Tibalone & Weight

Posted , 7 users are following.

Tiblone is the best HRT ever; it completely stopped my hot flushes & mood swings.  My GP recently warned me about stroke risk because of my advanced age (69) & I cut down to 1/2 a tablet (1.25mg) per day about three months ago. I've now lost about 5kgs in weight.  GP said it's not possible that this has caused my weight loss & sent me for a CT colonography to check for colon cancer.  The result has just come back as non-urgent.  Could this reduced dose of Tibalone have caused the weight loss after all?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I put on 2 stone in 3 months on tibolone so it definitely causes the gain so I think cutting it down could cause loss too. I was only on it for 3 months as although helped with flushes i couldn't handle the weight gain. Hopefully it will be a good thing that you losing weight and hopefully half dose keeps symptoms away. 😀
    • Posted

Thanks Froggy!  That certainly makes a lot of sense, since I did put on weight when I first started taking it, so why not lose some weight when cutting the dose in half.  Why didn't I think of that, Doh!! 

redface

• Posted

Hi Maureen,

I absolutely think it was the reduction in HRT, I reduced my dosage down to half a tablet and I too lost weight, I now take the full 2mg dose again and I have put it back on, for me the relief I get is worth the extra couple of kgs, but I should not worry too much about what your GP says, why do they always have to make it sound like you are going to become ill if you take HRT

For me it has changed my life and in UK where I live I have just watched a documentary where they now think it is a good thing to be on due to osteo arthritus etc., I think us Girls should just do what we feel and know is best, listen to our own bodies, after all, no-one knows them like us!! Take care x

• Posted

Karen, i just wrote to maureen, by mistake, but it is all sharing anyway, this is what i wrote:

..ah sorry, it wont let me paste!!..i copied but not pasting..but you wil see it under Maurenn where i replied..must be me age after all...no , i just cannot paste it though..all the best to all.

• Posted

hello girls..me back again...Karen you are in uk, and i am interested in that documentary you heard on TV....as you know by previous discusions, i had to come off for my age, i am much older....i was in late 79s then, but it was suiting me all the same, and I HAVE OSTEOARTHRITIS and lots more, Polymyalgia, and Temporal artritis, and since coming off Livial, i have had the heart nurse visit meevery two or three weeks, i have heart failure....i was convinced coming off livial would  upset my system, because of my bones structure etc...i am now on steroids, for a long time, with temporal artritis...arteries in the head that is..and now on oramorph, morphine  liquuid....as well as 8 pain killers a day...i have nearly all symptoms of MS actually, but no one will listen to that, at my age....you are OLD BARBARA, AND ARE 80!! is what they say to me now...and honestly, i really feel very good on and off, but i get very tired, fatigue...which is a symptom of mS...and i am finding a lot of the symptoms i have had in the distant past...so it is all adding up, and keeps me going and busy...as i care for myself, wash and dress takes a long time now....and i wish i had seen that TV programme, because i am certain i could agree to it...it suited me fine, as HRT,   and  for bone structure i am sure..too much going on in my body now i am afraid....so to Maureen, and Karen,and Froggy, i hope you read all this...thank you for sharing...and good luck to you all...in the UK Karen, i find      a lot of doctors want you off, but there are a few out there that agree with what i said, and what was on tv...wish i could have found them...i wrote worldwide at the time, with no success, just had to come off...and summer last year, and autumn, i got worse as time went on...hey ho!..
    • Posted

I have read posts that say coming off later has brought on ms like symptoms. I am 40 and only had hysterectomy and oophorectomy this year so I have long term hrt ahead of me. My Gp said full dose until 55 and reduced dose for as long as I want it provided I don't get any side effects. It was a big news story a few weeks ago about the risks not being as high as first thought and the benefits outweigh risk. Not sure if link will be removed but I'll post just in case http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3278540/Benefits-HRT-outweigh-risks-years-conflicting-advice-major-study-finds-safe.html
    • Posted

Hi Froggy,

I could open the link Thank you for that, be interesting reading for you too Barbara, it is on the same lines as what I saw on TV, like I said it is down to the individual we know what we need and what works for us, for me the quality of life it gives me far outways any negative side effects, if you suffer with certain illnesses of course you should be looking at side effects but if you are relatively healthy then I personally think it is worth taking.

Lots of Love x

• Posted

THANK YOU FOR THAT FROGGY..JUST looked it u p, and read it..very intereseting...will note it all....feel like sending it to my doctor, and others!!...i did not hear about that quite. B.

• Posted

thank you karen..just read it..interesting...wishi had seen that before i went off it last year...onlky just come up though eh.thanks..i am researching it all!!...not that i will get anywhere now , but no harm in trying. B.xx.

• Posted

Hi there again froggy..that's intresting..just realised you said you had read posts that say coing off later has brought on ms like symptoms...you arfe not in uk    are youi....was that on this blog, or in that article..i could not see it...just wondered....i certainly have....and during the last 18 months since coming off Tibolene, i have got so much worse, and to get heart failure really beat me, as i not had anything like that before....it was so sudden...i was o.k. when on livial..hey ho!! i used to argue and plead with doctors, that if i came off livial i would be worse, as i have bone trouble, osteoarthritis, and osteoporosis, and temporal artritis at that time to..didnt make any different, they all had the same opinion, come off them!! i am old!!....and i went right down on steroids quite happily at the time, then i got polymyalgia, and had to iup the steroids high again  since off tibolene....grrrrr...he.he.   i am and have been fighting this, not much i can do about it now i dont think.....just get mad with it!!....especially gynaecology at the hospital saying come off it also. never mind....B.
    • Posted

Hi. Yes I'm in UK. The ms was on a different post on here but I can't find it to link it. It may have been on the menopause forum. I'm not on livial anymore but another hrt now. From what I understand livial is a steroid as it's not true hrt but has same affect as suitable for those that need to stay away from replacement estrogen. I could have misunderstood my consultant but I didn't think so. If you've not been off it long the drs may change mind so it's worth having a discussion to why they wanted you off it and the problems it's causing you. There may be alternatives too. I wish you all the best.
  • Posted

Maureen, could it be that the wt loss is the result of you feeling better overall?  Through my biased lens (I'm an emotionologist), I sense that if your stress level decreased, you potentially - and unconsciously - ate better/less/more often and/or you were a bit more active. What do you think?
  • Posted

Hi Maureen I have been on tibolone for nearly 3 months gained so much weight it's making me feel reaily down you say you split your tablet in half how did you manage this with out shattering it its so small

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.