Chronic UTIs (5 years ago)

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello! I am 28 years old. I got my first UTI when I was pregnant back in 2010. Since then, I have been on several antibiotics over the past 5 years for chronic UTIs. Every antibiotic that you could possibly think of NO longer works. Every urine culture grows E.Coli as the main bacteria! Since March 2015, I have been taking Keflex 500mg bid for suppressive therapy. Along with taking this, I am still getting breakthrough UTIs. Since August 2015, I have received Rocephin 1g injection every month because I am still getting a UTI. What scares me is to know that I have been on Cipro, Bactrim, Levaquin, Marcobid, etc (you name it) and they all have built resistance toward the bacteria, E.Coli. What happens when Keflex does that? and each antibiotic after that? How am I still getting breakthrough UTIs? I am not sexually active, I don't drink much caffeine (other than coffee), I wipe front to back.

I have seen 4 urologist thus far because I feel they all seem to think suppressive therapy is the only option for me, but can't give me a legit reason as to why all this occurred when I got pregnant and why I am still suffering with it? I get told the same information each time! Same test, procedures, X-rays. It has become overwhelming because what happens when ALL the antibiotics stop working? What are my options then?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear what your going through 

This amount of antibiotics alone will cause your whole body to be in a mess and it's not the right way to treat your UTI you have to put in consideration many other factors like probiotics, drinking lots and lots of water and you're saying it's E.Coli so it's coming from your digestive tract .. why is that ? cos the bad bacteria in your gut is high that it's travelling to your urinary system through soem rout maybe hygienic reasons

try to repopulate your gut with good bacteria that's the main thing and hygiene is veeeeeery important so that the bacteria stops travelling to your urethra

A question if you may what were or are your symptoms ?

I am no Dr but I've been through this and know that it can be painful but you shouldn't give up and try everything you can 

best wishes  

• Posted

Oh dear I am so sad for you.

you need to take some good bacteria to help with the effects of the antibiotics killing all bacteria.

you say you are not sexually active. I do take de mannose after sex as well. Also on this forum somewhere the other day there was someone telling of taking biccarbornate soda. Perhaps that contributor will read this and replicate the benefits.

• Posted

Please look at the Fluoroquinolone Antibiotic Toxicity forum. Cipro and Levaquin belong to this class and produce many and varied adverse reactions. There is a pinned post by the emis moderator with links for further info.

Good luck and be well soon

Plodding on

• Posted

Do you get much soreness with your 'uti'?  I find this soreness unbearable and it's there all the time, I too have been on 4 different antibiotics so far and I still have it, really getting me down now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.