Stopping anal itching especially after hemorrhoids

Posted , 3 users are following.

One day I didn’t have hemorrhoids and the next day I did……I wasn’t even sure what it was but then went to my local supermarket that same day as I was in pain and got the regular creams and suppositories for hemorrhoids and this eased the pain. However, worse was to come as although I had eased the hemorrhoids I was left with a very embarrassing and itchy bum! I wasn’t sure what to do so went to the doctor who gave me Canesten hydrocortisone cream and this did work but it said to not use it for more than a week or 10 days (something like that) as it caused thinning of the skin etc and I know this can cause itchy skin. It was like a vicious cycle. I had to get off this steroid cream fast and came across a few articles that helped so I wanted to sum it up for anyone who has had this same problem, whether the anal itching was caused by haemorrhoids or something else. This is the routine I followed…..

I iced my anal passage with a lolly pop covered in kitchen roll and then applied what I can only describe as a miracle creamthat is only available in this strength in America. The cream is called ‘Desitin’ maximum strength 40% zinc oxide diaper rash cream….yes it is basically just for baby’s with nappy rash but it is a true god send. As I live in the UK, I had to get it off Amazon! It was a little dearer with shipping costs etc than normal but I would have paid anything. It has to be the 40% zinc oxide to work.

Within a few days my symptoms eased and have not returned. I think the cream helped to mend the skin and ease the itching at the same time and please make sure YOU DO NOT SCRATCH.

I have never written on a forum before but wanted to share this as I know how much it can be painful, annoying and embarrassing and make you sad. I hope this helps.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Im afraid dear you do not have pruritus ani. There is no way u could possibly have just stopped itching...my daughter and I have searched for years for a stop to the "itch" she has had it for almost 4 years.. we have tried the most complex to vinegar baths. Glad you dont itch anymore. Maybe we will find a cure as well.

• Posted

I am not entirely sure what it was, all I know is that it came after the hemrroids were getting better and I couldn't get rid of it for about 4 weeks which felt like a lifetime so I am so sorry that you and your daughter have had it for so long. I read about the cream on another forum and didn't believe it but it did work. It wasn't the same night I put it on but allowed me to not scratch as much and to persevere with the cream. Please try it.
    • Posted

Hi Susie like you been searching for years now for a cure, worse at nights for some reason.

Sue

• Posted

LIke Susie been suffering for years, will def give the cream you suggest a try though. Not quite sure what you meant by the I iced my anal passage with a lolly pop covered in kitchen roll ?  do you mean an ice pole as in the frozen lolly type, then applied the cream?

Sue

• Posted

Yes sorry Sue, I haven't explained this very well. My children like the ice lolly pops that come as juice and you freeze (the cheap ones) so once frozen I used them. I had a day and night routine where I would wrap the ice pop in kitchen paper or toilet paper for about 10 minutes and lie on my bed and then apply the cream. In the first few weeks I kept the area extremely clean by using wet wipes (fem fresh or something like that from asda as they were alcohol free and think possibly they were to keep the other end clean really) after going to the toilet, also avoided toilet paper and applied the cream. I was very strict with the routine. Hope this makes sense.
    • Posted

Hi rebekkah thanks i get it now i think, sorry for such personal question but do you use the ice pop to cool the outer area  then apply the cream or partialy insert and then apply the cream. my itchiness is spreading further around and inside too now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.