fighting the occasional binge.

What I don't understand is why medical practitioners should head straight to Olanzapine and make no mention of Aripiprazole.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, am thinking of going on aripiprazal and wondered if you get restless legs on it and get the zombie thing on it. Was on rispiridone before and had terrible side effects.
  • Posted

Hi,

I have noticed no side effects with Aripiprazole.

I think I may need to go up from 10mg so side effects may kick in, but nothing so far.

I hope you have success with it.

• Posted

Why do they head straight for Olanzapine instead of choosing from ANY number of safer and better alternatives such as Geodon, Abilify, Saphris, even Risperdal or Seroquel?  There really is no excuse.   These doctors who prescribe Zyprexa as a first option or even as an option at all show a total recklessness and complete disregard for patient health, safety and wellbeing.  The weight gain associated with Zyprexa is more than any other pharmaceutical in use in any country on earth.  There is just no justifiable reason to prescribe it at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.