Lyrica side effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi.  Well I went on Lyrica 11 days ago, 50mg morning and evening. At first I was fine and thought I had got something that worked, but the side effects have kicked in, unsteady, blurry eyes, feeling sick etc., cure is becoming harder to deal with than the complaint as in TN.  Should I ride it out or stop taking these as they are messing with my head.  I have also tried tegretol and had to stop them also. What do ye think?  Think I might ring GPs today as I can't go to his surgery as I need to stick close to home!  Thank you in advance. Oh yes, if I do stop Lyrica, do I just stop or ween off, thanks again.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was on Pregabalin for ATN.It was as if I was on a recreational drug! Be very careful when you wean yourself off this medication although you have been on it for only a short time so may be okay.When I weaned off Pregabalin I was hallucinating,throwing up,and a whole host of other withdrawal effects including two weeks in bed.I then slowly weaned off, very slowly ,by using liquid Pregabalin .So slow and very little......good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for reply, your withdrawal symptoms sounds like some of what I'm going through taking them, to be honest I'm afraid to stop taking them but kinda feel it can't be mich worse than how I'm feeling today.  I know myself when I ring the GP if he thinks I should stop them, he will just say stop, but from reading everyone's comments I shouldn't stop straight off, but I know these are not for me...  Ah nothing is easy 😏
    • Posted

Jean if your doctor says to come off Pregabalin straight away DONT! Ask him about liquid Pregabalin......most doctors wean you off prescription medication way too quickly.Just be your advocate,it is your body.However ,as I have said you may not have any problems because you have not been on this drug for very long.If you feel if this medication is not for you  then tell your doctor so and start to wean yourself off it.Good luck again......you can do this!
  • Posted

I take much more Lyrica than that. I would stick it out a bit longer to see if the effects wear off - it can take a while. They can be very effective painkillers but they do work on your central nervous system hence the side effects. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank u for your reply, I've been told to take it back to just one 50mg and see how I go.  The thing is the past month I've had a side effects from a strong dose of Tegretol and now Lyrica so I seem to have been sick, dizzy, headaches for the last month or so and I'm tired of it.  Ah I will get there. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Hi Jean again! Some people are extremely sensitive to medications.I am one of them .....I have been on countless meds for my ATN......the only one that  I could build up on without feeling awful was pregabalin.I was on it for about two years and it did deal with the pain very well indeed. BUT I was in a zombie state for those two years hence reason for coming off it.We all react very differently to medications and you may have to have a few trials before you find the right one without the side effects.And I say again you are your very best advocate.Hang in there!
  • Posted

Why don't you see if you can go on gabapentin or trileptal or amitriptyline as they work for me. Unfortunately you do have side effects its just finding the one that works the best for you.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda, the way I'm feeling today I NEVER want another tablet ever!  I have been so sick since stopping Lyrica and as I wasn't too long on it I thought it wouldn't be so bad, but then I was thinking I was on Tegretol for six months up to end of August so maybe I'm so sick because of both drugs not just the one.  No matter what happens next I never, ever want to hear the words, Tegretol, Lyrica or withdrawals again.  Rant over back to bed for me now!  
    • Posted

Oh poor you jean! You certainly do seem to be very sensitive to medication .Find a homeopathic doctor and he/she will beable to help you with the side effects you still have.Good luck!
    • Posted

Sensitive is the word, I have to say I don't ever remember feeling so bad in my 57 years!  Got tablets to help with the awful sickness, started them last night, so Please God they will help.  I'm now on 3 and a half days (who's counting!!) withdrawl, not as bad as the last two days, thankfully.  You know it's lovely to be able to post on here as it makes you feel not alone, I said it before if I had a broken arm or leg people would understand.  I just wonder when I go back to normal, whatever that is and some might say it's a plus, but having been sick on and off the tablets I've lost 15lbs, could think of a nicer diet 😱. Thank for your support and sympathy of course.J.
    • Posted

Thank goodness you are feeling better! I really truly can emphazise with you- I have been there....once even in hospital with a medication reaction.After awhile I just decided to manage the ATN pain rather than let it manage me.I simply cannot take the side effects from medication ...worse than the pain.I have just started the homeopathic remedy and also researching other alternatives ...you will feel better soon,usually took me a week or so.Are you in UK or USA? I maybe able to help you in managing the pain.
    • Posted

Ah you are so good.  I'm so not going to touch another tablet for this EVER again.  I've looked into a few alternative options and I have even been given the contact details for a faith healer who I'm going to see when I get back on my feet.   Thanks for keeping me going, J.  P.S. I'm in Ireland 🍀
    • Posted

Well that's been an interesting two weeks, spent 10 days in bed, so sick I had to call Doctor to my home, I honestly don't know if it was Tegretol and Lyrica leaving my system but in the middle of that a kidney infection decided to join the party!  So I'm sitting here now wiped out & just read back through the comments and I have to say while Doctor didn't think it was coming off the tablets made me so sick, I do, maybe just maybe I came off them too soon.  Anyway it's almost 3 weeks since I took any tablet other than antibiotic and will see how I go, as mentioned the side effects are worse than the complaint.  So, that's me but just to say Thank you for your support and hope all is good with u.  🏃 This is me running next week 😂
    • Posted

Been there done that came to my mind straight away after I read your posting but those words are way too flippant given how ghastly you felt.Of course the doctor ( I find in the UK in particular)would say it was not the medications......of course it was...and rather suspicious that you get a kidney infection on top of everything.How much stress were your kidneys under during withdrawal??? !!!I got a very bad infection straight after a horrific withdrawal from pregabalin last year.But now you are recovering and  that is good.How is the TN?

When you feel ready and recovered get back to me and perhaps I can help you with managing your pain .The NH run very good pain management courses( you have to wait a year to attend.) I went on one in May and June for facial pain and it was excellent. Best bit is being with  people who all have the same complaint.Its somehow reassuring.All the best.

• Posted

Hi, well finally day 10 on Keflex, hard going but I so hope the infection is gone, I've had so many pains and side effects I don't know what's what 😏 I've made an appointment for Monday ( I will have shares in the surgery I've been in it so much this past number of weeks or at least I should have!)  a few years ago I had an overactive thyroid and since then I have to have bloods done every six months - these I had done end of September and all was grand, colestral, liver, thyroid, FBC and of course my kidneys, then I go on Lyrica for 10 days and then off it after 3 further days 

and get hammered with a kidney infection- if I'm told again it wasn't either Tegretol or Lyrica made me sick I think I will point this out to them 😳 Anyway fingers crossed for Monday and hopefully I can start building myself back up and get living again,

oh yes, my TN has been very well behaved recently, I think maybe all the bed rest I've had these past number of weeks may have helped.

• Posted

Well done on getting your life back! The bedrest may have helped your TN but I have found that when I am ill TN decides to disappear,almost saying that I don't need to cope with too much,haha! I've been over the top with facial pain these last two weeks as I've had a very stress filled few weeks.I spent yesterday with a small grandchild,relaxed, and pain much better! Stress for me is a huge factor in my pain levels.But then I expect that is so for any type of pain! Now continue to get better and good luck with your doctor visit.Let me know......
    • Posted

Hi well to quote my GP "clean as a whistle". I was so worried as I just couldn't face any more tablets.  Seems it will take a while for my poor body get back to normal and I need to eat.  I suppose it is right when you think I've taken 44 antibiotics in the last 3 weeks 😳 On top of coming off Tegretol and Lyrica and having lost a stone and a half in weight.  Anyway I'm going to stop talking about "poor me" people are a lot worse off than me at the minute, but Thank you so much for your support & everyone on this forum.  Wishing all good health. J. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.