What if nurse didn't shake the vaccine well before use?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've got my third HPV shot done. And I've read instructions to the HPV vaccine (Gardasil) and it says "Shake well before use". I remember during my second shot the nurse didn't shake the vial with vaccine well. Does it mean that the vaccine might be less effective?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The vaccine would not be less effective. The vaccine comes in two forms: the single dose vial and the prefilled syringe. It is not a vaccine has needs to be diluted or reconstituted. If the nurse used the single dose vial (.5 ml), she would have withdrawn the contents of the vial into the syringe and then administed the injection. Good for you Alessa for getting vaccinated against HPV!  I hope the injections were not too painful. My daughter only had slight soreness after her first shot and she got it the same time as her meningitis and tdap shots.
    • Posted

Thank you for the answer, Caroline! Also in instructions it says that after shaking vaccine has to turn into white suspension. But seems like when I got injected second time it wasn't white, it was transparent liquid. But on my third HPV shot nurse did shake well and the liquid became white.
  • Posted

My daughter got the Gardasil-4 vaccine and it was in the green pre-filled syringe. You are correct, it does say shake the vial - or roll the syringe back and forth in your hands. Did it feel any different then your other doses?  If you got the full dose, I think that's what counts. I want my daughter to get the new Gardasil 9 and hoping it will only take a booster shot.
    • Posted

Thank you for the answer, Caroline! I got Gardasil-4 too. I think all the doses felt the same. Although the well shaken one was more painful.         
  • Posted

I've heard from some of my daughter's friends and some say the first one was more painful, some say the second and some say the third. To some it's just another shot. I read that if you get other shots with it that it would make it more painful. My daughter got her meningitis and tdap at the same time - which is what is routinely given at the same time/same age. Some say it's because the vaccine is refrigerated but all vaccines are refrigerated. I think clinical trials showed that 85% of the girls experienced pain from the injection. Some feel it immediately as it gets injected into the arm and most all experience a really sore arm for a day or so afterward. Not sure what makes the Gardasil shot hurt more than any other but I think it's a very good idea to get it and be protected!
    • Posted

Thank you for the answer, Caroline! Yes, I am absloutely agree with you, it's better to protect yourself. I think boys have to get Gardasil too, so HPV will be forgotten in futurebiggrin
    • Posted

Oh absolutely!  They BOTH need to be vaccinated!  If I had a son, you better believe he would have his shots! My daughter is up to date on everything and is always encouraging her friends to get their shots. Have you had the meningitis vaccines?  There is the Menactra AND the Bexsero for the B strain. You really need both - especially if you're a teenager and/or in college. 
    • Posted

The Menactra vaccine protects against strains A,C,Y & W-135. The Bexsero vaccine protects against the B strain and is a series of two shots. It's so important - even though it's rare, meningitis is deadly or can cause loss of limbs. I made sure my daughter got both!  Alessa, Are you in the US or Europe?  
    • Posted

Hello, Caroline! I am in the Eastern Europebiggrin Seems like only Menactra is available here.
    • Posted

Menactra has been around for years now and is a routine vaccination for teens here in the US. They actually recommend two, one at 11-12 years of age and another one at 17-18 prior to entering college. The meningitis B vaccine - there are two recently approved - Bexsero and Trumemba. Bexsero is given in two doses, Trumemba given in three doses. If you don't have access to one or both of them now, you should very soon. It's not a required vaccine yet, but it is highly recommended. Many of the meningitis outbreaks at colleges here were because of the "B" strain. I would definitely get it when it becomes available to you. BTW did you get the BCG vaccination? 
    • Posted

I knew they gave it in European countries to prevent TB. I understand it was given to teenagers at one time but now given mostly to infants. I never got it since they have never given it here in the US. I know it sometimes leaves a scar on your arm similar to the smallpox vaccination we used to get. 
    • Posted

Yes, it leaves a little scar but mine is not noticeable. As I know, in US TB is considered as a defeated disease so that's why no more BCG vaccination there I guess.
  • Posted

The US has always tested for it but never vaccinated against it. I remember getting tested in school. Medical personnel get tested. It's called the PPD test where they inject a tiny bit of tuberculin under the skin in the forearm and then read the reaction 42-78 hrs later. There is also the multiple-puncture device used for testing. I think we're seeing more TB here now due to the number of immigrants from foreign countries coming in. It's good you got vaccinated. Always better to be safe than sorry. We would get it if it was offered. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.