Pain in the left side of throat near Adam's apple

Posted , 99 users are following.

My throat has been hurting for two weeks.  It's not your typical sore throat, it's like a pain left outside of the throat near edge of Adam's apple. It doesn't hurt when I swallow like a normal sore throat would, but it kind of has it's own little spasms of pain.  Let me describe these symptoms more specifically: Comes on and off, frequetly everyday.  It is located adjacent to my adam's apple, but further back.  (if you feel your adams apple, take two fingers and move more back, around your throat tract) and that's where the pain is.  The pain is like a little pinch.  It's tolerable, but it is incredibly annoying.  It mostly hurts on the left side. The pain is there no matter what my actions are.  If I talk, sneeze, blow my nose, yawn Somethings is pricking with sharp needle at edge of my Adams Apple. no swelling in my throat, swollen lymph nodes nor it is tight.  Rarely, I'll have to breathe deeper because of this. There is no swollen area from what I can tell.  So I'm wondering if this has anything to do with thyroid or lymph nodes? Maybe tonsils? Or throat Cancer i dont know.  I'm not very educated about the throat. ALSO, I have NO cold symptoms, whatsoever. I am on anti biotics (amoxcyclin) for a week and ibuprofen 400mg for a week. No let-up from the sharp pinch and dull aching in the left side of the neck. I only have trouble with swallowing saliva when I sneeze, yawn, talk on the phone, burp or yawn. Normal drinking & eating food is fine. I also feel very dull pain in the left ear.

Please help me.  I'm really terrified & worried about this as my grandma died of throat cancer many many years ago.

Thank you so much for any of your input or advice.

I genuinely appreciate it.

11 likes, 103 replies

103 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi,

Exactly same symptoms. Started back in July but disappeared after sometime. Now it is back. It hurts only when I push it inside.

I do smoke. Been to ENT doctor. Asked me to do Neck CT scan. He said nothing is there. Please help. The only problem I have is a stiff neck shoulders and goose cervical. Noy sure if this has anything to do with my pain.

Please help

• Posted

My symptoms: Left side adams apple pain. Sharp needle like pain. Comes and goes. Been there for weeks. I also have back neck pain which is attributed to my anxiety disorder. I think this could be related to anxiety too. Do you have anxiety too? How would you describe your pain?
    • Posted

I have the same thing as you I had camera down my throat and came back clare .it only hurts when I swallow saliva but it is fine with eating
    • Edited

I have the same problem. I was finally referred to a gastroenterologist and he scoped me to look at my esophagus. He found that I have a condition called Barrett's esophagus. It's caused from silent reflux (acid reflux that is silent) the acid passes through my esophagus at night while I sleep on my back and gets in my throats and irritates the larynx. That's what is causing the pain. I dealt with this for almost 1 year before I was able to get a logical answer. I take Prilosec,however I have found that tazo mint mosaic green tea helps a bunch. Hope this helps?..

• Posted

Hi, question...was one of your symptoms also trouble swallowing? Or food getting stuck in your throat?

I have similar symptoms except i also feel like food gets stuck in my throat. I recently had an upper endoscopy done as well and awaiting biopsy results. The camera showed suspicious short-segment barrets and mild inflammation in my stomach.

• Posted

Hi Alex... Are your Biopsy results out? Hope all is well. I have recently quit smoking and I had to do so as I had a similar sensation in my throat where I felt like something is stuck. I too felt I wasn't able to swallow and I am still not confident about the swallowing thing. I don't feel the stuck feeling mostly now. My GP has given me pills for acid reflux and I have been taking them for the last 12 days. I don't know what is wrong with me.. Is it acid reflux or is it smoking withdrawal symptoms. I have had a few tests done.. I am thinking of a barium swallow cat scan or upper GI endoscopy as anxiety is killing me.

• Edited

Hi - was there ever a resolution / answer for this? I'm the same. Zero pain or discomfort eating / drinking. But just saliva, I get a sort sharp (like a scratch) sensation in my throat beside my adam's apple.

Prior to this starting I got a case of laryngitis. When it cleared up after a few weeks, this issue remained.

ENT could not see anything, except some inflamation which he chalked up to a virus, which obv can't be right since it's persisted. A more recent ultrasound also came back with noting. . .

Perhaps LPR??

• Posted

I have the exact same symptoms. I know this has been a while for you. Did you ever find out what this was. Thanks in advance. Hope this is better for you
  • Edited

I have been diagnosed with the Mono Virus in April of this year.But the longer i have it the worser off my throat and neck has become.Oh yea also diagnosed with Acid Reflux (GERD).I can swallow food but pieces of it seem to come up in my throat went to thw doctor (PCP)and shes now refering me to and EMT.Seriously I think that something is really wrong with me i have swollen lymph nodes on both sides of my neck

I just stopped smoking wees 2 months ago but didnt feel like that when i was.What if i have cancer.i have two small kids and feel like such a damn fool.I hope that its just the Mono Virus that has my throat so messed up.Just had a CT Scan of my stomach yesterday and it was clear. Can anyone relate to me.I go to the ENT on thursday im praying to GOD for the best .Does anybody else have the same problems????

• Posted

I have had problems with my throat since January something felt stuck in throat finally went to ENT on April 6th he scoped my throat and didn't see anything. The feeling of something stuck went away the next day. He referred me to an allergist and I didn't go. I went to regular Dr. Last week he didnt even touch my throat or anthing and he prescribed me acid reducer and antihistamine. To get a Dr. To listen is damn near impossible. I hate Dr.s. I went on a strict diet as of 3 days ago and started exercising. My left side of throat on outside hurts! Going up into my jaw. If I talk alot my throat inside hurts. I've had lots of symptoms fatigued face tingling chest pain no heartburn.. I don't know what to do from here but Monday I'm making another appointment to a different Dr. And going to try to convince him to do CT scan or berium throat x-ray. I need to know I don't have throat cancer. I smoked weed for 4 years pretty much hourly everyday as of 4 days ago I quit. I chew camel snus frost large pouches for 5 years all day long until I slept. I quit that also a week ago. I drink a couple times a week and it's usually to much 12 plus beers. I quit everything and eating non acid foods. Ive been exercising and just trying to be healthy. Let me know if you have any symptoms like this and what you did!? Thanks
    • Edited

Also have constant throat clearing. And bad breathe and taste! Since January.
    • Posted

I went to my ENT thursday of this week he scoped my throat.U know went thru my nose and checked my throat from the inside.Of course I had to be refered by my PCP so he pretty much knew I had the Mono Virus throat,and just wanted to know nothing was going on besides that.My throat he said was nothing ABNORMAL going on with it except for acid reflux and the mono virus.He said in the next month he wanted to take my tonsils out bc that was probably the reason why I couldn't swallow.So I'm going back to the ENT in 30 days to get checked out again to make sure Nothin has changed since I'm a former smoker just smoked weed Nothin else.I had quit 3 months ago.I hope I was able to give u some type of encouragment.Bc thursday morning I was scared as he'll to go and get my throat checked out but at least I know it's not cancer thanking the LORD ALMIGHTY for that.Will post back soon after my 30days of going to the ENT again.🙏🙏🙏😁
    • Posted

I also had Mono. It seems like I was never right after that. My symptoms are similar to yours. Did you get a diagnosis
    • Edited

LPR. Google it. In many cases acid reflux is silent and is referred to as silent reflux, no heartburn.
    • Posted

Any update to your condition. I have exact same symptoms for last 1 month and its quiet irritating.
    • Posted

What did you ever find out? I have the same issues now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.