Son has chip on hip..getting tested for perthes

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi

Was at A&E with my 4yrold son today. He woke up with extreme pain in one leg (right leg)and couldn't walk. He had complained yesterday that his leg was sore but I didn't think much of it.

He had an x Ray and blood test which came back normal. They said his right hip is just inflamed and recommended calpol and nurofen.

However they said that while they were doing the x Ray they noticed there was small chip out his left hip and they want to check him for perthes disease.

How worried should I be? His limp was in the other leg. Ive never even heard of this disease.

Thsnks so much in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for the troubles you are going through.  Before you panic, wait till the results come back.  If he does have perthes just make sure your doctor is very knowledgeable about perthes.  Dont feel bad about getting a 2nd opinion, if you do go to childrens hospital where they treat and see hundreds of these problems.  What you do will determine your childs healthly outcome. Take Care
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. Hoping it's nothing. Will just wait and see in two weeks. He has only had x Ray so not sure what else consultant will do.
  • Posted

Hi Natasha

Igot a diagnosis now of perthes in left hip. Its not showing in right hip but he said as limping started there, that it could develop. He is taking a wait and see approach. Im devastated for my son but the doctor is optimistic. He said it is grade1. Im back in three months and in the meantime have to stop him jumping, going on trampoline and running too much. That will be the hard part as he is so active! on the good side, he doesnt seem to be in pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.