HBOT may help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have read many of the posts here and am amazed that there has been no mention of hyperbaric oxygen treatment for osteomyelitis.  While I don't know where any of you live there are many centres across North America that would provide this kind of treatment.  

In Ontario Canada, it is an approved indication for osteomyelitis and as a result is covered under our provincial healthcare plan.  Ideally the patient should be on a course of antibiotics when they start treatment.  I encourage all of you to give this a try.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kelly!

I have had osteo in my jawbone for 15 years and have tried everything, including the hyperbaric oxygen. I did six weeks of the oxygen in conjunction with antibiotic therapy. Unfortunately, I had a bad flare up during the therapy and the doctors determined it wasn't helping. So they stopped the treatment 2-weeks short of the prospected 8-week goal.

• Posted

Hi, I went through 29 sessions over two months (avg 4 days per week) and HBOT really helped my diabetic foot ulcer heal.  Unfortunately the underlying osteomyelitis in my big toe area ie MTP joint, metatarsal still did some bone damage (they only gave me Augmentin (Amoxicillin) for 6 weeks orally).  But it's all healed up and the docs & podiatrist think the bone damage is "liveable" and recoverable (ie no bone resection necessary).
  • Posted

Please can I get a proper direction, I'm on my knees.I'm dying of pains

• Posted

Hi Kelly. I'm in Ontario too with just finding out I have a bone infection. Did you get cured of your bone infection?

Nancy

• Posted

Hi nancy15469,

Did you ever get a response from Kelly?

I too have osteomeylitis and from Southern Ontario. I have been dealing with this disease since 2014 and will be on my second round of IV treatment tomorrow. This has been a journey since and I am hoping to get a better result the second time around. I am hoping to see my Infection DR and will be asking about HBOT. Hope to hear from you soon!

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

OMG...... I try to tell EVERYONE in my same situation of degenerative bone diseases about "Hypoberic Therapy"...... there are only just now starting to use it in the USA for gastric issues......... what is up with this I want to know.....  I know that it Europe HBOT therapy is used on every surgical patient regardless of the procedure...... It sucks to live in a country where the Medical profession is dictated to by Pharma. Co. and Ins. Co....... our amazing Med students graduate here in the USA and then leave to pursue their medical careers in countries where they can actually make contributions and changes...... the USA need to STOP Pharma. and Ins. dictate to Medical providers how to treat their patients and get to the business of getting people healthy rather then making them take meds that don't work.....or ins. only allowing procedures that are known to have the domino effect on the patient.

Thank you for writing you post...... I was so happy to see it....... II am currently looking into purchasing a home HBOT tank or unit....... research research research......

Take care.....stay well....... Erela

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.