Menstruation after stopping cyclophosphamide

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone, has had any experience of amenorrhea while on cyclophosphamide and then after stopping it return of menstruation?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I experienced amenorrhea, however, regular mensturation never did return. I was diagnosed with WG in 1983 (I was 16) but did go on to have 2 children to the surprise of all my doctors! 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. It is very nice to know this. Have you had any hormone replacement therapy for the amenorrhea? or was it dysmenorrhea? and for how long did you take the cyclophsophamide?

For me I took cyclo. for 1 year and am now in remission. I have had no periods ever since I was diagnosed.

• Posted

Hello, it was amenorrhea. I did the cyclo for one year, until I developed  hemorrhagic cystitis, then the treatment had to stop. (I have had4  flare ups over the years and am currently undergoing rituxan treatment). 

I did take hormone replacement therapy for approx 25 years, but consider your options carefully. I developed 3 different types of cancer (all within the last 2 years) partially due to the hormones, and partially due to all the chemo for the wegener's I have had to have. May I ask how old you are? 

• Posted

Im 31 now and have been diagnosed a year and a half ago. Taken cyclo for a year too and suffer currently from amenorrhea. Im thinking of hormone replacement as i have only one daughter and hopefully wish to conceive again.

Wish u good health 😀

• Posted

Yes, definitely if you're planning on more kids, try the hormone replacement. Take it for the shortest amount of time possible though. There are many options available now, not so many were available to me.

I wish you good health, and happiness as well! 

• Posted

How long have you had Wegener's.? How are the Rhiruximab treatments going? Do you recommend this form of treatment?
    • Posted

I have had WG since 1982 so many, many years. The Ritixmaub treatments were very uneventful and yes, if this is an option for you, take it! It was only available to me as the previoius med they used (cyclophosphomide) is only allowed to be used by a person 4 times in their life. I had used up this option so my dr had to request special persmission from our provinicial government to approve the ritiximaub. It works well, and no side effects at all! At least for me. With the cyclo, I was so sick! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.